The Grand Master Buddy Rich

I love his version of Bugle Call Rag. Norwegian Wood is probably one of my favorite songs too.

One thing I find amazing about him was his endurance. During his solos he almost never stopped playing something and yet continued to go on and was then able to come back in and finish the song just as strong.

His playing influences me today but I can't do any of it save for the little clicky stick thing but that's not that impressive except when he did it after one of those snare breaks.

DW is offering a Buddy Rich tribute kit (strange about the brand though I would have thought maybe Ludwig instead...). If I had the money I would buy it :)
Nothing beats the White Pearl wraps and that old look of cymbal mounts on the bass drum and a 24" bass drum 13", 16" toms.

I have yet to see anyone today play with the intensity and feeling that he put into his music. You can watch other great drummers play with the Buddy Rich Big Band but it's not the same.

It wasn't easy playing on that old Slingerland hardware either...unlike the Iron Cobras and such of today...

Has anyone checked out the latest clip that has been added to the Buddy Rich section? It is definately a must see. The clip is from 1970, he is playing a beautiful set of Slingerland's. You must check this out!

Cymbalrider said:
I love his version of Bugle Call Rag. Norwegian Wood is probably one of my favorite songs too.

One thing I find amazing about him was his endurance. During his solos he almost never stopped playing something and yet continued to go on and was then able to come back in and finish the song just as strong.

His playing influences me today but I can't do any of it save for the little clicky stick thing but that's not that impressive except when he did it after one of those snare breaks.

DW is offering a Buddy Rich tribute kit (strange about the brand though I would have thought maybe Ludwig instead...). If I had the money I would buy it :)
Nothing beats the White Pearl wraps and that old look of cymbal mounts on the bass drum and a 24" bass drum 13", 16" toms.

I have yet to see anyone today play with the intensity and feeling that he put into his music. You can watch other great drummers play with the Buddy Rich Big Band but it's not the same.

It wasn't easy playing on that old Slingerland hardware either...unlike the Iron Cobras and such of today...

His endurance is AMAZING. Great, phenomenal stamina. Have you checked out Buddy's solo from 1970 featured in this very same web site? Fantastic speed control, precision and inventiveness... one even better than this (in a way) is the one dating from '78 that Buddy was playing in Holland (at least it says "Holland" on the background...). Without mentioning the classic "Channel one" peformance. There's no better rudiments' player than B.R. He's made some miracles with his old Ludwig hardware. Definitely. No tricks (except for the STICK trick... heh) just plain straight on genius. I also enjoy watching the following drummers play: Gene Krupa, Thomas Lang, Donati, Weckl, Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Lionel Hampton, Bonham, Jojo Mayer (for the tricks) and John Blackwell... great solos, technique and overall musicianship. The créme de la créme. The elite. Speed, "tricks", "on beat", grooves, creativity, showmanship, these names give me it all (all there is to learn). Although exactly NONE of those had shown me a higher level of drum-mastering than Mr. Buddy Rich "did" - does!. And by this I mean the old-fashioned "all around" best drummer in the world.

pcmckay - I did. Breathtaking. From start to finish (It's one of those solos that I wish that could never have an end, just wanted to see it going forever... eternally, unidentifyedly).

Womble - There's no way Joe Morello could be faster than Rich. I've found exactly no documented (video) evidence of that. I've found just a couple of videos and, although he was great, he, by no means, showed a faster tempo than Rich. If at least you could show me (us) ? : )

- Ivo.

Last edited:
Re: Another unreal Buddy Rich solo!

Heh, for all the people sayin' Buddy couldn't be musical: I think you've NOT seen enough of them (videos). I've seen some rare Buddy-videos being very "musical" and not just throwing out "almost handomly" insane technically impossible tricks and chops or single-handed rolls every single second. The solos which are placed here, while great, don't really represent all of Buddy's "secret weapons", he could be extremely "musical", people just have to find those videos out and judge again for themselves. Even ART VERDI called him the GREATEST DRUMMER EVER. Just read his "testimonial". I'm still shocked when I watch all of Buddy's videos that I've got so far again and again. Every time seems to be the first. Simply God-given. If God could play the drums, he would be Buddy Rich.

Just my two cents (I wish they could be two "dollars" actually, heh).

Just didn't want to see Buddy being underrated when he doesn't really deserve ALL this negative feedback of "oh... he's insanely technical but that's 'all' ". Not fair on my book.

Take care.

- Ivo.

Re: The Grand Master BR

Superlow said:
Buddy is to drums what Babe Ruth is to baseball. A legend larger than life. Certainly there have been limits pushed by many drummers who are considered more technically proficient. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with the showmanship that Buddy did. He had character and wit beyond what most drummer have these day's.

"there have been limits pushed by MANY DRUMMERS who are considered MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with"

Heh, you must be kidding. Really joking. I'm sorry but you're wrong. Saying "BUDDY RICH", "MANY DRUMMERS" and "MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT" in the same sentence is ridiculous. Please prove it. I'd also love to see all those MANY drummers surpassing Rich's technical skills and going "beyond" (from where he went). Please? : )

- Ivo.

buddy rich is simply the greatest, im glad to be able to watch his videos everyday

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
"there have been limits pushed by MANY DRUMMERS who are considered MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with"

Heh, you must be kidding. Really joking. I'm sorry but you're wrong. Saying "BUDDY RICH", "MANY DRUMMERS" and "MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT" in the same sentence is ridiculous. Please prove it. I'd also love to see all those MANY drummers surpassing Rich's technical skills and going "beyond" (from where he went). Please? : )

- Ivo.

I don't think he was kidding, in fact I would say he is correct. While I don't think there are many drummers more technically proficent than Buddy, there certaintly have been some. That is what happens with everthing given time.

Buddy was a showman, and the very best of his time. Alot of progress has been made off of Buddy's work. Now there are some drummers doing eveything buddy could do and much more. There are drummers today who excell at various styles. Evething gets better with time. It's evolution, and Buddy is no exception.

As much as I didn't want to write this in Buddy's thread, it had to be said.

Drum solos are not the most important part of drumming, I wathch them for some fun but the real context is the groove.You can be a great solo drummer but if your groove sucks you suck too, you know what I mean? Buddy's musicallity was unbeliebable that's why he rules, or look at Mike Portnoy he drum solos suck but he is a great drummer because of he's musicallity and all the things he does with he's cymbals and stuff.

toteman2 said:
I don't think he was kidding, in fact I would say he is correct. While I don't think there are many drummers more technically proficent than Buddy, there certaintly have been some. That is what happens with everthing given time.

Buddy was a showman, and the very best of his time. Alot of progress has been made off of Buddy's work. Now there are some drummers doing eveything buddy could do and much more. There are drummers today who excell at various styles. Evething gets better with time. It's evolution, and Buddy is no exception.

No problem. Not at all. But could you please show me the videos? And which thing "that" drummer surpassed Buddy in? I can't see Dave Weckl's snare drum work been more inventive and faster than Buddy's. I can't see Virgil Donati being more creative, I can't see Jojo Mayer been faster, also can't see anybody else with the same qualities put together into one single person to this day. Buddy's solos (that if you've REALLY seen enough of them... just a dozen does not mean much at all) are untouchable. Speed control, effortless motions, trick-creations, chops, one-handed rolls, snare drum work, cymbals, everything is so different and sutile, I can't really thing of ANYONE that could provide me with so many atributes, so much qualities in one single person. No. Sorry. And even less "MANY" of them. If you really want to convince me and some people here, please just post some links to these many different drummers and tell me what has been improved so much from the later Buddy Rich's presentations to this day. Thanks.

Even the utterly respected Mr. ART VERDI and Mr. GENE KRUPA have admitted: "Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer who ever drawn breath; who EVER lived". And that goes directly against to: "hey... MANY DRUMMERS have surpassed Rich's abilities - just check it out" (ok, that last part "check it out..." is what has been missing here actually... would love to witness these so many genius drummers surpass Mr. BUDDY RICH. He's no perfect, OF COURSE NOT, but he was/IS THE BEST we've got (or at least, you should prove me I'm wrong. Any videos out there??? : )

- Ivo.

(SORRY FOR THE EDITs...)

Last edited:

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
No problem. Not at all. But could you please show me the videos? And which thing "that" drummer surpassed Buddy in? I can't see Dave Weckl's snare drum work been more inventive and faster than Buddy's. I can't see Virgil Donati being more creative, I can't see Jojo Mayer been faster, also can't see anybody else with the same qualities put together into one single person to this day. Buddy's solos (that if you've REALLY seen enough of them... just a dozen does not mean much at all) are untouchable. Speed control, effortless motions, trick-creations, chops, one-handed rolls, snare drum work, cymbals, everything is so different and sutile, I can't really thing of ANYONE that could provide me with so many atributes, so much qualities in one single person. No. Sorry. And even less "MANY" of them. If you really want to convince me and some people here, please just post some links to these many different drummers and tell me what has been improved so much from the later Buddy Rich's presentations to this day. Thanks.

- Ivo.

You're entitled to beleive whatever you want. I'm not hear to convince you of anything. Continue to enjoy Buddy's work, I know I do. It's just my opinion and many others that there are some drummers doing things today that I find more impressive, technically and musically than Buddy ever did.

DrummerWorld provides us with hundreds of drummers and a blueprint to alot of their work. My adivise would be to research alot of these drummers and make your own comparisons if you see fit.

And lets get something straight. Buddy Rules! I'm not hear to badmouth him or present any negativity tword him.

toteman2 said:
You're entitled to beleive whatever you want. I'm not hear to convince you of anything. Continue to enjoy Buddy's work, I know I do. It's just my opinion and many others that there are some drummers doing things today that I find more impressive, technically and musically than Buddy ever did.

DrummerWorld provides us with hundreds of drummers and a blueprint to alot of their work. My adivise would be to research alot of these drummers and make your own comparisons if you see fit.

And lets get something straight. Buddy Rules! I'm not hear to badmouth him or present any negativity tword him.

Ok. Let's stay peaceful (I also enjoy the fact that you're a "lonely" internet surfer like me... heh not too many people around this time of the night - at least where I live in). I've already watched dozens and dozens of videos by hundreds of drummers from this site and while some are amazingly gifted, heh (as I've told you... I'm not to repeat all over again... that's really tedious, I admitt it...), i simply couldn't find one single person with all "those" qualities been put together at the time of one of Buddy's incredible solo momentum; but i'll respect your oppinion though. As i also enjoy many other drummers, not just the old Buddy.

Take Care (and sorry if I was rude... didn't really mean to be so... it's just my "natural" way of "feeling" the discussion... nevermind...).

- Ivo.

No offense taken, and I respect your opinion fully. The spirit of Buddy lives on forever!

Happy Drumming.

I will put up this 1978 video (from Hudson Music - classic drummers) these next days...

Bernhard

The Buddy Rich fast left hand singles.

I have watched and watched and watched a clip I have of him doing this technique on an open high hat in slow motion and practicing it daily paying very close attention to his fingers and noticing that his wrist really doesnt move.. I cant explain it but last night I was watching law and order with practice pad in lap and there it was. Not as fast as buddy of course but close to that clip. If that clip was 140bpm I would say I was doing 100-110. It just happened. I "felt" what it feels like to do it right and the whole key was having NO TENSION in the wrist, foreare or hands. Its like like a quote from Gruber.. "Get out of the way". I cant believe it.

Now I must admit that my poor brain is so tied up with the technique that I cant do anything else but thats ok. All in time. I wish I could explain it to you guys because now it just makes sence and whats crazy is how little effort it takes. You just feel it when it happens and whats crazy is I was about to give up on it. Wham, out of no where I can all of the sudden do this now and after the shock wore off I was able to get it up to the speed in the clip but not keep it there for very long. All in time.. I would say that the Steve Smith and Dave Weckl DVD helped this happen since I have a better understanding about proper stick technique and rebound. Even though i will likley never use this in my general playing its got to be good for my poor neglected left hand. Its so great to feel a little growth after feeling stuck for so long.

Re: The Buddy Rich fast left hand singles.

Nice!!

Learning a new technique is so great. I think I felt the same way you did when I finally got the Moeller technique in my right hand.

Last edited:

toteman2 said:

Then prepare to eat thy words and humble thyself at the altar of Buddy:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/62425/...8_buddy_is_61/

Henry II said:
Then prepare to eat thy words and humble thyself at the altar of Buddy:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/62425/...8_buddy_is_61/

I also have this video in my HD and Buddy's effortless and BEAUTIFUL hand motions, general technique, CREATIVITY and surgical precision are SHOCKING - to say the least. For the people who have not seen this: pay attention to the motions!, to the details... ;) breathtaking.

If anyone doesn't want to see this as a genius in this example (and there are a couple more at this same level - or even higher!), then you're all blind. How could anybody does not want to see a so explicit thing? :) Let's keep the memory of the "world's greatest drummer" alive. :eek:]

- Ivo.

CadaveR (Ivo) said:
I also have this video in my HD and Buddy's effortless and BEAUTIFUL hand motions, general technique, CREATIVITY and surgical precision are SHOCKING - to say the least. For the people who have not seen this: pay attention to the motions!, to the details... ;) breathtaking.

If anyone doesn't want to see this as a genius in this example (and there are a couple more at this same level - or even higher!), then you're all blind. How could anybody does not want to see a so explicit thing? :) Let's keep the memory of the "world's greatest drummer" alive. :eek:]

- Ivo.

And keep in mind, Buddy was 61 years old when this performance was recorded.

Henry II said:
And keep in mind, Buddy was 61 years old when this performance was recorded.

Yup, I knew it. I'm also a big fan of him. :)

There's not one single drummer so far that could do EVERYTHING that Buddy could (let alone MUCH MORE...). ;-)

- Ivo.

Back