Which13 inch snare would you also use as a main snare?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Awesome 16 page journey through the good snare thread! ALL Very GOOD!

My question is, can anyone recommend a good 13 inch snare that will also work as a main snare?
I have a 14 x 5.5 DW collectors “10-6” maple snare currently. I am looking for a little brighter pop and crack with some low end as well. Hence my interest in the 13’s.
Currently playing Alt rock, Christian Rock. Some Jazz and funk in the future.

I also have a 10 x 6 popcorn snare, which really cracks. However, it is really just one dimensional with limited versatility. I couldn’t use it as a spicy main snare.

I like the Yamaha Steve Jordan tone and crack. Though my 2 friends have to retighten the tension rods every time they play. A badge came loose too.
My budget is right around $250-300.

I have seen a used Pearl Omar Hakim signature 5x13'' for $200. Would that be a good deal?
It only 5 inches deep though. What does a shorter shell do?

What heads would you use for a slightly brighter tone?
Thanks again!

My 6.5x13 Yamaha Mushashi and 6x13 Tempus FG are both great snares that I used as a main for quite some time. They make regular recording appearances.

I really wish I'd not sold my 6x13 DW Edge Craviatto and my 6.5x13 Yamaha Brass Noveau.

All of these were fantastic main snares.

Re: Which 13 inch snare would you also use as a main snare?

Thanks Ian. Heard good things about that Yamaha. Any issues with loosening lugs or strainers?

I love my 5.5x13 Maple Mapex Black Panther.
Not expensive, but very responsive with a great crack and the rim shots are just wonderful.
I bought mine new at an eBay music store auction for $150.
I use it as my main almost all of the time.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get a great sounding drum.

A shallower snare is more responsive and crisp than a deep snare drum.
I also have a 5x13 wooden snare from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit that plays well even though it only has six lugs.
If you like to play soft and light a shallow snare is for you.
You can also hit a shallow snare hard and get a great crack.
Deep snare drums are more suited for hard rock and metal, but some other genre players do use them.

You have to try and decide for yourself which snare depth is right for you.
In my case I have found that the deep snare drums are not for me. I have tried many of them. That's just Me!

Last edited:
I love my 5.5x13 Maple Mapex Black Panther.
Not expensive, but very responsive with a great crack and the rim shots are just wonderful.
I bought mine new at an eBay music store auction for $150.
I use it as my main almost all of the time.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get a great sounding drum.

Bob,

@ 5.5 deep, do you get enough low - end? Yeah, I like the pricing on those...

Bob,

@ 5.5 deep, do you get enough low - end? Yeah, I like the pricing on those...
Yes, I get enough low end for my needs. I play Moderate Rock, Country, and Jazz.
I found the deeper snare drums to be a bit to much for me.
You have to try for yourself and compare.

3"x13" Pearl Brass Piccolo.

Great snare, sensitive and loud at the same time. I'm not concerned with this 'low-end' stuff though, so I suppose it's not an end-all snare.

Perhaps the Steve Jordan sig snare. Or at least a 13" snare that is as deep as his (6.5")

I've heard that one in a few different settings and thought it sounded pretty good. I think there was even a YouTube video somewhere that featured the snare in a band context with a few different tunings.

My Unix 13 x 6.5 is a cannon.....absolutely recommend one if you can find one.

F

I know the user Evilbagua is trying to sell a 13x7 Black Magic snare. I'm really not sure how it sounds but I'm sure he'll let it go for a good price.

I've been using a Musashi for a couple of years now, and highly recommend it. It's very full, lively and loud. Tuned properly it has plenty of low-end. I must admit, it took me awhile to figure out how to get a satisfactory lower tuning, but now that I have, it's great. I don't find that it detunes any more than any other snare I've used.

Perhaps the Steve Jordan sig snare. Or at least a 13" snare that is as deep as his (6.5")

I've heard that one in a few different settings and thought it sounded pretty good. I think there was even a YouTube video somewhere that featured the snare in a band context with a few different tunings.

Yeah, that is a nice one. A little beyond my budget point. Our church drummer uses one, and mentioned some lugs loosening. It has a nice crack though. Guess I will be working in the 13 x "6.5" Specs. Those dimensions should provide some low - end with some crack and pop.

Last edited:
I've been using a Musashi for a couple of years now, and highly recommend it. It's very full, lively and loud. Tuned properly it has plenty of low-end. I must admit, it took me awhile to figure out how to get a satisfactory lower tuning, but now that I have, it's great. I don't find that it detunes any more than any other snare I've used.

I'm considering this one. Good price point. My only concern was the lugs loosening (which is wierd considering it's a Yammie). So...detuning not an issue...worth my consideration!

Pearl Omar Hakim .................................20

Yamaha Akira Jimbo snare. I use it as a main snare along with my Ludwig 5" Supra all depending on the situation!

Any 13 x 5 (or deeper) TAMA, GRETSCH, or PORK PIE fans?

Other brands as well?

The new Mapex Black Panthers are some of the best snares on the planet.
I would suggest the Mapex Black Panther Blaster 13x7" for you but it is a little over your budget, not by much though (about $324 US). There are many more though, some for a little less $ too.

Oh, I like the Pork pie 13x7" Little Squeeler too but it is a little dry and doesnt have alot of low end. I might be getting one myself.

Check these out...Theyre amazing.

www.mapexdrums.com/drums/blackpanther/index.html

Re: Which 13 inch snare would you also use as a main snare?

Thanks Ian. Heard good things about that Yamaha. Any issues with loosening lugs or strainers?

Actually, yes. I have started using blue Loctite (mild hold - this holds the rods and DOES NOT damage the threads) on both my Tempus and Yamaha drums. That is my ONLY issue with my Mushashi drum. The strainer is awesome.

On the brass drum, I'm the only person I know who has had a Nouveau lug break on me, so I replaced the stock lugs with tube lugs and the drum worked wonderfully until I sold it.

Back