I just got an electronic kit!!

KzSgDrummer

Silver Member
It's a ten-year-old Roland TD-8, but I got it for free! It was my bassist's, but he never used it (and he happens to like me haha). Anyway, I integrated it into the acoustic kit and put it to use at a gig Friday night:

img7643.jpg

img7636q.jpg

A closer look at the setup while the kit was at home:

img7621p.jpg

img7644.jpg

And if you want to see me with my band, check out this vid of us from February -- Stun Gun

Last edited:
that's very cool. My bassist is a gear head and has all kinds of weird instruments. He has yet to show me a set of ele. drums. :)

Looks very natural the way you integrated it with your acoustic kit. What I like most about electronics is, they are always in tune and sound good.

Nice music your band's doing.. I like that funky vocal space.. nice drumming too ( of what I could hear....thanks youtube)

How do you like the 2 kits set up together? Does that work for you?

Do you have your own amp, or do you run it through the mains? How does it sound mixed with the acoustic in a live setting? Do you have any issues with crosstalk when playing live?

Looks good. Thats a great deal!

First, thanks for all the complements.

Second, I just got this thing a week ago, and I'm still tweaking everything there is to tweak (physical setup, sound presets, mixes, ect.) since I'm still so new to it all.

I ran it through the PA at the gig and I honestly have no idea how it sounded to the audience because there was only two monitors for the entire band, and I never got a chance to have someone else sit in on the kit while I wander out into the house. So while I could sorta hear them playing through the speakers, it was soft, and I just had to make the assumption that the sound guy knew what he was doing. I do plan on getting my own amp soon though.

Also, I did have issues with crosstalk at first, but I turned the sensitivity down and the threshold waaay up, and I haven't had any problems since.

As for whether I like the mix of electro and acoustic, all I can say right now is that it's all completely new to me; judgement day is still a ways off. I'm not used to having so many things to hit on my left-hand side, so there's that whole issue of getting comfortable with a new physical setup. Then there's the issue of constantly changing the sounds (there's 1,024 to choose from) and not remembering what's where. That piece of paper you see sitting on my snare drum in the "at home" picture was me writing down every sound for every preset I planned on using at the gig.

Lastly, there's the issue of wanting a bass drum sound (my band likes to fatten our sound up with an 808 kick) but having to deal with trying to play bass drum patterns with my hands. It's not THE most awkward thing in the world, but it's gonna take some getting used to!

Last edited:
I did some reading, and it seems that if you want more of a selection in terms of amps, you can go with a keyboard amp. Everything I've read online warns against using bass amps, or guitar amps.

I'm going to run a program called EZdrummer through my TD3 with my laptop. It has great sounding drum samples, I'm just nervous about performing with an ekit until I really get the sound thing figured out. Keep us posted on the live stuff as you continue to figure it out.

Also, great idea assigning an 808 kick to one of the pads... I think its important as you learn about this stuff that you realize you can trigger ANY sample. This may come in handy with the other members of the band as well.

Thanks for the advice. And trust me, my band is salivating at the prospects of being able to put samples/loops/whatever on that thing. The singer just got a new laptop, so maybe the older one he had been using can now go to me. We'll see, and I'll definitely post updates.

Thanks for the advice. And trust me, my band is salivating at the prospects of being able to put samples/loops/whatever on that thing. The singer just got a new laptop, so maybe the older one he had been using can now go to me. We'll see, and I'll definitely post updates.

I like it. I thought your band was ace.

Nothing like getting free gear. Great score. Hope you get it all figured out. I've been contemplating incorporating some electronic components into my kit. If money were no object, I would have done so already.

my bassist is wierd like that has so much gear he aint given me n e thing yt :(

but he is rather annoying cos he can play rock band he thinks he can play drums grrr it annoys me so much especially when his technique actuaally hurts my drums :mad:

EDIT: are you talking about at the Friday night show, or the one you see in the youtube video?

If Friday night, then yes it was "mixed in." If the youtube vid, then no, there were no e-drums. The toms sound processed, but that's because they were miked and you're hearing them through the PA.

Last edited:
Nothing like getting free gear. Great score. Hope you get it all figured out. I've been contemplating incorporating some electronic components into my kit. If money were no object, I would have done so already.

yea i'm with you. I'd like to get some stuff going as well but there is a long list of things that are more important.

I did some reading, and it seems that if you want more of a selection in terms of amps, you can go with a keyboard amp. Everything I've read online warns against using bass amps, or guitar amps.

So true. Guitar and bass amps are designed for the frequencies of a guitar and bass respectively, and are no designed to cover the whole range required to get the lows of a bass drum and the highs of cymbals.

Keyboard amp are designed for the frequency whole range. Roland also makes a amp specifically for their e-drums.

my bassist is wierd like that has so much gear he aint given me n e thing yt :(

but he is rather annoying cos he can play rock band he thinks he can play drums grrr it annoys me so much especially when his technique actuaally hurts my drums :mad:

Tell him to bugger off your drums until he can play REAL drums.

Back