Broken Snare Strainer

beany_22

Hey, i have a Nickel Drumworks snare throw off that snapped a few days ago, i'm just wondering if anybody knows any other throw off's on the market, more readily available that have the same specifications as this. I can't find anywhere in the UK that has them and I don't really fancy drilling my shell.

Thanks for replies.

Cheers for the reply's.

I've been looking at the Trick for quite a while, even before the break, but couldn't find any information about the hole spaces online anywhere, if that's definitely going to fit, then there's no doubt i'm gonna go for that one.

Basically, i had a jam session with a few friends and left my snare in my car overnight without it's case. I came back to it in the morning and it was snapped in half. At a complete guess, the tension and the temperature was too much for it. That's the only thing i can think.

Basically, i had a jam session with a few friends and left my snare in my car overnight without it's case. I came back to it in the morning and it was snapped in half. At a complete guess, the tension and the temperature was too much for it. That's the only thing i can think.

Strange.....I can't see the temperature in Leeds being that extreme that it would cause a throw off to break. Sure it didn't get dropped or otherwise damaged without the case?

Please post some pics.
I have to see this to understand what has happened.

Yeah, i'm grasping at straws here to get an explanation. It didn't take any knocks, no bumps, nothing.

The snap is totally clean, i glued it and taped it for a much needed temporary fix. Needless to say i only got about half an hours play from it.

DSCF0714.jpg

DSCF0713.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

Taken quickly just now.

It looks like it simply developed a crack that spread until it just gave out.

Nickel throwoffs are prone to breakage. Since day one they have had these problems and I don't think they ever rectified them.

They are plastic and they move and they are bolted onto things that get beaten. All that = disaster.

Nickel throwoffs are prone to breakage. Since day one they have had these problems and I don't think they ever rectified them.

They are plastic and they move and they are bolted onto things that get beaten. All that = disaster.

Nickels are made of polycarbonate, used for bullet proofing, auto engines and other high-stress applications. Many kinds of plastic are stronger than steel; the weakness of plastics is temperature (although there are some plastics that can withstand high heat).

I baffles me how this could break, unless it was dropped, or there is some design flaw. If it was very cold, that would make it brittle perhaps. But it undeniably has been broken!

Nickels are made of polycarbonate, used for bullet proofing, auto engines and other high-stress applications. Many kinds of plastic are stronger than steel; the weakness of plastics is temperature (although there are some plastics that can withstand high heat).

I baffles me how this could break, unless it was dropped, or there is some design flaw. If it was very cold, that would make it brittle perhaps. But it undeniably has been broken!
It has to be a design flaw because the polycarbonate parts on automotive engines only fail when an engine is severely overheated.
They go through cold and hot cycles that range from -40F to +300F repeatedly for the life of the vehicle that these engines are in.
Every so often I see an intake manifold or a valve cover fail for no apparent reason.
They usually fail at a place where hot metal or steam from overheated coolant or exhaust gas was allowed to be in contact with the polycarb.
When it fails it always cracks open.
It is brittle, if it is dropped or struck very hard, it can crack and break.
If that snare wasn't dropped in a really hard fall then it is a design flaw.

Last edited:
Back