Songs that totally rock out

Another vote for Them Crooked Vultures, but for me it's Reptiles, man I love that intro! Just sooo cool!

And now I'm gonna throw out two by The Mars Volta since I can't seem to stop listening to them:
1. Teflon (from Octehedron) coolest 4/4 pulse that feels more like a 3, 3, 2 grouping. Very slick. Oh, and Cotopaxi.
2. The Bedlam in Goliath (pretty much the whole record).

I know there's been a bit of controversy on this topic recently, but I'm gonna do it anyway:

Thomas Pridgen is not only the BEST drummer on the planet, he's also the COOLEST.

(oh man, that was fun! hehe!) Is there anyone who has this much fun when they play? He makes me laugh my ass off!

I was just reading the other day that he's left handed but plays righty on a righty kit (like Stewart Copeland, hmmm). No wonder he has such a strong bite. He pushing me more and more in the open-handed direction because I'm increasingly thinking that that's what gives you that bite - having the dominant hand nailing those back beats with zero Bonham-esque slop (at least that the effect it has on me when I play open-handed).

Last edited:
Any Mars Volta tune. They are my all time favorite band for their ability to 'jam' live and recorded.

Viscera Eyes, Roulette Dares, Ouroborous, Cotopaxi.

I always like the David Coverdale years also. I love "Burn" now there is a tune that totally rocks out some of Ian Paice's best drumming IMO that whole album is killer.

Keep swattin"
Bonzolead

BURN is one of my favorites. Especially the version from Made In Europe.

I have to add another one that I somehow forgot until now.

Elephants by Them Crooked Vultures at 1:02.

I love how they tend to do the opposite as far as "bringin' it." Just like with No One Loves Me... they have a light, but fast build-up then BAM! A focused explosion in slow motion.

One of the very varied on the IPod during this mornings walk...Crazy On You, Heart...great guitar intro and then just rocks out (for me anyway)...

Yeah Derek - Jimi's Fire was great RnR. It was always a great one to get the crowd going with one of my old bands.

A few more - Lou Reed's Rock and Roll has a middle section where the guitar is approaches a bit like a "banjo". Bass solo under the banjo guitar at around 6mins is a killer. Then at 7:30 there's a blistering guitar solo. There's a lot you can do with two chords!

This clip of the Chilli Pepper's Suck My Kiss feels like a hymn to hedonism. These are not boys you take home to mother!

And this thread isn't complete without RATM's Killing in the Name. Always loved the builds at around 2:20 and 3:50. It just goes off.

And this thread isn't complete without RATM's Killing in the Name. Always loved the builds at around 2:20 and 3:50. It just goes off.

Calm like a Bomb

Rage Against the Machine

I probably play both once a week!

Hysteria by Muse is a great song on drums and bass

also

Set the Ray to Jerry by the Smashing Pumpkins is very unique. It's a b-side but it should have been on an album. =(

1. Teflon (from Octehedron) coolest 4/4 pulse that feels more like a 3, 3, 2 grouping. Very slick. Oh, and Cotopaxi.
2. The Bedlam in Goliath (pretty much the whole record).

How is Octehedron? The reviews I read said it was TMV's "ballad" album and that kinda turned me off to it 'cause i was never crazy about the slower TMV songs (except The Widow which is awesome, and maybe a few others). But seeing a song from it in a "Songs that Rock" thread is making me rethink that...

A song that I always have to turn up and just rock out to is...

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way

Especially at the bass solo. To me, this song is it!

Yeah Derek - Jimi's Fire was great RnR. It was always a great one to get the crowd going with one of my old bands.

A few more - Lou Reed's Rock and Roll has a middle section where the guitar is approaches a bit like a "banjo". Bass solo under the banjo guitar at around 6mins is a killer. Then at 7:30 there's a blistering guitar solo. There's a lot you can do with two chords!

This clip of the Chilli Pepper's Suck My Kiss feels like a hymn to hedonism. These are not boys you take home to mother!

Hey Polly if you like "Rock & Roll" by Lou Reed you should have a listen too the version by "Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels" I like LR version but the MR version is more Rocked Out IMO of course.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

"Take Your Time (Coming Home)" by fun.

fun. is a great band that I think most people would enjoy. They aren't the type to normally "rock out" as most of their songs are of the catchy "nod-your-head" type, but the last track on their debut album (the only one so far) is one of the best jams I have ever heard.

Also, I agree that the last half of "Flood" by Tool rocks pretty hard.

Back