Remote SPEEDY Hi Hat

first one not sure about, don't really like the exposed cable on that and not sure about the brace and pulley system either. For that money you can get a yamaha one and a little more a dw one.

Second one, I never thought about building one and have to say bicycle shift cable what a great idea, love it when people think out of the box!

I agree with kona. Everyone keeps pushing the Speedys on me, but I just don't see why for a bit more I shouldn't just go with DW 9550 and maintain that direct drive feel. Plus it matches my kick pedals. It would take the Speedys being on durastic sale for me to lean that way... More durastic than they will go on, I'm sure.

I know DW makes their stuff so solid you could virtually drop it off the Empire State Building. So solid, it actually makes me mad, in fact - trying to change from chain to nylon drive on my 9002 pedals is a NIGHTMARE because DW factory installs everything SO tight that you can barely unscrew it without stripping the screw head.

... I just don't see why for a bit more I shouldn't just go with DW 9550 and maintain that direct drive feel.

Ya'll are missin the point.

Remote SPEEDY feels 'way better' than any remote on the market, hands down. There's never friction on the cable, unlike current designs.

SPEEDY packs easier, is way-more easily adjustable, lighter (8lbs).

DW/YAMAHA makes their stuff so solid you could virtually drop it off the Empire State Building-- or on your foot. Nice if you have a roadie, their stuff is H-E-A-V-Y, is unruly to pack and set-up.

Exposed cable is fine, we're not really talking chain saw or ski lift, the cable only moves a 1/2" and its taught, easy to adjust foot board height too. Watch the Drummer Cafe vid, Bart uses remote Hi Hats, he's not an easy sell.

I've owned YAMAHA, TAMA, PEARL and DW remotes through the years, their downsides are many. SPEEDY is brilliant IMO.

I don't see any problem with the exposed cable system. As a matter of fact I see it as being better than an encased cable.
There will be less resistance and wear points than covered cables have.
It looks like a good idea that offers a real solution to other cable remote hat stands.
It does however appear to be a bit cumbersome to set up and tear down. I think that I would have to see the stand in person to make a further decision about it.
The $250 price tag is surely a deterrent for many drummers.
I'm not implying that the stand isn't worth it or overpriced. Its just that I will have to think about buying the product a bit more.
I have three kits. I don't like to exchange gear between them. I leave one kit at the practice studio, One kit at home. The other kit stays bagged and ready to gig. I only transfer some of my cymbals. It would cost me $750 to outfit them all with this stand.

Last edited:
... I just don't see why for a bit more I shouldn't just go with DW 9550 and maintain that direct drive feel.

Ya'll are missin the point.

Remote SPEEDY feels 'way better' than any remote on the market, hands down. There's never friction on the cable, unlike current designs.

SPEEDY packs easier, is way-more easily adjustable, lighter (8lbs).

DW/YAMAHA makes their stuff so solid you could virtually drop it off the Empire State Building-- or on your foot. Nice if you have a roadie, their stuff is H-E-A-V-Y, is unruly to pack and set-up.

Exposed cable is fine, we're not really talking chain saw or ski lift, the cable only moves a 1/2" and its taught, easy to adjust foot board height too. Watch the Drummer Cafe vid, Bart uses remote Hi Hats, he's not an easy sell.

I've owned YAMAHA, TAMA, PEARL and DW remotes through the years, their downsides are many. SPEEDY is brilliant IMO.

I do see what you're saying. I don't see a problem with the exposed cable either, and I know the lighter construction would make gigging easier vs. other remotes. I'll consider it if I can come across one to play.

The $250 price tag is surely a deterrent for many drummers.

Not.

The last remote i bought was a PEARL RH2000 and it was around $230 (5/6 years ago... I see you can get them now for $200 on ebay, Im sure i got a clamp too though). RH2000 very heavy, doggy and a pain to set up tear down and pack and no smoother than any other remote on the market at the time.

I'm considering a SPEEDY myself, but more for its ability to 'not transfer shock' as directly as a steel rod design, the placement action would just be another plus for me.

Got to see this at the Chicago show and talk to the inventor. He is literally trying to break his and hasn't been able to do it yet. Said he's thrown it around, dropped it, etc to no avail. It felt pretty solid to me and I am a heavy/hard guy. I've snapped my DW cables before.

So, how does it feel?

Well, it feels as good as a normal (sans cable) hihat. No where does the cable bind. I've noticed on my DW cable hats I have to rotate the cable because the cable started to wear a groove in the outer sleeve causing friction and slowing response. Not an issue here.

I plan on adding one of these to my kit....

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's a bit of feedback to answer some questions that have come up:

The exposed cable is not a problem. It'll take up to 480 pounds before it breaks and is designed to be very flexible and is extremely hard to kink. I've been throwing it in my hardware bag and tossing other stands on it and giving it as much abuse as possible trying to break anything to no avail. I'm somewhat OCD and make everything as bulletproof as possible--success!

As for set up, I have a long clamp that I leave attached to the upper end and when I set up (or clamp it on to the house kit's cymbal stand) I simply loosen and fold down the brace and attach it to the foot pedal section. Everything else is preset and locked in place so set up is extremely fast and it weighs very little in the hardware bag.

As for buying multiple speedy hats, one of my first customers ordered two more a while back in order to cover his studio kit, practice kit, and gig bag. Another customer has two, one ready for travel and one permanently at the home monster kit.

It makes everything you play now easier and opens up many new musical possibilities. When I have to play a normal straight hi hat stand I can play just fine, but I'm amazed at how much new vocab I have to edit out because it doesn't work with my left hand restricted underneath the right. Many have found it to be a game-changing piece of gear!

Here's another review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbDOQfyXhJA

I agree with kona. Everyone keeps pushing the Speedys on me, but I just don't see why for a bit more I shouldn't just go with DW 9550 and maintain that direct drive feel. Plus it matches my kick pedals. It would take the Speedys being on durastic sale for me to lean that way... More durastic than they will go on, I'm sure.

I know DW makes their stuff so solid you could virtually drop it off the Empire State Building. So solid, it actually makes me mad, in fact - trying to change from chain to nylon drive on my 9002 pedals is a NIGHTMARE because DW factory installs everything SO tight that you can barely unscrew it without stripping the screw head.

Agreed! I got my 9000 single about 6 months ago i still have not been able to install the toe stop but it play like a beauty though, top quality product

Thanks for the kind words guys! Here's a bit of feedback to answer some questions that have come up:

The exposed cable is not a problem. It'll take up to 480 pounds before it breaks and is designed to be very flexible and is extremely hard to kink. I've been throwing it in my hardware bag and tossing other stands on it and giving it as much abuse as possible trying to break anything to no avail.

As for set up, I have a long clamp that I leave attached to the upper end and when I set up (or clamp it on to the house kit's cymbal stand) I simply loosen and fold down the brace and attach it to the foot pedal section. Everything else is preset and locked in place so set up is extremely fast and it weighs very little in the hardware bag.

It makes everything you play now easier and opens up many new musical possibilities. When I have to play a normal straight hi hat stand I can play just fine, but I'm amazed at how much new vocab I have

Here's another review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbDOQfyXhJA

Im curious about the feel. Hows the stick-shock transfer on REMOTE SPEEDY?

I play barefoot, with a direct link to the top rod/hat cymbals like on conventional design HH stands, stick-shock is efficiently transfered to the foot board. I would assume SPEEDY's cable to be a poor transmitter of of stick-shock. Yes or no?

Zero stick shock to the foot would be like playing an X-Hat... not expecting zero transfer, but less is better.

'Jurassic' is a good word to describe the DW 9K HH The thing is heavy, like approaching 30 lbs... and IMO DW's HH's don't age well, the paint fades, chips off, they start looking trashed. Their extra weight also means they're more prone to get dropped off of buildings, or at least when they do get dropped, banged around cause more damage to other gear (and you) than lighter designs.

Hey, sorry I'm way behind the beat seeing your question here. There isn't any stick shock that I've ever noticed. There's a flexible cable instead of a rigid rod transferring vibrations to the foot pedal.

It's not stretchy or mushy like a typical cable hat though since there's no cable housing that compresses when you play the pedal. When you play the hats with your foot you can really feel it just like a normal straight hi hat stand.

Hope that helps! happy drumming, Bill

Okay--I just had to chime in.

I've had my Remote Speedy Hat since the Chicago Drum Show this year--and I LOVE IT.

No turning back. Smoother than my best straight stand.

OK REMOTE SPEEDY users, we get there's some good with this design... now what don't you like about this hi hat, no matter how small, nit picky, what are the cons?

OK REMOTE SPEEDY users, we get there's some good with this design... now what don't you like about this hi hat, no matter how small, nit picky, what are the cons?

You sure do like to stir up trouble! Personally, I don't like the price! And the pedal looks a bit like those cheap no-name pedals that come with cheap sets. I've only seen pictures though.

You sure do like to stir up trouble!

Nah....Les is very cool.......and one who's opinions on gear I ALWAYS make a point of reading. Doesn't mean I always agree, but there's 'food for thought' more often than not.

As for cons.........other than internet reviews/promo's (and Les' props), I know very little about it. I'd love to see one displayed in a store here in Oz and check it out for myself (I know it's really impractical Bill.......but it'd be cool to suss it out personally nonetheless). :)

You sure do like to stir up trouble!

I don't get it.

Im sure Bachman would love to here what people think needs tweeking (if) too.

Personally, I don't like the price!

Not really what I was looking for, but b/f I drop $250 + shipping on one, I want the dirt too, might be manageable , might not, I'll decide.

Back