INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Howdy everyone! I have been lurking here for a good month, and I thought it was finally time to come say hello, join the forums and introduce myself.

I started playing drums with just snare drum first. I went to a private school - so I unfortunately missed out on marching band, but I learned snare for about a year (1995). While doing that, I had a very STRONG urge to learn drumset, but my parents wanted to see me stick with learning the basics on snare first. I still remember my snare drum - $90 at a pawn shop called Cash USA in Pensacola, Fl. It was a old Slingerland 5.5 x 14 all metal snare - Remo black dot on top/unsure about bottom. I learned how to tune it, take it apart, change heads, and play half or so of the rudiments. I was 14 back then, and man was I psyched to play.

So then, a lil' band called +Live+ aired an MTV Unplugged performance in February of 1995, and I was hooked. Chad Gracey's kit was- in my 14 year old eyes - massive with a unique "triangular" tom setup I'd never seen before. I watched that performance over and over again on the VCR until the color started to flicker out and the tape would strain to even play. That was it - I was getting a drumset.

Fast-forward to about December of 2006, and some mail-order catalog somewhere had a drumset in it - a 5 piece Royce with a cymbal, hi-hat and throne for $219. I saved all my money, and finally asked my parents to order it. Well, I didn't know there was a 8 WEEK delivery wait period, and man, every single day was an eternity. I remember the day it FINALLY came in - it was in 2 boxes on the front patio, and I thought "This can't be right!!" Well, I had never put together a drumset before. Remember, my snare came complete from the pawnshop when I purchased it. I didn't know drumsets had "some assembly may be required" on them ;). None-the-less, I was completely stoked beyond words, and I put that kit together that day, and finally after over a year of anticipation, I had my first drumset :)!

So, there's the book introduction to me - long story short - I moved up to a Pearl Export kit up to summer 2001 with a beautiful set of Avedia/Z Custom Zildjians - but, well - I burned out. I ran into "that crowd" of drummers that try to one-up everything you do and would rather compete than learn from one another. It made me loathe drumming, and I sold my set out of spite and uninterest.

But that interest slowly crept back - I purchased, in 2005, a Roland TD6 VDrum set, and I was "back in" partly. I hated not having an acoustic set, but at least it was something. I played on it for about 5.5 years. Then Guitar Center had a Labor Day sale this year ... :)

GC was selling a 7 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit for a crazy price of $750, and since I finally was done with school (both academic and OTS) and have my own place, I said "Let's do it!" Of course, had to buy some cymbals, which I did - a A Custom Zildjian package of 14 hats, 16/18 crash, 20 ride, and an 18" Oriental China. I've added more to the kit, but I don't want to say too much - that's what the "show us your gear" thread is for :D.

So anyhoo, there's my abridged story. Here's my quick stats:

Real name -- Jeremiah
Age -- 31
How long have you been playing-- 16 years - of those, about 9 solid years, 7 on and off
Origin of user name--Always learning new things
Your top 5 drummers -- Mike Mangini, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jared Falk, Mike Portnoy, Lars Ulrich (childhood inspiration - not going to deny it)
Make of drumkit -- Gretsch Catalina Maple
Make of cymbal? -- A Customs: 14 Hihats, 16 Crash, 18 Crash, 18 Projection Crash, 20 Ride, 10 Splash; Avedis: 8 Splash, 18 China High; Sound Effects: 18 Oriental China Trash
Where do you practice? -- Drum Room
Are you in a band? -- Only with my headset/ear buds in :)
Do you play covers or originals? Rudiments/Covers/Grooves when I actually get good ;)
What style of music? If I like it, I play it
Favourite take out food? -- Arbys/Chipotle
What country do you live in? -- US
One really odd fact about yourself? -- I lead with my left hand on drums
How did you start drumming? Read my story :)

Hi everybody,
since you have a nice form I will use it to introduce myself.

Real name -- Massimiliano
Age -- 39
How long have you been playing-- about 20
Origin of user name-- My name (nick-name for non-italian speakers) + familyname
Your top 5 drummers -- Phil Collins, Gavin Harrison, Pick Withers, John Bonham, Ringo.
Make of drumkit -- Self built (not assembled - built) maple kit 14x20, 7x10, 9x13, 10x14, 12x16, snare 5x14
Make of cymbal -- Zildjian K (EAK) and Avedis ('50 and '60s)+ 2 Wuhan China
Where do you practice? -- Home (e-drums) + rehearsal room.
Are you in a band? -- Yes, The PUMMP (yes, two M, don't ask why)
Do you play covers or originals? Originals + a couple of covers
What style of music? Progressive rock
Favourite take out food? -- Greek by Pano's
What country do you live in? -- Germany
One really odd fact about yourself? -- I'm Italian, I work in Germany for a Belgian company.
How did you start drumming? Air drumming on Hotel California way before the term was even invented (maybe)

Cheers!!!

ThePUMMP-17.jpg

Real name?
Age? 50.
How long have you been playing? About 5 years.
Origin of user name? What Tina Turner's character called Mad Max in Mad Max 3.
Your top 5 drummers? Bonham,Baker,Portnoy,Paice,any drummer from the 1930's-40's.
Make of drumkit? Cheap but nice.
Make of cymbal? Linko.High-hats = 14" Schalloch.
Where do you practice? Home.
Are you in a band? Not yet.
Do you play covers or originals? Both.
What style of music? Rock,blues,some funk.
Favourite take out food? Chinese.
What country do you live in? Australia.
One really odd fact about yourself?
How did you start drumming? I got sick of breaking plastic 20 ltr containers with spanners so I bought a cheap kit.

Hey how's it goin :)
Real name? Rohan
Age? 17
How long have you been playing? A few months
Origin of user name? hmm.
Your top 5 drummers? Travis Barker, Buddy Rich,
Make of drumkit? Pearl
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Punk and rock.
How did you start drumming? My dad drums too, so..

Real name? Doug
Age? 61
How long have you been playing? A few months (Born again)
Origin of user name? Just bought a new Gretsch kit and couldn't think of anything else!
Your top 5 drummers? Bonham and Moon
Make of drumkit? Gretsch G Series
Make of cymbal? Sabian B8
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Not yet
Do you play covers or originals?
What style of music? Rock 'n 'Roll
Favourite take out food? Fish and Chips
What country do you live in? UK
How did you start drumming? Played in a band when I was a kid.....

Last edited:
real name? Nate C.
age? 32
how long been playing? 3 weeks
origin of user name? Nickname from High School+
top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Dave Grohl, Brann Dailor, Bud Gaugh, Keith Moon
make of drumkit? Simmons (only cuz I live in an apartment complex and for ease-)
make of cymbal? Simmons (-of recording purposes)
where do you practice? In my home studio (not sound proofed)
are you in a band/s? Was for 3 years as the bass player(main instrument)
covers or originals? Covers
what style of music? Party-Rock Band
favorite take out food? Chinese
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? Don't like someone being in the kitchen when I am.
how did you start drumming? Tired of cutting up drum loops all night, and drummers always look like they are having the most fun out of anyone on stage. So far, its the most fun I've ever had learning an instrument!

http://www.facebook.com/dirtyhippie08
http://www.facebook.com/MorningAfterRecords

Last edited:
Hello Peoples..

Real name? Chris Perra

How long been playing? 28 Years
Origin of user name? My Name
Top 5 drummers? Vinnie Colaiuta, Tommy Aldridge, Steve Gadd, Alex VanHalen, Jojo Mayer
Make of drumkit? TRS Custom Drums
Make of cymbal? Dream Cymbals
Where do you practice? In my recording studio
Ae you in a band/s? Yup, For 24 years
Covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Rock, Metal, Blues, Funk,Jazz
Favorite take out food? Tim Hortons
Country? Canada
One really odd fact about yourself? I hate fish
How did you start drumming? Grew up in a rural area,, was one of the only kids with a kit.. Some friends asked me to play..

What's up evereyone!! I'm green to the forums so here's an introduction.
Name is Michael an dI've been playing around 13 years. Did some time with experimental and progressive bands while studying classical percussion and art at Louisiana Tech University. Currently in Austin Tx teaching a few students and writing a solo drum EP for release at the beginning of the year (think Terry Bozzio and Grant Collins). Good to be here!!

My drumming page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/negativei
There's no music posted as I'm still writing but all updates will be through the fb page for those interested.

real name? Jim S.
age? 56 (57 in January)
how long been playing? Off & on (mostly off) since the 5th grade
origin of user name? Had an income tax business about 15 years ago. The initials stuck.
top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Ringo, Meytal Cohen, Henry Weck
make of drumkit? Gretsch round-badge frankenkit, Yamaha Stage Custom
make of cymbal? Zildjian A's
where do you practice? Converted shed in my back yard
are you in a band/s? Surf band and sub for Classic Rock band
covers or originals? Covers
what style of music? Surf and Classic Rock
favorite take out food? In 'N' Out
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? Played the Bass drum in the Salvation Army band when I was a teenager
how did you start drumming? Had a demonstration of different band instruments in the 5th grade. Fell in love with the snare drum. My dad bought me an Acrolite. Somebody stole it when I was in High School. It had a keystone badge. Wish I still had it.

Last edited:
HELLO FELLOW DRUMMERS...
here is my short introduction.

real name? Michele Drees
age? Never ask a Lady!! lol
how long been playing? 30 years
origin of user name? Just chose anything that popped into my head.
top 6 drummers? Max Roach, Tony Williams, Zigaboo Modeliste, David Garibaldi,Harvey Mason, Godd!
make of drumkit? Yamaha 9000 Recording series.
make of cymbal? Zildjian's
where do you practice? Roland V drums TD8 at home but need to get into a studio more often!!!
are you in a band/s? Have been in loads.
Kirsty MacColl,
Marc Almond,
Seal,
Badmarsh and Shri,
Jonathon Ross house band:-
KD Lang,
Candy Dulfer,
Mica Paris,
and lots more...
Currently run my own Jazz quartet with a tap dancer!!

country?London UK

one really odd fact about yourself? I have a Brasilian band called Sonhos do Brasil where I leave the drums behind and play guitar and sing in Portuguese. This is serious hobby!

how did you start drumming? I was shy and needed to be heard!!! LOL

Last edited:
HELLO FELLOW DRUMMERS...
here is my short introduction.

real name? Michele Drees
age? Never ask a Lady!! lol
how long been playing? 30 years
origin of user name? Just chose anything that popped into my head.
top 5 drummers? Max Roach, Tony Williams, Zigaboo Modeliste, David Garibaldi,Harvey Mason
make of drumkit? Yamaha 9000 Recording series.
make of cymbal? Zildjian's
where do you practice? Roland V drums TD8 at home but need to get into a studio more often!!!
are you in a band/s? Have been in loads.
Kirsty MacColl,
Marc Almond,
Seal,
Badmarsh and Shri,
Jonathon Ross house band:-
KD Lang,
Candy Dulfer,
Mica Paris,
and lots more...
Currently run my own Jazz quartet with a tap dancer!!

country?London UK

one really odd fact about yourself? I have a Brasilian band called Sonhos do Brasil where I leave the drums behind and play guitar and sing in Portuguese. This is serious hobby!

how did you start drumming? I was shy and needed to be heard!!! LOL
Really superb to have you hang out here Michele. There's a ton of great pro drummers on this, the biggest drum forum in the world, but precious few girls of your playing calibre. Thanks for chiming in & enriching our discussions.

Great to have you here Mich! It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and to see you play at the LDS earlier this year. I was the big guy with the jacket and the beard hanging around with Andy and Henri. Loved your reaction to the Classic Series kit.

Real name? Michi
Age? 25
How long have you been playing? 20 years I think
Origin of user name? the name of my Facebook page where i add a free drum lesson every day www.facebook.com/dailydrumlesson
Your top 5 drummers? changes every day
Make of drum kit? 60's Ludwig, 2 70's Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? In my practice room?!
Are you in a band? more than one
Do you play covers or originals? depends on the band
What style of music? nearly everything, but not too heavy pls
Favourite take out food? changes every day
What country do you live in? Germany
One really odd fact about yourself? I love 60's Hardware and everything is moving while i am playing
How did you start drumming? can't remember

How long have you been playing: 28 +
Currently re-visiting: Paul Motian, Krupa, Antonio Sanchez, Simon Phillips, Gary Husband
Make of drum kit: 70's Chrome Ludwig DB, Premier Genista, DW
Make of cymbal: Paiste & Zild
Where do you practice: Home studio
Are you in a band: Not currently
Do you play covers or originals: Both
What style of music: Fusion, funk, blues, hard rock
What country do you live in: U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself: This is the first forum I have ever joined. Don't everyone laugh at once.
How did you start drumming: I discovered at a very early age that laying in bed and playing the wall with both feet was both amusing and addictive.

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying all of you and the wealth of information here for a few months. While I've been absent from drumming for a few years, this community and it's spirit has done the same for me as it has for many others here (is my sense) ...re-energize and motivate to get back in the saddle. I'll post pics and some audio in the future when I'm un-packed, finished scratching my head, set up and back on board. I appreciate the opportunity to join here. You all can certainly be so proud to have this wonderful place by which to interact on so many different levels..

All My Best,

-Pamela

Hi, my name is Sava, I'm 32 years old and have been playing drums for 6 years now. I've started late, but it's never too late. My drumset is Yamaha Tour Custom with Ludwig Black Beauty snare, Paiste 2002 cymbals and Gibraltar hardware. I have a band called Voltron and we play covers, only rock. I'm from a small town in country of Serbia. So greetings to everyone here!

I've re-posted my introduction here now that a registration issue has been resolved and my user name is working. Thank you Admin....

How long have you been playing: 28 +
Currently re-visiting: Paul Motian, Krupa, Antonio Sanchez, Simon Phillips, Gary Husband
Make of drum kit: 70's Chrome Ludwig DB, Premier Genista, DW
Make of cymbal: Paiste & Zild
Where do you practice: Home studio
Are you in a band: Not currently
Do you play covers or originals: Both
What style of music: Fusion, funk, blues, hard rock
What country do you live in: U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself: This is the first forum I have ever joined. Don't everyone laugh at once.
How did you start drumming: I discovered at a very early age that laying in bed and playing the wall with both feet was both amusing and addictive.

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying all of you and the wealth of information here for a few months. While I've been absent from drumming for a few years, this community and it's spirit has done the same for me as it has for many others here (is my sense) ...re-energize and motivate to get back in the saddle. I'll post pics and some audio in the future when I'm un-packed, finished scratching my head, set up and back on board. I appreciate the opportunity to join here. You all can certainly be so proud to have this wonderful place by which to interact on so many different levels..

All My Best,

-Pamela

How long have I been playing: About 25 years
Origin of my username: My eldest boy is Dutch and I live in Rothwell, near KETTERING,Northamptonshire - So I am 'Marco from Roth(well)!!'
Top 5 drummers: Tommy Lee, Alex Van Halen, Glen Sobel, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland
Make of Drumkit: Custom-made by Tee-Drums, Cotswolds, England. Limited edition 'Moonshine' finish
Make of Cymbals: Zildjian Z3 Series - 14" MasterSound Hi Hats, 22" Rock Ride, 18" Rock Crash, 16" Rock Crash, 18" China, 12" Splash, and a nice Dream Cymbal - Dark Matter Flat Earth Ride 22"
Where do you practice: The Nightmare Drum Studio - at the back of my house.
Are you or were you in a band: I'm looking for one - but my job takes me worldwide :-(.
Covers or originals: Covers at the moment.
Style of music: Good driving rock music
Take out food: I don't really eat sh1t food.
Drink: Red wine and real ales.
How did I start drumming: Self-taught, more-or-less.

Back