Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld? (off topic)

Re: Who's the fastest drummer on Drummerworld?

How about a couple of eggs, sunny-side up, award? We could grade on the basis of speed, quality, texture, taste and durability.

A thread hijack is the lowest form of humour, btw, guys....

Where are the videos? Lol.

I was just kidding you guys.
I think it's an interesting idea.
Instead of having videos like that spread all over (and probably not seen), if there were a few threads about it, it'd be easier to find and watch them.

I can play 16th notes at 200 BPM with just my forehead.

In space, no-one can hear you scream.......................nor can they hear you drum.

Sadly, we actually had a thread about it here on DW. Of all the things to discuss..........

Always amused by the questions people post on here.

Back in the day on the college track team I used to run a 10.0 100 yds. Thats pretty fast for a drummer.

I am the fastest drummer on Drummerworld, when the rent is due and the landlord is chasing me!

Back in the day on the college track team I used to run a 10.0 100 yds. Thats pretty fast for a drummer.

Damn Grunt, that's fast even for a world class athlete. Men have not broken the 9 second mark, and one woman had a 9.91, and that was en route to a longer distance. And yes that is yards, not meters.

I had an El Camino's speedometer pegged at 150 MPH and it was still accelerating before I had to slow down for a stop sign. That was the fastest I've ever gone besides being in a regular passenger airliner, of course.

I apologize in advance for my next comment, but I get a bit irritated by questions like the original, regarding sheer speed. It is do far down my list of things that drummers ought to be concerned about, that it should not even be considered worthy of a reply . . . . but I just replied . . . . . . rats :eek:(

Last summer I was boogie boarding.....heading back out to catch some more waves and I felt something go by me with some turbulence and rubbing up against my leg, like a fleshy sandpaper...

I can assure you I was the fastest drummer on the planet as I high tailed it outta that water...

I agree with all of this...... you need speed, tightness, CREATIVITY, and something different.

but i mean.. being slow in a death metal,grind,punk or speedmetal band, no matter how creative and different is probably still not going to work out great.

I have spent YEARS working on technique and endurance to play "fast" pretty much all the time....... now that I started hitting well, 260bpm was my tops but its pointless.... its not musical. 16th notes at 260 is a blur for the most part.. and its hard to get creative when your just trying to burn threw a song.

. in a small dose maybe.. but it took me getting to this point to want to work on the basics again and like you said worry about the other stuff.

Different people have a different point where they hit this i think.. some guys realize this at slower paces they are fast enough... some guys faster.. and some guys never are as fast as they want.

BUT... this thread was for "whos the fastest drummer"

lol forgot what my point was... too many drinks

Yes...who is the fastest....that is the question

My answer: who cares; won't even get ya a free cup of coffee at dunkin donuts. And does nothing to differentiate the artist from the masses.

It's a silly pursuit...a more interesting question is; who earns the most royalties at DW

TRUE STORY

I once got a free meal at Mcdonnalds because the manager recognized me and my guitar player when we walked in.. (we were a grindcore band, awful gross lyrics about dead stuff)

I knew that moment I had made it big.

that 6 dollars of garbage food never tasted so good.

....but those guys were there first and unique.....

So guys should stop aiming to play fast purely because guys like Lombardo and Benante have already done it?

If we applied that reasoning to drumming in general, we may as well stop playing all together....hell, it was all done by Krupa, Rich, Bellson, Williams and Roach long before you or I ever picked up sticks. So why bother?

Playing fast double kick is not necessary....

Unless of course you're wanting to play a style of music in similar vein to the guys named above, where not only is it necessary, it's a bloody requirement for employment.

As a broad stroke, I get your angle. Every now and again I'm prone to sharing it too. There's no doubt there's many a kid with a double pedal that isn't able to separate all out speed from the musical purpose behind it. But there's also the kid who's genuinely intrigued by the styles of music that demand double bass proficiency and speed, that just gets shouted down and discouraged from pursuing his musical goals purely because it's not someone else's bag.

I just can't help but wonder, where would the Benante's, Lombardo's, Roddy's, Donati's, Adler's and Kollias' be today if they were continually told by a drum forum that the skillset they were acquiring as youngsters was unnecessary, invalid and had no musical merit. I reckon we might have missed out on some excellent playing as a result.

Playing fast double kick is not necessary....there is nothing to win as in a team sport....and it's a little childish and egotistical to worry about who is the fastest....there is nothing to be gained....no won loss record, no standings, no playoffs, no Stanley cup....no commerce or jerseys....Steve gadd and mcbrain will have just as many if not more attendees at clinics, etc.

Well... there's double bass and double bass... guys like Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham or Louie Bellson are not doing it for the sport, they're doing it for the music... oh, and Steve Gadd use a double pedal BTW :)

But I know what you mean... however, you can't generalise double bass drumming, some's brilliant and some ... not so brilliant.

Well... there's double bass and double bass... guys like Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham or Louie Bellson are not doing it for the sport, they're doing it for the music... oh, and Steve Gadd use a double pedal BTW :)

But I know what you mean... however, you can't generalise double bass drumming, some's brilliant and some ... not so brilliant.

Yes, agreed. But SG is not trying to be the fastest either. I fully agree that double bass can be cool and interesting musically, but who is fastest is the notion I don't care for or see much value in....but yes, your point is well taken

As someone who had the need for speed at one time and now doesn't, I can see both sides of this equation. I played in a death metal band from 1994 to 2002. Speed was important. Endurance was even more important. As endurance increased, speed would follow. Back then, double strokes with the feet were unheard of, so we were all doing singles. Because of this need for speed in the metal community, a whole new set of ideas came to fruition. We now have slide, swivel, heel toe (I will be learning these), and I am sure some kid somewhere is working on a technique that will push the limits even farther. I was using swivel before I even knew what it was. I felt it was odd that my feet would rotate from side to side, but it worked so I did it. This was/is all in the name of music, not just the need to go fast. After all, if I didn't maintain the ability to play fast for long periods I would have lost my job.

Today I don't care about how fast I can go, it isn't a goal or priority, but I still use it everyday I play. Can I still do 200bpm singles with my feet? Sure, but not for extended periods of time because I don't need or want to. But there is always room for expression through speed. It has its uses and it has its places, and it is never going to go away. People are always pushing the limits in whatever we do. We have cars that will do a 1/4 mile in 4 seconds at 300mph, people who can run a 4 minute mile, golfers that can hit a ball over 300 yards, shooters who can hit a target at over a mile, even a guy who fell from 24 miles above the surface and went 843mph and broke the speed of sound. It is human nature to want to go faster, be better than the next guy. We call this advancement, improvement on what we can do. So why in the drumming world is speed taboo?

Please folks, keep striving to go faster, and for new ways to do it better and longer. It hurts nothing, and only makes us better as drummers.

Back