Most adjustable pedals?

HMNY

Silver Member
I have a DW 3000 single pedal, and as I have returned to drumming and have got more comfortable behind the kit, I am having problems getting this pedal set up right for me. Having looked around at various manufacturers websites, I am looking for as much adjustment as possible (without breaking the bank, Trick, Axis etc), ideally, having pedal board height adjustment independent of spring tension or beater angle, and y additional permutations of this.

I have thought about the DW5000, as it is "the industry standard", and although it seems to have much better bearings for a smoother action, does not offer any more adjust-ability than the 3000.

I'd appreciate feedback on other pedals, set up tips, etc.

Thanks

I would say the Pearl Demon Drive is probably the most adjustable. However, I have played many pedals with far fewer adjustments that I like far better. I used a Demon Drive for a little under a year before I finally decided that all the adjustments in the world just wouldn't make that pedal feel right to me. All pedals feel better to different people, no matter how many adjustments.

I'd appreciate feedback on other pedals, set up tips, etc.

You may want to consider the Mapex Falcon, I purchased mine last year, after using a Tama Camco for 28 years.

I wanted a "modern" pedal, with all the fancy adjustement possible, but I also wanted to check some different cams, different drive system and so on, I was seduced by the Falcon, because it offers all these possibilities within one pedal.

The standard pedal comes with the following:

1. Independant footboard angle adjustement.
2. Independant beater angle adjustement.
3. Two different cams (glide cam and pursuit cam)
4. Two different drive system (chains and strap) also a direct drive syteme at optional cost.
5. Reversible beater (felt and rubber) with exchangeable weights (10 or 20 gramms, or no weight)

Plus a few other worthy options, you can choose many setting options, and you genuinely feel a difference between any settings.

I ended up using the glide cam, the strap drive with the 20g weight fitted into the beater, as well as personalised angles of both the footboard and the beater, it's been a revelation, I love it.

Link: http://www.falconpedal.com/

I would have to say the Trick Pro 1v. In my opinion a beautiful and great feeling pedal with adjustments out the kazoo. All the adjustments are either made by hand or simply a drum key.

DSC_0186-1.jpg

Dennis

Dennis, that is a work or art, not a pedal! That really is the most impressive piece of kit, I'd have to attach it to the front hoop of my bass drum to show it off!

Unfortunately, out of my budget range I fear. I did spend some time looking at an Iron Cobra in some detail last night, and was very impressed with what is adjustable on this, and I think it's comparable in price to the Mapex.

Thanks to all for your feedback, please feel free to chime in!

Last edited:
Tama Iron Cobra pedals are very nice pedals in my opinion, I own four of them. I have the Power glide double, a Power glide single, a Flexi glide that I just bought about a month ago and a vintage Rolling glide. The vintage Rolling glide is basically bare bones, but all the rest are very adjustable pedals. The newer pedals also come with the "Cobra Coil" for an adjustable assisted foot board return. I've been using Tama pedals for a very long time with no major issues, just spring replacement now and again.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I am starting to think I'll go for a rolling glide single, good to hear you like them so much!

Tama Iron Cobra pedals are very nice pedals in my opinion, I own four of them. I have the Power glide double, a Power glide single, a Flexi glide that I just bought about a month ago and a vintage Rolling glide. The vintage Rolling glide is basically bare bones, but all the rest are very adjustable pedals. The newer pedals also come with the "Cobra Coil" for an adjustable assisted foot board return. I've been using Tama pedals for a very long time with no major issues, just spring replacement now and again.

Dennis

Playing a Tama kit and having been faithfull to the Tama Camco for all these years, my first thought went on the Cobra familiy, the power glide, the rolling glide, the flexi glide, the speed cobra, since I wanted to try and experiment the different feel of all these models, but when I saw the Falcon, it was it, this pedal is offering all the possibility of the cobras, in terms of cams and drive system, into a single clever design, Tama could have easily done the Iron Cobra with the same design, ie: providing the 2 cams and the 2 drive system (chains & strap), it's all build on the same basic frame.

I actually have recently gone from a Demon Drive (posted in the classified thread), to an old 80's Tama Camco. Less adjustments, but I was able to find the beater/footboard angle that suits me best and I prefer the more natural feel of the single chain/round cam/no base plate. I feel like I'm more connected to the pedal where as a lot of the ultra smooth over engineered pedals almost feel mechanical tomorrow and so smooth there is almost a disconnect between me and the bass drum.

I am starting to think I'll go for a rolling glide single, good to hear you like them so much!
Get your foot on one, before you "splash the cash". I played a DW5000 single, for quite a while. Jumped ship when the Yamaha Direct Drive got under my foot. I'll probably play that pedal, 'til the day I die. But, I wouldn't have "known" that, if I hadn't played one.​
Same with double pedals. I went from a Gibraltar, to a DW, to an Off-Set ..... and now I play a Sleishman. But I wouldn't have bought a Sleishman, had I not played one. Let your foot/feet, be the judge.​

Harry, you are of course correct, I actually tried out the IC at the local GC, as well as the new DW5000 and the Pearl 2000 (I think). I got a stool and sat with all three pedals. Given the DW 5000 was almost the same price as the IC, it was out of the picture fairly quickly as it had less in terms of adjustabilty.

Before I pull the trigger I'll go back for round 2, I'm still undecided if I'll trade in my old pedal, and no doubt get a lousy trade in value, or try and sell online.

Thanks for your input.

Get your foot on one, before you "splash the cash". I played a DW5000 single, for quite a while. Jumped ship when the Yamaha Direct Drive got under my foot. I'll probably play that pedal, 'til the day I die. But, I wouldn't have "known" that, if I hadn't played one.​
Same with double pedals. I went from a Gibraltar, to a DW, to an Off-Set ..... and now I play a Sleishman. But I wouldn't have bought a Sleishman, had I not played one. Let your foot/feet, be the judge.​

Excellent advice Harry. I played speed kings for 5 years, 5000's for 20 some odd years then got a 9000 and thought wow what an upgrade. Then I went with a yamaha direct drive and well in my book it feels so much better than any of the other pedals I've used or tried and I got a discontinued one brand new in box for $100 and it's super adjustable. The one I have is the 9415 If you keep your eyes open and look they pop up occasionally on ebay.

HI guys,

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting this question on the wrong thread but... currently I have the DW8002 pedals and I love them, they are just getting old (wear and tear) but with the DWs there is a way to put the beater on each 'pedal' even with the link attached. I use two bass drums for gigs and a one bass drum for practice. So with the DW8002 its no problem I jus have to move the beater to the other pedal back and forth. I was wondering if this was possible with the Pearl demon drives? I really like these pedals cause they feel comfortable for me... Thanks in advance for your help!!

I would say the Pearl Demon Drive is probably the most adjustable. However, I have played many pedals with far fewer adjustments that I like far better. I used a Demon Drive for a little under a year before I finally decided that all the adjustments in the world just wouldn't make that pedal feel right to me. All pedals feel better to different people, no matter how many adjustments.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say! In my opinion, I think it would be better to go find a pedal that just feels right and doesn't need to be adjusted. I owned the Demon Drives for about a year thinking that I'd be able to adjust the pedal as my tastes changed, but ultimately I wanted a heavier feeling pedal and I just couldn't get that feeling out of the pedal. I'm now using the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide and couldn't be happier! And I haven't adjusted the pedal at all! (Although I have been curious as to how it would feel without the spring under the footboard).

Did you buy your new pedal yet?

-Jonathan

HI guys,

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting this question on the wrong thread but... currently I have the DW8002 pedals and I love them, they are just getting old (wear and tear) but with the DWs there is a way to put the beater on each 'pedal' even with the link attached. I use two bass drums for gigs and a one bass drum for practice. So with the DW8002 its no problem I jus have to move the beater to the other pedal back and forth. I was wondering if this was possible with the Pearl demon drives? I really like these pedals cause they feel comfortable for me... Thanks in advance for your help!!

I'm not sure I understand..what do you mean by "with the link attached"? Can you describe more what you're doing exactly?

I'm sorry..I don't really know the correct term for it. Its the connector for the two pedals--that's what I mean by the link. What I'm doing is...when using two bass drums with this pedal I switch the beater to be on the left pedal. And I was wondering if this is possible with the Pearl Demon Drive.
In short I want to know if I buy a pearl Demon drive double bass pedal will I be able to use two bass drums? Can I switch the beater to be on the left pedal?

Thanks-- Sorry for the confusion

"Did you buy your new pedal yet?

-Jonathan "

Yes I did, I went for the Iron Cobra powerglide, so far so good, I am playing it straight out of the box, to get myself familiar with the pedal, so far it is nice and smooth and I can feel the difference. So, so far I am happy with my purchase.

Thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts.

Back