Possible Evans Convert

Bull

Gold Member
The local shop was out of Vintage Emperors,my usual snare head. I decided to try an Evans ST,as it is the same thickness. I picked up an ST,for my main snare, and an ST Dry to try on another unruly drum.

They tuned up quicker and more evenly than any head I have ever used. They sound great and after 3 hours of play ,the ST looks brand new too.

When it's time for new tom heads I might try some coated G2s. i bought a few Evans heads 20 years ago and remember being indifferent to them.

These have made quite an impression,though.

I really like Evans heads, for all my drums. Other heads are good, but I prefer the consistency of Evans. They are always easy to install and tune easily. Peace and goodwill.

I've always liked the Evans G2 clear and coated heads, up until a few months ago. I'm still liking their G1 heads though.

Dennis

You also might wanna check out the EC2s and EC reso's. I was pretty pleased with the combo, but I'm still experimenting ... trying to find THE combo ....

I always thought Evans had too many choices. I get confused as to which one is the right one.

The local shop was out of Vintage Emperors,my usual snare head. I decided to try an Evans ST,as it is the same thickness. I picked up an ST,for my main snare, and an ST Dry to try on another unruly drum.

They tuned up quicker and more evenly than any head I have ever used. They sound great and after 3 hours of play ,the ST looks brand new too.

When it's time for new tom heads I might try some coated G2s. i bought a few Evans heads 20 years ago and remember being indifferent to them.

Glad to hear it! We're definitely not the same Evans of yesteryear. There have been many huge improvements in our production/manufacturing as well as other aspects of the company.

Cheers!

I picked up an ST,for my main snare, and an ST Dry to try on another unruly drum.

ST is my favorite snare head (it's on 9 out of 10 of my drums!) and the Dry does indeed tame the occasional howling snare. It's slightly heavier than a G2, but what a difference!

Bermuda

I switched to coated G2s on my toms last year. They have never sounded so good. Haven't had the guts to switch from an Emperor X to an Evans equivalent (don't even know which one)

Bo, buy a G2 clear and paint a dot or find a decal black dot for the inside of the head. Bingo black dot.

I agree, Evans heads are extremely easy to tune, especially on snares. ST and HD Dry are great heads.

I've been a big fan of the clear G2's for a few years now. I ended up trying the Onyx series heads, but had bad results. I just switched to the EC2's and i don't think I'll ever look back. I find they're dampinged excellent for my toms but also have perfect warmth.

Always been a big Evans fan. I was turned on to the hydraulic heads in the 70s and 80s and never tried another head.

Currently I use g2 coated on the toms and G1 clear for the reso.

Snare has an HD Dry and emad on the bass.

I too now use coated ST's on my snares. I play 2-3 gigs per week and after about 5 months of continuous use the heads still are in tune and coating still all intact. Love!

After all these years, I'm still a Remo fan - despite the fact that almost all of the batter heads on my kit are currently Evans! When Evans heads were first introduced, they were ... well ... less than stellar. But the new Evans are far, far advanced over the other manufacturers when it comes to build quality. They tune easier, fit better, last longer, retain their tone longer, and don't mar or flake as easily as the others. So, why am I still a Remo fan? Sound quality. And that does not mean that Remo sounds better than Evans - they just sound different, and I like that particular difference. So, I'll be going back to Remo - for now. But I'll be recommending that everybody else buy Evans - that way I know they will not be disappointed.

GeeDeeEmm

Back