Thomas Lang

Re: Thomas Lang DVD

I'm always working on that. I'm able to get it up to the 100bpm while applying the drumset orchestration. It's hard to keep it even for a long time. I guess it's building the proficiency. There's so much good stuff on those dvds.

Re: Thomas Lang DVD

Ashbash said:
i used to have this. here. i believe this is what you want. he's basically squeezing 9 notes in where there used to be eight

I cant read that yet, i just re-installed my comp. All i have is notepad!

Drummin Dan how do u set the metronome when doing this.

Check out the new clip at Meinl site from the 2005 Meinl Drum Fest - Part 3e

I'm not sure how much more he can do. 3 minutes in (with the foot octoban), and about 5 minutes in (playing two seperate beats over ostinato). There's no measure to his ability.

saw him at the modern drummer festival a few years back and the entire place was blown away. he received 2 standing ovations, which can be rare at that event.

beyond the superchops stuff, which is truly mindboggling, i was taken with his musicality. he certainly knows how to show restraint as well as fire.

also really like his attitude/personality. you can tell [or at least, it really seemed to me] that he does this for the pure love of music and drumming, not ego or winning a wfd championship. i got really inspired after seeing him do his thing.

I met Thomas Lang at NAMM, he is indeed one of the coolest, nicest drummers I've ever met, and he just blows my mind everytime I see him play.

Thomas Lang is amazing drummer. I love his style.
I have a question though; I watched his video on drummerworld.com , and I was wondering if anyone knows how to tune a floor tom like he does. If you know, please tell me.

- Marc

tambian89 said:
Thomas Lang is amazing drummer. I love his style.
I have a question though; I watched his video on drummerworld.com , and I was wondering if anyone knows how to tune a floor tom like he does. If you know, please tell me.

- Marc

The best would be to give Rob Wallis and Paul Siegel of Hudson Music a call - they fix the Sound best possible - and make great DVD's.

No serious: Just loose the heads as much as possible - but live it's never the same...

Bernhard

Are you sure that I should just loosen them a lot? I think the sound might be kinda...bad. I try it and tell you what happens.

- Marc

thomas is definatly one of my, if not my favourite drummer. his skill and technique is incredible, and whats even more great is he uses what he shows off in his dvds etc, when playing songs, with bands, etc.

Thomas Lang completely changed my perception of what is possible with double bass.

Absolutely sick!!!!

tambian89 said:
Are you sure that I should just loosen them a lot? I think the sound might be kinda...bad. I try it and tell you what happens.

- Marc

They must still sound a little bit - but so low that just first wrinkles appear. Sound is kinda bad, but fine for recording.....it's true, was done like that.

Bernhard

Hello,

I admire Thomas Lang for his speed and technique but I find him cold, without heat or taste. I have a dvd where a clip of him is just before Nathaniel Townsley's and man, Nat's playing is so warm and beautiful. He's an amazing drummer but I do find him tasteless.

Take care.

I agree with Aurelien. Until I hear a song he plays on that doesn't make me want to hit STOP it is hard to give someone so much praise.

I have his DVD and it is a great instructional DVD with sick drumming on it. I just want to hear him play music though.

Any listening suggestions? (please don't recommend the stuff he plays on the Creative Control DVD)

Thomas Lang is one of my favorite drummers. His technique is so inspiring as it shows us what can be done behind the kit. I totally disagree with players who find his playing to be without feel. But a person's style is totally subjective when it comes to what one gravtitates towards. For example, I find nothing appealing about drummers such as Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl and at times even the great Vinnie Colaiuta but would never say that they aren't amazing drummers. Plus, you have to give respect for their stellar careers.

Thomas Lang's DVD is also phenomenal in not just what he's doing but also what you get for the price. The only other videos I have that I felt gave me a lot of quality were the ones by Bobby Rock. I've seen so many videos, especially those over priced Modern Drummer ones that are good but sorry, 40 minutes for $30, that's a rip off! And those are the VHS versions!

Finally, he's actually replied to some of my emails so I have to show him some love and appreciation!

Stu_Strib said:
Any listening suggestions?

Well I guess you could try some B*Witched, or Ronan Keating maybe. Both had some great songs.

I just got that Ultimate Drum Fest #11 and I must say Thomas Lang was incredible - first time I've sen him extensively...His footwork and independence was out of this world....

However as incredible as he was I started getting bored....He didn't do much groovin using mostly the crazy foot ostinatos with alot of DB fills....after a while it all just sounded like a really fast drum machine...

Anyways can anyone recommend something muiscal that hes appeared on...maybe in a non-clinician setting I might appreciate it more.....

LinearDrummer said:
after a while it all just sounded like a really fast drum machine...

Well spotted: that's what he is.

Anyways can anyone recommend something muiscal that hes appeared on...maybe in a non-clinician setting I might appreciate it more.....

Doubt it.

Back