Marching bass drum conversion to kick

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm looking at a 26" marching bass to convert to a kick drum and build a set different than the one I currently use. Anyone here convert a marcher to kick? If so, what are the pros and cons? Currently using a 22x18 DW. Hope to hear from you soon as the guy is anxious to sell and I want to make sure I'm the buyer. Thanks. JW

I don't think there are many cons, if you are handy. You'll need to install spurs, and possibly refinish, if that matters to you.

I don't think there are many cons, if you are handy. You'll need to install spurs, and possibly refinish, if that matters to you.

This.

I have a few marching/concert bass drums I use as kick drums. I don't even put spurs on them. Probably only need to do that if you plan on mounting toms/cymbals to it, or anticipate playing on uneven/slanted stages...

Purchased a 26 x 14 used Pearl Championship all maple bass. Should be here Monday the 17th. Got some Gibraltar telescoping spurs. Would have gotten the hoop "clip ons" if it were an older "vintage" drum. I'll post pics when it gets here, meanwhile here it is on the left with its 18, 20, 22, and 24 inch siblings

Attachments

• my 26 2.jpg
    my 26 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 505
  • my 26.jpg
    my 26.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 475
I just finished a marching bass drum conversion.
A Ludwig 26X14, it worked out great and sounds incredible.
Originally white cortex finish I had it wrapped in a vintage Silver Sparkle
to match my old 3 ply toms.

A pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2369 copy.JPG
    IMG_2369 copy.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 627
I had the drum done professionally by Resurrection Drums here in Florida.
The fella that stripped the drum said getting the old wrap off was a b*tch.
I'm glad I had them do it I think it came out great.

I was considering doing this with my Yamaha Recording Custom kit. The main kick I use is 20x18 and it sounds good, but sometimes you want a different sound. The only con I can think of is that I imagine the build quality of the marching bass drums are usually less than drum kit drums, but other than that I think it's a really smart purchase. You get an extra kick, usually the prices are fair, and a lot of the time depending on the brand you use you can find a matching drum to fit your kit. For example I found a type of Yamaha marching bass that uses the same exact lugs as my kit, and the same color so it's a perfect match. As for spurs, I agree with Gruntersdad that the hoop mounted spurs might loosen eventually, but the spurs used by maxcolumbus look like they are really high quality. By the way, that kit is beautiful, I'm jealous.

I just finished a marching bass drum conversion.
A Ludwig 26X14, it worked out great and sounds incredible.
Originally white cortex finish I had it wrapped in a vintage Silver Sparkle
to match my old 3 ply toms.

A pic.

To Quote Lyman Zerga from Ocean's 11: "That is the sexiest thing I've ever seen".
It just fits perfect!

Occasionally, our school district will hold auctions of equipment. I went to one & tried to get some of their marching drums (quads & a 24" bass). Seems other districts attend as well & I was outbid on the first round.

Live and learn.

Back