Axis + Trick really the dogs B****cks?

PeniScott

Silver Member
I haven't heard a whole lot about either of these two pedal brands before but the few opinions i have heard have been very mixed.

I'm no good with their model names but from what i can gather, they are smooth, great-feeling and quick. And are also heavy, too smooth (which i can understand) and not worth the price.

The price thing i can relate to. There was a recent thread the other day commenting on the $900 price tag of Axis' latest pedal design that essentially had a different looking footboard and a slightly different beater angle, which so far as i know could be adjusted anyway...

For those of you who have tried or even owned Axis or Trick pedals, or both for the sake of comparison, please feel free to comment on them.

I'd never buy either, i won't have that sort of money in a while, but i'm just curious as to why they cost as much as a small moon.

xoxo

I'd never buy either, i won't have that sort of money in a while, but i'm just curious as to why they cost as much as a small moon.
That's simple, in both cases it's relatively small companies using high quality materials and highly skilled labor, and both are made in the USA. Not your typical mass-production which means pretty high production costs.

Last edited:
Fair play. I didn't know if they were 'small' of 'big' companies because i've seen several internationally touring bands using their pedals but not much else in the way of marketing/publicity.

Wouldn't happen to have tried either, have you?
xoxo

I owned axis for a few months but had to sell them and i ended up getting demoin drives becuase the axis pedals i wanted to get were back ordered for 6 weeks and guitar center was having a sale on the demon drives, I recently sold the DD's after owning them for 3 months and just got axis again, except for the fact that the sonic hammer beaters come unadjusted every 2 seconds it is the best pedal i have ever layed feet on lolz, Id reccomend it 2 everyone

I own many different pedals and last year I was again looking for a pedal that was built great, had a fantastic feel and was very easy to adjust without having to crawl on my hands and feet under my snare. I tried every high end pedal I could get my feet on including the Demon Drives, two variations of the Axis, Trick and a couple others. I don't make my decisions very quickly, actually I spent about two months going back and forth, testing them on pads, then on kits, making adjustments and talking to other people who own these pedals, using them in the real world. After a lot of deliberations, it came down to the Trick Pro1 V. I personally think that it's a great pedal with all the adjustsment made with a simple drum key. It was a bit pricey, but not bad for a single pedal. I've had it over a year and I never regretted my decision.

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

Dennis

Wouldn't happen to have tried either, have you?
I spent a short time with an Axis X Longboard double pedal, no more than a couple of minutes. Obviously, I haven't had enough time to get myself really acquainted with the pedal, but I can say it felt and played really good, with a specific light feel to it not quite comparable to anything else I've had a chance to try.

Also, what do you think of the direct drive as opposed to chain/strap drive?
Again, i've heard mixed views, some people say that it really adds to the overall feel and makes you feel really connected to the pedal, others have said it doesn't have the more 'natural' feeling of a chain or strap-drive.

It's a very sturdy looking design there, too.
xoxo

Also, what do you think of the direct drive as opposed to chain/strap drive?

I'd suggest trying a direct drive pedal before purchasing. They are indeed a very different feel and not for everybody. I find them to be very "honest" pedals. Any playing inconsistencies are transferred straight to the drum head......all those little pedal bounces as a result of burying the beater etc, that are unintentional can be heard clearly.

I realise that Axis or Trick are hard to try out in person due to limited floor stock in stores, but get your feet on a Demon Drive or something that's widely available. They will certainly give you an idea of the different feel of direct drive pedals.

I used to own a Trick long board Pro V1, it was consistent and easy to adjust but I didn't like the feel, the board felt to heavy and the beater to light, it got sold

I now have an Axis A short board and I think the feel is much better than anything else I've tried, I use a kick trigger live and the Axis Ekit trigger system is PERFECTION and I've tried and made a lot of Edrum gear,
the adjustments may be a little time consuming but that's a non-issue for me, for me it didn't take long to set up and I've not need to do much adjusting since

I own the Axis AL-2's, and have played the Trick dominators the feel of the two pedals are comparable, both fast and smooth with the ability to get quite a lot of spring tension.

I really like the Axis' pedals and I will buy them every trip of the train (buy USA!) but, that being said. When I play with my second band (slower hardcore / beatdown instead of death metal) I love playing my Pearl Eliminators, even more so then my axis'.

When you boil it down it all comes to feel... if you want light and fast go trick / axis, but if you want smooth and steady everything else is just fine.

P.S, I can go the same speed on both pedals, the main difference is the amount of force you have to use behind your stroke.

Well, if you check out some of my other posts you'll see that a few months back I was offered a good deal on two Axis pedals. My drum dealer let me take an Axis home for a while to test it out and see if I like it.

It was either Axis, Trick or DW 9000s.

After only a short while playing the Axis it started to make noises. I don't think they can really hold up. I've heard alot about guys buying them brand new and within weeks they fall apart. They always end up selling them off. Also, they don't seem to have much power. I believe the new model you're talking about has dealt with this problem.

DW 9000s are good solid pedals...but they feel too heavy. Okay single work.

I went with the Trick Bigfoot Double. Can't say a bad thing about them. They're the pedal I've been waiting for.

You can read my other posts for all that info.

SonorPlayer

... "except for the fact that the sonic hammer beaters come unadjusted every 2 seconds it is the best pedal i have ever layed feet on lolz"...

EZ fix BTW

Take thee Hammers-head wing bolt out, file the end till shiny, you can use whatever, even rub it on sandpaper. The hammers ball is brass, the steel bolt will grab onto the brass better if its not tarnished/dirty, brass ball should also be shiny (keep your balls clean)... lube the bolt also.

Align/tighten the beater face every time you play, should have no problems with loosening.

Back