Stanton Moore here

Re: Stanton Moore

Hmm... strange thing... Why was my latest post redirected to this thread, from 'technique' section?

anyone know if there's much else in the book that you can;t get from the two dvds and the pdf file on vic firth from one of his drum clinics???

kacperivo said:
Hmm... strange thing... Why was my latest post redirected to this thread, from 'technique' section?

Sorry Kacperivo

Made just a direct link from Stantons Drummerworld-Site to this thread - and thought your points are very interesting...

Bernhard

Hackanut said:
this guy is one of my favorite drummers of all time, I love his style and how its so unique to the world of drumming today. what do you guys think of him? has he influenced anyone else like he has me?

Corey

Yeah... looking at your avatar, it's hard to think that Stanton's not your favorite drummer ;). He's really unique. To be honest, I started playing drums seriously thanks to "Blues for Ben". This tune, and Stanton's playing in general also turned my drum preferences 180 degrees (from Premier + Zildjian to Gretsch + Bosphorus). So... how could I say, he hasn't influenced me? ;)

To Bernhard: Oh, okay:). I was just curious what happened. Thanks for the info!

When Galactic was in town a month or so ago I actually got a private lesson from Stanton. It was the best experience of my life. The best part of it was that it was only $100 for an hour. I guess most people dont know it but at his website it says that he gives Master classes, clinics, and private lessons. I just sent a e-mail and it was set up. I got to play on his set on the H.O.B stage. I must say his cymbals and drums sound amazing. They were just tuned perfectly.
I was worried that he would just go over stuff from his DVD's, but he really made a point not too. One of my friends had seen him in a clinic and said that he really just tried to promote his DVD and concentrated on his DVD, He really didnt and that made me glad.
He was a great guy and very nice and it was worth every pennie. If Galactic is ever in town I would try and get a lesson because its worth it.

I wonder if they will let me just meet Stanton at the Galactic show I'm going to? I really dont have the money for something like a lesson but I would really like to just talk to him for a little bit. anyone else going to this show?

Corey

I just got the new Stanton Moore album "III" and it is sooo good. Oh, it's a drummers album. He is an amazing player, I love his style and he whales on the new COC album as well.

I got back from seeing the Stanton Moore trio at Snug harbor in The French quarter about three hours ago. It may have been the most amazing display of musicianship I have ever seen. Got to meet the man... I was starstruck and nervous but he was really down to earth and friendly. All I could think to say was "I love your book and dvds" then I just kinda stood there. Snug harbor was such a great place to see them.

What a great day (Stanton Moore and new hats inside)!

Well, today has been quite a day for somedrummer.

Between classes he was able to make it down to his local music shop to buy a drumhead for Stanton Moore to potentially sign. On the way, he stopped in at his favorite pawn shop. He noticed a pair of hi hats marked $75. Well, he wasn't sure whether he wanted them or not, so he proceeded downt o the music store, found the head which he wanted (12" Coated Ambassador), and started on his way back. But before he got far, he realized that he should really go buy those 13" Paiste Dimensions Light Hats for $70!!! So he went to the bank, cashed a check, and went into that pawn shop and bought those hats.

Then he went back to school, sat around for a few moments whilst waiting for class to start, and once it was over, proceeded to sit in for the Jazz Ensemble rehearsal. He let the drummer use his new hats, and he was very impressed. Afterwards, somedrummer rehearsed with his jazz combo, and everything sounded quite good.

Soon after he finished with this, somedrummer had to make his way to his trumpet player's car so as to drop of his new cymbals at his car. Now, on the way to the car, somedrummer happened to spy a gigantic RV, with some funny-looking Louisianans. These just happened to be the members of the band Galactic, which somedrummer was planning to see that very night! So somedrummer got out his head which he had bought earlier that day, shook Stanton's hand, and asked him if he would sign a drumhead for somedrummer. And he did! (Pics will be posted when somedrummer has the means).

Now, somedrummer was a bit starstruck all the way up until the concert actually began. He dropped off his new treasures in his car, and proceeded to be the first one into the concert, which only less than 200 attended. He got to stand right in front, with a perfect view of Mr. Moore's hands and his 26" bass drum. He was quite amazed by Mr. Moore's ability, and his sheer power to groove! So, between sets, Mr. Moore came out to sign autographs, and somedrummer of course obliged and bought a CD, which he also had Mr. Moore sign. Somedrummer chatted with Mr. Moore about a mindblowing fill that he had used, which somedrummer could not quite make sense of. Well, neither could Mr. Moore, as he had trouble explaining it himself!

So, somedrummer proceeded to be rocked by a great 4 hours of music. And at the end, his friend who worked backstage passed him a set list of the whole show, with every song marked off.

What a great day.

Re: What a great day (Stanton Moore and new hats inside)!

Awesome man. I'm hanging out in hope that galactic will tour Aus some day. Man Stanton is amazing...

Biz

Woah - You've just converted me to a funkateer! Hah.. after checking out Galactics myspace, im really pumped to learn more then the few funk grooves i know now, and to focus on buying some cd's, such as parliament and galactic, very cool stuff.

Thankyou! and pleased to hear you had a good time!

Awesome day! I remember Stanton Moore came to my local drum store to give a 1 hour drum clinic( which ended up lasting 2 hours) like 8 months... damn that guy could groove! And he was def. a cool and down to earth guy.

Stanton Moore just made me aware, that he opened now his own forum on his website.

He also read all messages here - and said, that it was fun to read.

Stantons Forum is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
Stanton Moore just made me aware, that he opened now his own forum on his website.

He also read all messages here - and said, that it was fun to read.

Stantons Forum is here:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/

Bernhard

Ooh... I wonder if he recognized me by my posts. I pretty much wouldn't leave him alone all night. I stood around picking his brain and just watching him. Well, hi Stanton, this is Robert, the guy who accosted you outside your bus and got you to sign a drumhead. Thanks again, as you can tell, it means a lot to me!

Sorry to bump a thread after three months, BUT

I've owned Galactic's "Coolin' Off" for years, but never really sat down and gave it a good listen until hearing/watching some of Stanton Moore's clips on the drummerworld page. Listening to it right now, and want to pick up some more of his and/or their stuff. Looking particularly for stuff that is leaning (but not completely) towards the specifically traditional New Orleans kind of stuff as opposed to the more modern (though clearly Nola, particularly Meters, influenced) funk. A few recs, especially stuff that might be more likely to actually be in stock in a good, but not all encompassing record store.

Thanks much, y'all.

Back