Question for Bermuda, Bobdadruma or Anyone - Concert Toms

ohiodrummer1964

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice given.

I am receiving the limited edition Pearl Rythm Traveler Pod kit tomorrow. It has 8, 10 and 12 concert toms.

I know from reading through several posts on heads for concert toms that Remo Emporors, Evans Hydraulics and Aquarian Studio-X Coated have been recomended as good heads for concert toms. I've listened to Bobdadruma's sound files with his Aquarian Studio-X's and those heads do seem to give a nice, warm tone that would be useful in a blues/jazz/traditional R&B/Classic rock setting. I'd like to know if anyone thinks the Remo Fiberskyn's would be useful for achieving that same sort of tone.

Also, I would like to get a more modern tone for Praise and Worship music, and am thinking clear 2-ply's would be the way to go. I specifically don't want the dead, lack of sustain tone of the 70's, even though I was raised on that music and tone and love the sound of Peter Criss, Phil Collins, Carl Palmer, Gil Moore, Neal Peart, Bill Bruford etc. from that era. I'm just looking for a modern sound for this particular set.

Bermuda, I've noticed you mention that with the advancements in drum head manufacturing of the last 30 years one can get a nice, warm sustain out of a concert tom, and I've noticed you have Evans clear heads in the pics of your Ludwig and Slingerland concert tome sets. Would you mind telling me which heads you use for your concert toms?

Again, thanks in advance for any advice,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

If I'm not mistaken, the Pearl kit has shallow toms, so they're only going to deliver so much body & warmth. But, they'll still sound good with nice presence.

Head choice is such a personal preference, it's hard to say exactly which head will sound right on those toms to your ear in a Church setting. But based on the drummers you mentioned, I would start with a single ply coated head, and keep some moon gel or gaff tape handy.

My white Vistalite concert toms currently have Evans EC2 sst heads (the Slingerlands have Pinstripes, which are original to the kit from 33 years ago.) But I have a few new favorite heads, the Evans G+, G14, and especially the Strata 1000 (you'd need to order them) for concert toms, and vintage drums. It's a basic 10mil head, but has a texture that puts it right between a clear and coated head. It's a real sleeper, and not very common because stores normally don't carry them (along with another fave head, the coated EMAD.) But a terrific head that speaks without being too brittle, and has a lovely tone. I've got them on my Jenkins-Martin Blaemire concert toms, and they're just great! (Yes, they have a light brown color)

blaemire_toms.jpg

But, for shallower, smaller shells, I think a coated 1-ply is a good place to start.

Bermuda

Last edited:
My pool deck isn't big enough.

Thanks for the reply, Bermuda. I had thought about single ply coated for the exact reason you mentioned. A 2-ply clear doesnt seem like it would resonate or add as much warmth, seeing as the toms are so shallow (3.5, 4 and 5).

I'll go with that advice.

Also, any progress on your concert tom website? I saw it while searching for information and love it. It's about time for them to get some respect, considering how much they have contributed to classic music that is stilll played on the radio.

Thanks,
Kevin

Glad ya dig the site, I haven't done many updates in the last few months, but when I get a few minutes, I'll add some photos that people have sent me.

Bermuda

I used many heads on my Concert toms over the years.
I had hydraulic, and also 1 and 2 ply clear and coated.
You name it.
My RT kit always sounded best with single ply.
I had Evans EC1 coated on it for a long time and they sounded great.

Thanks Bob,

I'm definitely going with 1 ply coated. I want the greater resonance of the 1 ply, plus the greater warmth of the coated.

I do have one more question, will a 10 mil medium weight be OK, or should I go with a 7 or 7.5 thin weight, considering the Rythm Traveler Pod's toms are even more shallow than the RT you used to have (3.5, 4 and 5 as compared to 5, 5 and 5, respectively).

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks Bob,

I'm definitely going with 1 ply coated. I want the greater resonance of the 1 ply, plus the greater warmth of the coated.

I do have one more question, will a 10 mil medium weight be OK, or should I go with a 7 or 7.5 thin weight, considering the Rythm Traveler Pod's toms are even more shallow than the RT you used to have (3.5, 4 and 5 as compared to 5, 5 and 5, respectively).

Thanks,
Kevin
10 mil and up are the best thickness for single ply batters. Thinner heads don't last long as batters.

Back