Best Harmony

Do they change the harmonies from the originals? I guess the question is, who is responsible in a case like that, the original composer or the arranger?

Ahh, understood now! I would submit the arranger is responsible for the chordal structures of the harmonies unless the performance is a straight stick reading of the original composition.

Ahh, understood now! I would submit the arranger is responsible for the chordal structures of the harmonies unless the performance is a straight stick reading of the original composition.

There are some things added in King's Singers arrangements, either extra chord members or totally different harmonies, that definitely qualify the arranger as getting some credit for the final effect.

https://youtu.be/pm2WHnFMiTQ

The King's Singers doing The Boxer. It seems straight-ahead until the last verse, then suddenly Wow! It brings tears to my eyes, just takes my breath away, so moving and powerful.

Definitely the Eagles. A couple lesser known bands, Sister Hazel, and Truth & Salvage Company have great harmonies.

There are so many out there. My parents exposed me to the Four Freshmen when I was a child and to think those guys were also playing all the instruments too, well, it was mind-boggling. The Four Freshmen were the guys who influenced the Beach Boys back in the day. As of lately, I'm in a trio where we do "Bus Stop" by the Hollies, and I got handed the Graham Nash high part. I never appreciated those guys until now. Why the drummers always get the high parts I'll never know!

I think Alice in Chains may be the only rock band in the last 25 years to still use harmonies. Most of the bands listed are from the 60s and 70's. Its like harmonies in rock music went away in the 80's and never came back.

Admittedly acquired tastes and certainly not everyone"s cuppa, but The Roches and The King's Singers feature wonderful vocal harmonies.

The Roches! Absolutely. Folk influenced groups are likely to be ignored here. Let me just say Peter. Paul and Mary who were flawless live.

Today being the 51st anniversary of the release of Surrealistic Pillow, a vote for Marty Balin and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane.

The Beach Boys. Pet Sounds anyone?

Also, just got a great compilation of the Four Tops. Don't know if they count as a "harmony" group but I rate them as highly as the Temptations who have already been mentioned.

I enjoy these quite a bit (in no specific order):

Alabama
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Boston
The Eagles

There are tons more.

Back