Stay with Single Pedal or Go For Double?

Souljacker

Silver Member
Hi,

At the moment I have a Pearl P1000 single pedal. It's quite a good pedal.

I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree but thats really the only double bass using band I listen to really or play. Maybe the odd few others but I don't listen much to them.

Been thinking of a new pedal, either single or double. Might regret if I don't get the double since it gives me more possibilities and I'd have to buy again if I ever needed a double.

Might be able to stretch to the budget of a Tama Speed Cobra or Iron Cobra. What's the best Iron Cobra to get for both single and double?

Are there any good options at this pricepoint from Mapex or Yamaha that are dark horse pedals (outside the big pedal brands?)

...Might regret if I don't get the double since it gives me more possibilities and I'd have to buy again if I ever needed a double....

Look for a double pedal that can also be used as two singles.

That way you won't regret not getting a double, a double will be there if you find a need or use for it, and you will have two nice single pedals to use in the meantime.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I think you'll ultimately end up with a good single, and a good double in the future anyway.

The music determines what gear you use. Trying to plan for your eventual use of a double pedal will have the effect of you using the double somewhat inappropriately as you try to squeeze it into whatever music you're playing. I suggest staying with a single until you find a situation where you need the double. And for me, in a lot of instances, I never say "I wish I had a double pedal", and nobody I work with has ever said "I wish you had a double pedal".

But, it is up to you. I'd spend the extra money spent on a double pedal on another cymbal, or maybe a second snare - you can always use those.

The music determines what gear you use. Trying to plan for your eventual use of a double pedal will have the effect of you using the double somewhat inappropriately as you try to squeeze it into whatever music you're playing. I suggest staying with a single until you find a situation where you need the double. And for me, in a lot of instances, I never say "I wish I had a double pedal", and nobody I work with has ever said "I wish you had a double pedal".

Wise words indeed.

The thing is, if you got it in your crawl, you're probably gonna get one anyway, like Bo says. Why are there no double hi hat pedals?

Are they better than Cobras in your opinion?

Better? I can't tell you to be honest, only you will be able to say this, what fit me might not fit you.

When I felt the need to change my pedal, I wanted to purchase an Iron Cobra or a Speedcobra, I've been happy with Tama for 30 years, but which one to buy, Power Glide, Roller Glide, Flexi Glide...then I discovered the Falcon, and with the accessories which come standard with the pedal, you can emulate all 3 Cobra designs and more, you can even have more options, for exemple you could have a Flexi Glide fitted with different cams, you can't do this with the Tama.

But it's very subjective to personal taste, for me it's the best pedal I ever owned as a drummer, you own to try it for yourself, I don't know if you're allowed to try all the options in a shop, but it certainly worth a try.

I second Bo's advice, you really need to have the use of a double pedal for the music you play, don't forget, there's a lot which can be achieved with a single pedal.

I played double pedal or a double bass drum kit for about 28 years, and 2 years ago, I decided to go with a single pedal again, and to this day is the better choice I ever did, I really doubt I'll go back to a double pedal again.

Are there any good options at this pricepoint from Mapex or Yamaha that are dark horse pedals (outside the big pedal brands?)
When choosing a pedal, you need to get your feet on 'em. I love my Yamaha Direct Drive pedals (of which I have 3 singles). For a double, I use a Sleishman (but that's way outta your price range).​

Most of the guys I've met who have phenomenal chops on a single pedal got that way by not using a double.

When I first got a double I spent a lot of time trying to get some technique down with it. These days, I'm spending more time trying not to use the left pedal. I'm about ready to go back to a single and just keep the double for special occasions. But as Bo said, let the music determine your needs.

If you KEEP finding yourself trying to use the single pedal for fills that favor a double, then it's worth a consideration. Most here will tell you to develop the single pedal skill first.
I started with a single, but personally could not get as quick as a double pedal with some grooves I was working on. I don't play metal, but I love the versatility that DB grooves can give you.

Also, I've seen some incredible single pedal work from many cats out there. Unfortunately I lack their patience and determination. I treat that 2nd pedal as the addition of another limb.

Just remember, it's gonna cost TIME AND MONEY. But then what doesn't in the world of drumming?

Well, that's the thing. Most of the music doesn't require it and I've played single pedal for nearly 7 years. My single pedal technique is good and I have good stamina on it. But I'm big into Porcupine Tree and it's been 90 percent of my listening in the past year I'd say.

Some of the songs absolutely require the double pedal and some you would need a double pedal to spice the songs up and vary.

I saw Derek Roddy recommend the DW 2002 the other week on the forum. It's a pretty cheap pedal and sounds decent. I've heard the 5002 have long term build issues which put me off them.

Is there any way to make the double purely a single, disattach them like? I don't know much about em.

Some of the songs absolutely require the double pedal and some you would need a double pedal to spice the songs up and vary.

Are you talking about Porcupine Tree songs? Or are you talking about songs that you'd actually hear covered by say, a wedding band or some other entity designed to earn money?

Just sayin' ;)

Are you talking about Porcupine Tree songs? Or are you talking about songs that you'd actually hear covered by say, a wedding band or some other entity designed to earn money?

Just sayin' ;)

Sorry, should have clarified the songs I was talking about with the double pedal needs were all PT songs.

Back