Steve Judd

andSometimesY

I didn't see a thread here for Steve Judd, so sorry if it is a repeat but I don't think it is.
Anyways, Steve Judd is the drummer for an Australian band called Karnivool. They are progressive rock/metal and some say they have a tool-ish sound to them. The whole band is amazing, but the vocals and drums really stick out to me.

Steve Judd is very proficient at playing in odd times and the use of polyrhythm. He also knows how to get his groove on and just make it feel good. He also can combine feels to give a very unique rhythmic feel to a song (Umbra, for example).

Well I am curious to see if anyone else has heard Steve's drumming

I know the Karnivool guys, and can tell you first hand that Drew has done a lot of the drum work on previous songs, and needs kudos also.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Steve wasn't in the band until after Themata was recorded?

His playing on Sound Awake is mind blowing though. As technical as it all my be, it still has great groove.

Yeah, Drew Goddard (the lead guitarist) recorded all of the drums for Themata and Steve did all the drums on Sound Awake. There should be a Drew Goddard thread too because he is amazing! I was kind of disheartened when I learned that Karnivool's GUITARIST was a better drummer than me. Steve Judd is much better though, the drums on Sound Awake are phenomenal.

Karnivool are amazing, I cannot stop listening to them. the drumming on everything I've heard so far is absolutely top notch (feel, groove, power, precision OH MAN!)

It's also hilarious that they have both a guitarist and a drummer with such a profoundlt tasteful take on drumming.

GROOOOOOOOOOVE!

Bump! I'm just hoping that by now more people have heard of Karnivool and Steve Judd. I think we should start transcribing his stuff.

Yeah, Drew Goddard (the lead guitarist) recorded all of the drums for Themata and Steve did all the drums on Sound Awake. There should be a Drew Goddard thread too because he is amazing! I was kind of disheartened when I learned that Karnivool's GUITARIST was a better drummer than me. Steve Judd is much better though, the drums on Sound Awake are phenomenal.

Just remember though that Drew is a drummer that plays guitar - don't be too hard on yourself!

But also worth noting that Themata was a studio album, unto which alot of the drums were programmed in Protools i believe. Then Steve joined the band to tour with them, and had to learn all of the parts lol

Even looking at the Shutterspeed film clip, you can see Forry (forrester savell - album producer) pretending to play drums instead of steve!

Mr Savell can be seen in the Themata vid. Looks like Steve in the Shutterspeed one.

Tasty work all round on Sound Awake and they sound just as good live.

See you at RTB bigchris!

Mr Savell can be seen in the Themata vid. Looks like Steve in the Shutterspeed one.

See you at RTB bigchris!

Hang on...it aint Forry in Themata either. Must be Steve's predecessor. Either way, they still rock.

And if someone can tab "Goliath" for me, I'd be very thankful

See you at RTB bigchris!

Yeah it's def Forry. Why will I be seeing you at RTB? Which band are you in?

Hang on...it aint Forry in Themata either. Must be Steve's predecessor. Either way, they still rock.

And if someone can tab "Goliath" for me, I'd be very thankful

Basically the whole song is based around a two bar phrase of 6/8 and 8/8. The hihat is playing all the even notes (2, 4, 6, 2 ,4, 6, 8 etc...) so it has this 4/4 feel to it. There is the odd phrase now and then that has two bars of 6 in it, pretty easy to feel though.
Code:
  1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
h - x - x - x | - x - o - x - x 
s - - - o - - | - - - - - o - - 
b o - o - - - | o - o o - - - -

That's the basic rhythm, there's some variations every now and again but it's all pretty easy to figure out.

Steve Judd is such an incredible drummer... I saw Karnivool live last night in Sydney and at the end of the show, he threw his drumsticks out into the crowd and one of them literally BRUSHED past my left hand and then my friend caught it. How disappointing.

Code:
  1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
h - x - x - x | - x - o - x - x 
s - - - o - - | - - - - - o - - 
b o - o - - - | o - o o - - - -

That's the basic rhythm, there's some variations every now and again but it's all pretty easy to figure out.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. The song is actually 3 bars of 7/8 then one of 6/8.

Try counting it like this over 16th notes.

again twice, and then

then to the top.

Also, he is doing eighth notes on the hihat but accenting the quarter notes. On top of that he is doing ghost notes on every other 16th note on the snare.

It's quite but if you really pay attention, you can hear it. Not as much on the album as you can of like a video of them live, or better yet, live.

I love you for this, you are a wonderful human being. hahahaha NICE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah.

i went to that gig, found out it was being recorded. 1 month after the gig i was so annoyed that it wasn't uplaoded so i emailed them and harressed. took them SO long to get it uploaded - stupid copyright shit :p

i actually spotted myself a few times from that angle.

Back