It's Saturday night! Why don't I have a gig?

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
Just wondering...is anyone else feeling the crunch of the economy right now?

The holiday season is coming soon, and the holiday gigs are lined up, but I'm wondering what I'm doing home on a Saturday night posting on Drummerworld instead of playing out.

Can anyone relate?

I'm no longer in the band that used to play parties, corporate events and such. That's ok, things are looking up and should start doing shows with 2nd band in December.

to be honest i can't say i am, i can't shop at what once was my favorite store in germany because of the €xhange rate but apart from that it's pretty much fine. Our band has our first gig lined up tomorrow, in my band-mates' school hall. I've played in my school before but this school is a performing arts college so maybe they're gonna be really critical, especially seeing how absolutely useless my drumming is. Well whatever happens it's gonna be fun (and by that i mean terrible) Mind you can't be as bad as some of the you-tube vids you see of bands.

Interesting topic. I haven't played gigs for sometime now, but I never really contemplated the impact a low economy would have on them. I guess it all rolls down eventually, I think.

What's the scene in Portland? I'm guessing that there's a certain amount of competition there for the high-paying holiday gigs. Do you generally work for the same contractor? When I was playing those kinds of gigs I always worked for the same guy, but he had a good amount of competition so I would find myself with the occassional weekend off. And he had a big book of mostly "jazz-flavored" music, so if people wanted a rock band he wouldn't get the call.
He tells me that times are tough for everyone, that a lot of people are hiring DJs now. Cheaper to hire one guy than four. What he has going for him is connections with catering companies and party arrangers. Keeps him working, but even he's starting to feel the pinch. So you're definitely not alone.

Back