Finally gave in - a cart for my drums!

I bought a Rock 'n Roller (the R8 I think) about 5 years ago and I agree that it's one of the best purchases I've ever made for myself. I have a walking disability so carrying gear myself isn't an option without it. This allows me to "pull my weight" so to speak at gigs and transport to and from my storage space. The cart is also easy to collapse and put on my back seat if I'm taking it with me.

I may get one of those carts, thanks for the info. How big are the wheels? Do they fold up at all?

I think this is the one I have

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roller-Multi-Cart-Equipment-Transporter/dp/B0002E1I9G

The wheels are about 8" and the handles on either side do fold up. The cart also can expand/collapse depending on how much stuff you're trying to haul.

The only thing I have to say is that you need to watch the tire pressure and depending on how much you're using it, put air in the tires. I have to do it once a year or so.

I've been using a cart for over 20 years and haven't ever been able to do one trip. The hardware is the killer for me. I keep all of mine in a long PR bag.

I hear you about saving your back. I've struggled with Sciatica for a few years and want to avoid inflaming that again.

I have relatively light hardware but the hardware bag is still the heaviest thing I have to deal with. I use primarily Yamaha single brace stands so my Roc n Soc throne base is the only truly heavy duty stand.

Bermuda: can you give a run down of what stands you use for this setup? Are they flat based? Interested in the hi hat you went with especially but all of the individuals would be good to hear.

Jim

I got the cart Bermuda showed in the OP. It's pretty sturdy, and not too heavy to deal with when folded up.
I've seen it on Amazon for as low as $79, but I got the last one from a seller and it was just under $70.

The R8 cart Mr. Compactness linked looks nice, but doesn't seem to be any larger than the one I got. I like the wheels on it though.

Shedboyxx, the flat base hi-hat stand I have is the Ludwig Atlas Classic.
Very sturdy, comfortable to use, it's responsive and light weight. It doesn't sway when playing 15" hats with gusto, and it folds up and down pretty easily.

The Ludwig Classic FB cymbal stands are great too. Very sturdy, light, and for me the adjustable height rubber feet are genius.
Superb wing nuts on all these Ludwig stands as well (an overlooked part with some stands).

They seem to be as expensive as DW's 6000's, or maybe a little more. The DW flat base stands are great too, and they have memory locks which I use.
Gibraltar flat base stands are sturdy and work really well too. The Gibraltar Brake Tilter is very nice. Gibraltar stands have nice wing nuts that work smoothly as well.

I have this one

R10RT-Side_5x4_grande.jpg

Did you also look at the Rock-n-Roller cart? They look pretty much the same. Steel tubing and you have to spring the handles inward to fold them up.

I've been abusing a Rock-n-Roller cart for 6-7 years. Even used it to haul concrete bags into the backyard when I built my project studio. It's pretty rough looking now, but still works like a champ.

With the larger pneumatic wheels it's a bit bulky. Although I like the wheels when rolling over rough pavement. Especially when I played guitar and had to haul a still warm amplifier rattling the tubes and all over brick or cobblestone walkways.

I do wish someone would make a lighter aluminum one. Maybe not as much load capacity, I just want to do the one load for the drums thing. And also, some method of folding up the wheels so it's more compact in the car.

I got a Magna Cart FF Flatform cart awhile back which is small, light, and the fairly soft wheels fold up underneath making the thing about 3" thick folded up. There's enough room to get a 22" kick in a bag on the platform and stack the rest on top. Although you are going to want to steady the stack with a free hand.

spin_prod_571747601

But the other day I had some monitors on it and was pulling it up over a curb and some of the wheels folded up dropping the load. Now I don't trust them. It's rated for much more than I had piled on it. I guess if I kept to rolling drums up ramps and around sidewalks it would be okay. But having seen it go, I can't imagine trying to catch a stack of drums toppling onto the concrete.

I got the cart Bermuda showed in the OP. It's pretty sturdy, and not too heavy to deal with when folded up.
I've seen it on Amazon for as low as $79, but I got the last one from a seller and it was just under $70.

The R8 cart Mr. Compactness linked looks nice, but doesn't seem to be any larger than the one I got. I like the wheels on it though.

Judging by the look of what's on Bermuda's cart, assuming that's a 14" floor and 20" bass on there, the R8 may be a little longer. I can wedge my cymbal bag in front of the floor tom. The wheels are bigger though.

Back