Sad Truth about my Gibraltar stands.....

Joey182

Silver Member
I was playing today and my Gibraltar stands were wiggling and rocking back and forth!
I went to my closet and pulled out some old SP (Sound Percussion) 30$ stands, and to be honest I like these more! I don't really have any more wiggle on my crash's and splash's stands.
Good thing is that I'm getting DW stands!!!!

Joey, Are you ever happy with what you have?
When I was 15 all that I cared about was that I had cymbal stands.
If they wiggled a bit it wasn't a problem for me.
As long as I could hang a pie on them I was good to go.

All stands flex a bit.
Its normal!

i have really really light weight stands from pdp. i hate how they rock, but i just added a sandbag onto the bottom to stop the rocking. i'm gonna see if i can mount my toms on the stands or not. and good thing i didnt buy any gibraltar stands when i started out.

If they wiggled a bit it wasn't a problem for me.
As long as I could hang a pie on them I was good to go.

All stands flex a bit.
Its normal!

These are ROCKING though! To where my 300+$ pies are about to go to the ground!
I had to catch the stand and that's when I knew!

Sounds like a setup issue to me. I have the double braced gibraltar stands and they dont even move an inch. They will if i have a heavy cymbal right at the end of a boom and smash it, but that just common sense stuff.

I even use a gibraltar snare stand and its amazing, it doesnt even move, and i only have the legs half extended. I would take a better look at your setup and see if that works

Why don't you just tighten them up?

had me same gibraltar hardware for about 6 - 7 years now (don't remember which model though - nothing top notch, that's for sure) and i can't say i've had any problems with them. they are about as rock solid as they can get. the same goes for the cymbal as well as the snare stand.

check your setup, man :)

If you mean that they're rocking because of how far they are boomed out with a cymbal on them, check that your boom arm is in line with one of the three legs on the base.

The booms have about 8-9 inches of boom left.
The snare stands I agree with! I have 3.
The cymbals booms are in line with one leg as well!
I'll just go to DW in a month or something. 6000 series.

For total rigidity I wouldn't go for DW's 6000 series. They're OK if you never expect to add a tom mount, but for something a little heavier and sturdy, check out their 7000 single brace or their 5000 double brace stands if you must have DW hardware. I have the 9000 series and can hang just about any multiples from them. They're heavy, so they usually stay in the studio.

There are a lot of different makes of hardware out there that are very road worthy. Manufacturers that come to mind are Yamaha, Tama and Pearl. I use them all and haven't had a bit of problems with them.

Dennis

For total rigidity I wouldn't go for DW's 6000 series. They're OK if you never expect to add a tom mount, but for something a little heavier and sturdy, check out their 7000 single brace or their 5000 double brace stands if you must have DW hardware. I have the 9000 series and can hang just about any multiples from them. They're heavy, so they usually stay in the studio.

There are a lot of different makes of hardware out there that are very road worthy. Manufacturers that come to mind are Yamaha, Tama and Pearl. I use them all and haven't had a bit of problems with them.

Dennis

Does a 5000 cost more or less than a 6000. Also I'm not going to pay that much for a 9000 Cymbal stand!
I don't hang toms from my stands. I hang them on tom stands

Quoted for truth.

I'll have to dig through my parents' garage and find my old ride stand. I welded it up from scrap steel, used it for years. Ugly, and completely non-adjustable, but it held my ride out over my bass drum just fine.

Quoted for truth.

I'll have to dig through my parents' garage and find my old ride stand. I welded it up from scrap steel, used it for years. Ugly, and completely non-adjustable, but it held my ride out over my bass drum just fine.
Some of the kids that come on here have gear that would make some pros blush!
I don't have anything against them having it.
More power to them!
I just don't see the need.

Did you ever think about getting rid of one of your rack toms and bolt a cymbal mount holder to your bass drum. I attached a gibraltar cymbal mount holder to my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz bass drum. I love it. One less cymbal stand to lug around, and the cymbal is in a better positioned to play on, instead trying to get the cymbal stand legs in a good playing postion because the stand legs are hitting the bass drum or floor tom, or its to close to the rack tom. I think it looks cool and its a throw back from the old kits.

Did you ever think about getting rid of one of your rack toms and bolt a cymbal mount holder to your bass drum. I attached a cymbal mount holder to my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz bass drum. I love it. One less cymbal stand to lug around, and the cymbal is in a better positioned to play on, instead trying to get the cymbal stand legs in a good playing postion because the stand legs are hitting the bass drum or floor tom, or its to close to the rack tom. I think it looks cool and its a throw back from the old kits.

I don't have any toms mounted on my bass. I play a "virgin" kick drum, and the one rack tom I have is to the left of the bass.

Back