The SICKEST wood snare drum ever!

You can get real thick-ass ply shells, too. Keller sells up to 50-ply snare drums which is probably around 1 1/2" thick.

That's just ridiculous.......I need to hear that thing. I bet "choked" is a good way to describe the sound of it.

On Antithesis, it sounds more like something other than a drum....kinda like that sound you hear when Harrison Ford punches someone in any of his movies, but super-condensed and at warp speed...you really hear it when longsteth goes into a groove other than a blastbeat...it almost has more of the character of a heavy, dry ride cymbal than a drum! I'd love to hear just the drumtracks of the album...then again there's tons of EQ of course, and thats why i really want to hear the natural tone. Even his live videos are not really enough to justify the sound/character of it because he triggers the whole kit.

I recently re-tuned my 6.5x14" steel snare drum to have more of this kind of sound, you know that razor-sharp, cutting attack with almost no overtone, yet without choking the sound like what moongel does to the sound. 42 strand wires cranked all the way up really makes it happen.

I'm wondering if it is too thick to even resonate, and I can't believe it would sound any different than a 6 inch , or whatever the inside diameter is. The sound is going to travel right thru the drum to the bottom head and I can't believe it would be loud.

Back