Solid FAT snare sound

Pachikara-Tharakan

Silver Member
Hello friends,

I am sure this question might have come up before, please recommend heads that can give SOLID FAT sound for Snare and all Tom Toms. I am thinking the sound of Eagles Long Run album or Fleetwood Mac Rumours album.
If you have that exact web page that gives the details, ( musiciansfriend.com or such), , please post.

thanks in advance.

thanks Clayton. well informed article.
I understand tuning is everything, but the type of heads as well play a role right? I am just a basement drummer, not at all professional, but trying to get that Fat sound as close as possible when plays along the records that I mentioned.

thanks again.

I wouldn't describe it as "fat", but, "dead", "muffled". Fold a paper towel in half 4 time and slap it on each drumhead with a big piece of duct tape, there you go. Or Evans hydraulics.

I wouldn't describe it as "fat", but, "dead", "muffled". Fold a paper towel in half 4 time and slap it on each drumhead with a big piece of duct tape, there you go. Or Evans hydraulics.

Or use a wiffleball bat and a beanbag.

Wiffle ball and bats maybe, but for sure 'ddrums' might be what you're looking for. I don't know much about them, but basically they're 'triggers' mounted to each drum and the signal is then run thru a programable circutry. Theoreticaly, you can get the 'exact sound' you want, whether Fleetwood Mac, Bonham, or whatever.

Wow. Where did the train of thought derail here?

Anyway, to address the original question, I've been really happy with the Remo Controlled Sound head for snare. Nice and full sound (and controlled ring), although "fat" comes from tuning alone. I use it on my 14x6.5 brass snare.

Those were some dead snares, especially Henley's --70's muffled hell, that tortured many a drummer like me growing up, as we didn't know how to get that 'radio"drum sound in reality, w/out sounding like wet cardboard, till we got educated on all the tweaking that goes on in a studio. Man, to this day, Henley's toms especially sound like crap on those 70's era albums (Desperado album they are simply hideous, but his nickname of "Golden Throat" was well earned as that boy can sing, and a very solid player), but their music is so good it's deservedly over looked. ;)

Anyway, here's the head you are looking for. It will give you that studio, thick and dense sound, w/ no ring, yet the head will still have decent to good "life" for tone (same for EC1 tom heads --put EC -reso on bottom and you are "living" the studio eq'd sound in your basement:

http://store.evansdrumheads.com/category/148259/EC1_%26amp%3B_EC1_Reverse_Dot

Nice playing Alex, open handed bonus! Great technique w/ your hands on the blast beats.
Not my cup of tea w/ modern metal, but your are talented and obviously worked hard. Good luck.

Back