Billy Ward here!

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

largo61 said:
Great drummer among us. But I would like to ask a question. What kind of hi-hat do you use? I think it is a 12''. Is it a mini hat or can I get a 14'' version? I love that clip of instructional video. It really helped me doing roles up and down the toms. And I discovered a problem in my technique while learning this. I am a lefty. But I do roles leading with my right hand. It complicates things a little.

Largo - that is wonderful! Some people need every little thing in a teaching instructional spelled out - which if you do, then others (like me) get bored.. So you can't win either way almost! :D But you GOT it - and even though I wasn't speaking directly about lefties, you put it together. Cheers!
I prefer smaller hats with pop music - I like the way "chirp" and yes, they are really quite a bit harder to control - especially in semi-open position. But I love them. Those are 10" recording series (since discontinued - story of my life!) in the DVD. There are a couple-places where I am mplaying 13" quickbeats too...
Lately I'm playing 11" prototypes (the best part of being an artist with a companyh is getting to play at their factory!:D) which are as loud as 14s, but still small and fast - very interesting combination.

To Rudy and all the others here who have said hello - THANKS!

Great forum!! Billy, I bought your vid not long ago and must say thanks! Your set up theory has helped me out, still working on my 2nd floortom placement. Trying to play hihat with my right hand in front of my left instead of over it. Hard to break old habits!! Thanks for taking time out to speak on this board.

Mike St.Clair said:
Great forum!! Billy, I bought your vid not long ago and must say thanks! Your set up theory has helped me out, still working on my 2nd floortom placement. Trying to play hihat with my right hand in front of my left instead of over it. Hard to break old habits!! Thanks for taking time out to speak on this board.

Yeah Mike - hang in there. IT isn't easy, but it's gratifying when you realize you need your lucky underwear anymore to play well... :D

hey billy!

nice to see you stop by on drummerworld! this forum has just gotten even better!

Hey I just read this thread ! ....... Welcome Billy and it's wonderful to have you here cheers !

Billy!

Surprised and delited to see you here.

You have been one of my biggest influences in last year, as I've really begun to come into my own as a drummer. Your sense rhythmic style and creativity have been of great inspiration...

...yeah okay so ive lifted a couple ideas too...haha

Anyway...again, very nice to see you here...and if you ever have a few minutes spare time, send me a private message. It'd be great to have a conversation with you.

Gooday,
Bryson AKA Mündo

P.S.

Must give credit where credit is due. Bernhard, I'd never know who Billy was if it wasn't for this site...can't praise you enough. A king, nay, a saint among drummers.

a star among loads of normal people. Nice to meet you, Billy !!

Hey Billy,

Did you get a chance to do any Fishing the last time you were in Utah?

Your DVD is next on my list. I love your style and the clips I've seen. I guess I should just get off this forum and go get it today.

bonhamismygod - Actually I post just aabout everyday - usually several times a day at my site's forum - which is the front page of billyward.com, but I will check in here alot - it's a great site - Bernhard is one of my favorites! :D
and Rick - no.. I have yet to spend enough time in Utah to get to fishing!

billy billy billy... you had some really nice grooves on your DVD one took me awhile to figure out but i think i got it, excellent information in the DVD i hope soon you'll come to Toronto to do a Drum Clinic

Hi Billy,

I got your DVD from the store just the other day. Watched it about three times now and I have to say that your thinking about drumming was really nice to hear. I might be wrong here but what I got out of this DVD was to let our innerselves come through the drums, let the soul come out and play. ;) I've just gotten back into serious playing and you helped me get that back and since your DVD I've noticed a big time change (no pun intended, well maybe a tinny pun) in my playing and over all listening and thinking of music.

Thanks for the refreshing lesson. :)

Hey Billy! Great to see you here. I frequented your forum a few times. I have to say again how much I love your DVD and how inspiring it is. Even the jam sections inspire me as a bass player, so that's a double bonus :)

Hi Billy Gerry here.. your li'l Scottish Pal from billyward.com.. looks like I find myself here too..
still workin with those Soda Bottles.. the best filling for an interesting Shaker sound so far is believe it or not::: Spaghetti..snapped into little lengths.. sounds amazing!!!
Hope all well.. Gerry

Back