Don't Hold Your Breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple
To me, any so called "church" that has significant assets beyond historical real estate, is full of crap, & most of those that qualify under the KIS scrutiny, are still full of crap. Believe what you will, but any organisation that asks for money without direct accountability & without latency in transparently showing it's final destination, is full of crap.
+1 .. not entirely full of crap .. they offload crap in order to attract dollars As Larry said, if he believed himself he'd have given everything he had away to charity. He knowingly and wilfully created a situation where he KNEW people would be busted by his nonsense.

Class action!
What would be the point of donating all that money to charity if the world is apparently going to face the end anyway?

Wassup Duncan? Stressing at an airport at an ungodly hour? Are you okay?

Just coming back from seeing my other half. She's moved to an island in the middle of the sea for a year for work and she had to go to work this morning and hence needed to drop me off at an ungodly hour. I don't like flying much, hence the stress and when I went out last week I had an absolute nightmare with travel connections - the train I was on to the airport actually broke down and meant that although I'd left myself two hours for problems, I still had to persuade them to open the check in desk after it had closed!

So, needless to say - I don't like flying much. Right now I'm sat on a train in Manchester using my phone as a modem. Oh, the jetset lifestyle of a third-year Music Technology undergraduate in the post-industial North-West.

Just coming back from seeing my other half. She's moved to an island in the middle of the sea for a year for work and she had to go to work this morning and hence needed to drop me off at an ungodly hour. I don't like flying much, hence the stress and when I went out last week I had an absolute nightmare with travel connections - the train I was on to the airport actually broke down and meant that although I'd left myself two hours for problems, I still had to persuade them to open the check in desk after it had closed!

So, needless to say - I don't like flying much. Right now I'm sat on a train in Manchester using my phone as a modem. Oh, the jetset lifestyle of a third-year Music Technology undergraduate in the post-industrial North-West.

I relate. Not keen on commuting. I enjoy the buzz of looking out the window and takeoff but the checkin, the waiting, the crowdedness, queuing to get off and luggage collection is a real grind.

I relate. Not keen on commuting. I enjoy the buzz of looking out the window and takeoff but the checkin, the waiting, the crowdedness, queuing to get off and luggage collection is a real grind.

Crowds weren't an issue! I think there were maybe eighteen people on my flight in total.

If you were the leader of the notorious Children of PFOG sect (known for making loud staccato noises and atrophying on web forums) and I was one of your many followers, then I'd say it's a fair comparison.

I said I was thinking of getting into this racket. After reading this:

A few years ago his "church" was worth 20,000,000.00. Now thanks to the idiots that believe in him the church is worth 120,000,000.00

I'm bloody well confirming it. Children of PFOG sounds good. Want in? And when it's time for our doomsday I give you the cup without the poison.

As it is, all you are to me is a web pal who seems to either drink too much or wants to drink too much

I'll have you know I resemble that!!

Actually I just made a milkshake. A MILKSHAKE?!?!?!? Of all things......

Oh, ok.....it needed a little something extra, so I added Kahlua. Guilty as charged.

Lucky! I'm guessing it was a dirty sky, though.

Only when I'm there.

It wasn't that bad at all actually. I thought we might be in an ashy sky at one point just as we were banking over Liverpool, but it was probably just low cloud. My parents are flying to Orkney in two weeks - that could be interesting if the volcano goes again.

At first I thought maybe this thread was about breathing techniques while playing. LOL

You should breathe normally. IMO you shouldn't hum. It prevents you from hearing whats really happening.

I say class action suit. It just sounds like fraud to me. He promised something and didn't deliver.

Well, archeology speaks for itself. Of the oldest complete Bible ever found (Dated approximately 150 A.D. i believe, correct me if I'm wrong), we have found it's content to be over 95% of the same content as any current day Bible. And wherever there is a difference, it is written on the bottom of the page. I must say, they did a fine job of preserving it's contents..

Well, actually, this statement isn't true at all. Archeology has spoken on this matter, and here is what it has said:

There was never an "oldest complete Bible" to be found. The Bible as most Christians recognize it was compiled or "canonized" by the Catholic church in the 4th century. That means they took all the texts that had been found up to that point, and edited them. They included some texts, and excluded some others. They took some stuff out and added other stuff in. Their editing was determined as much by scholarship as it was by plain old politics. The result was what most people today call the Bible, and the oldest surviving copies date to about the same time, not 150 A.D. (You are probably thinking of the Gospels, which are thought to have been written from about 50 to 110 A.D., but there are no surviving copies, and the Gospels are a small--although important--part of the whole Bible.)

And since then, there have been many translations, versions, and outright rewriting (not to mention mistakes made by monks in making copies) of the Bible. Different Christian denominations recognize different versions of the Bible. So there is not and never has been one "original" Bible that modern versions can be compared to.

Whew! That was a mouthful.

I am all in favor of everyone believing or not, however they see fit. But one thing that everyone should realize is that the Bible has been altered many times in many ways over the years. It may (or may not) have been the work of God (or inspired by God) at some point. That's a matter of opinion depending on your personal beliefs. But the fact that it's been monkeyed with many times by humans ever since is indisputable.

Criz, you make a good point. I confused the scholarly dating with the oldest actual piece of the writing found (obviously two different things, my mistake). But how exactly do we know it's been monkeyed with and/or altered many times like you say it was?

Take the story of Lucifer. In the various texts, it is actually referring to a Babylonian King and then through the story has varied in interpretation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

This causes problems with the canon of the Biblical story and because so little of the original text is known, the differences in interpretation can become manifest in outright contradiction. Indeed, even when we have original texts, there are outright contradictions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls#Significance_to_the_Canon_of_the_Bible

This makes it near impossible to determine the original intentions of the authors of the text - which usually isn't a problem, but the intentions are vital to determine the meanings of Biblical (and extra-Biblical) works.

Well, archeology speaks for itself. Of the oldest complete Bible ever found (Dated approximately 150 A.D. i believe, correct me if I'm wrong), we have found it's content to be over 95% of the same content as any current day Bible. And wherever there is a difference, it is written on the bottom of the page. I must say, they did a fine job of preserving it's contents.

And there would have been no reason for someone to really "taint" the Bible, as it still wouldn't give one a whole lot of personal benefit. Just my opinion.

Even if 95% of the original bible is the same as original (which i find doubtful) then that's still a hell of a lot of words that are different. And even 1 word being wrong can totally change the meaning of the text. For example, language experts think that the passage in the koran about the 72 virgins might not actually have said 72 virgins at all, but rather the original word might have meant "sweet-meats". Now imagine the last 10 years and the actions of muslim extremists if they had known that...

Even if 95% of the original bible is the same as original (which i find doubtful) then that's still a hell of a lot of words that are different. And even 1 word being wrong can totally change the meaning of the text.

But like i said, wherever there's a version that says something different, the bottom of the page shows the word/words that are different.

Back