Neil Peart

I will have to admit that i also thought that red tama kit from the "signals" tour ( that I seen from the 3rd row) was a superstar kit, as in my avatar, but i stand corrected.To me, Artstar kit allways had those lugs that connected. Maybe it just had Artstar shells with superstar lugs? In 1986, i bought a tama superster mahogony kit, the actual "Neil Peart" model. when the kit showed up, for some reason the 15" bass mnt tom came as a floor tom, and i never did anything about it.Then like an Idiot, I sold one of the bass drums cuz I needed the money. then in 1990 i sold the whole kit to friend so i could buy my now wife, a engagement ring ( what a dumb puss ) anyway the good news is, the set still sits in his basement office, untouched 17 yrs later.

timebandit said:
I will have to admit that i also thought that red tama kit from the "signals" tour ( that I seen from the 3rd row) was a superstar kit, as in my avatar, but i stand corrected.To me, Artstar kit allways had those lugs that connected. Maybe it just had Artstar shells with superstar lugs? In 1986, i bought a tama superster mahogony kit, the actual "Neil Peart" model. when the kit showed up, for some reason the 15" bass mnt tom came as a floor tom, and i never did anything about it.Then like an Idiot, I sold one of the bass drums cuz I needed the money. then in 1990 i sold the whole kit to friend so i could buy my now wife, a engagement ring ( what a dumb puss ) anyway the good news is, the set still sits in his basement office, untouched 17 yrs later.

Wow! Great story timebandit. You're not a puss, man! You just found love(besides the drums), that's all! Nothin' wrong with that! But hearing about that set is cool! Is there any way that you can get the set back? Now THAT would be really cool! Thanks....Play on!

Well, like I said the kit still sits in my friends basement office.He did recently ask me if i wanted it back for the same amount I sold it to him for. $2000. I geuss for sentimental purposes it would be nice to have back. I only had the set for 4 yrs, he's had it for 17. & for 2-g's, I can get ahelluva kit, so for my money I think I'd go new. Besides, I told him if he ever had any seriuos offers to call me befor he sells it.

timebandit said:
Well, like I said the kit still sits in my friends basement office.He did recently ask me if i wanted it back for the same amount I sold it to him for. $2000. I geuss for sentimental purposes it would be nice to have back. I only had the set for 4 yrs, he's had it for 17. & for 2-g's, I can get ahelluva kit, so for my money I think I'd go new. Besides, I told him if he ever had any seriuos offers to call me befor he sells it.

Wow, timebandit. I can understand goin' new, but I agree, that same price you sold it to him for is really fair. For the sentimental purpose alone, to me, is definitely worth it. Great kit there, man! Thanks for posting this! Cool...Play On!

Hey Y'all. Anyone got the new DW R30 commemorative drumkit, yet? Or know of anyone who has? I'd love to hear how the kit is! May be too early to ask, but I'm really curious about this kit, and how it sounds. That is, of course, if anyone would play it that much to really get an accurate account of the sound quality. I guess someone will buy it to play it, but I would have one just to say I had one. Wouldn't wanna scratch it or damage it, IN ANY WAY. It's certaintly a collecters' item, to say the least. Thanks and Play On! ;-)

Hello! Anyone out there have a DW R30 commemerative kit? I posted 5 days ago to get a review of one, but have YET to get a response on this. Anybody care to chime in on this, please feel free. It's funny, there was SO MUCH talk and anticipation about this kit before it was available on October 30th. But there seems to be NO interest about it now. Maybe it's me making too much of it. Oh well. Thanks! Peace....Play On!

That is an absolutely beautiful kit. If I was a millionare I would have been on the waiting list already. One heck of an investment as well.

The official R30 tour "death toll" from page 393 of "Roadshow" by Neil Peart:

257 pairs of drumsticks

one 20" cymbal

three 18" cymbals

six 16" cymbals

two china cymbals

fifteen drumheads

That is an absolutely beautiful kit. If I was a millionare I would have been on the waiting list already. One heck of an investment as well.

Beautiful it is! Does it sound like it looks, though? That's what I'm tryin' to find out, if there's anyone out there who's got one. Or has, at least, played one. Maybe it's not to be played. I sure would be VERY hesitant to lay a lick on it. It may depreciate in value if it's played, huh? I don't quite have the fortune of those that wouldn't care either way. 30 grand's a pretty penny where I'm from. I'd stick with my Tama set to play, and keep this one in protective custody! Thanks Guinness and Play On!

Does anybody know why no one has posted a review on the DW R30 comemmerative kit here on this NP thread yet? Is it "no-big-deal" about how this kit looks and sounds in real life? Is there no DrummerWorld member that has any knowledge of this kit from a personal perspective? Or am I just making WAY too much of this? Please, someone say something about the kit, ie...How does it look, sound, set up? Was it difficult trying to buy? Did Guitar Center perform good service in the purchase of it? Etc... I would appreciate ANY information about this new kit. Thanks...Play On! ;-)

I don't know...but...

THis is supposed to be an exact replica....I highly doubt is. If I understand it right, Neil has VLT shells, does this? Plus, recently just got a GC Catalogue and the kit was the last thing on the back page and the logos on the toms doen't look right, and the "man in the star" is reversed from the Rush logo.......so.......

Has anyone purchased the new Rush Replay X3 DVD?

Three concerts from long ago.

Neil is a great, great drummer. Being a somewhat new drummer, I didn't really pay attention to him in the past.

I really believe that back in the 80s and early 90s he played fantastic. Noticably better than now. He also showed more emotion behind the kit back then.

Portnoy is the new Peart. However, I believe that he lacks some of the technical skills that Peart has. Peart is neater and cleaner. However, I feel Portnoy has a bit more feel or groove. And I am not bashing Portnoy. I really enjoy his playing as well.

Either way, I highly recommend the new DVD set. Great stuff.

Has anyone purchased the new Rush Replay X3 DVD?

Three concerts from long ago.

Neil is a great, great drummer. Being a somewhat new drummer, I didn't really pay attention to him in the past.

I really believe that back in the 80s and early 90s he played fantastic. Noticably better than now. He also showed more emotion behind the kit back then.

Portnoy is the new Peart. However, I believe that he lacks some of the technical skills that Peart has. Peart is neater and cleaner. However, I feel Portnoy has a bit more feel or groove. And I am not bashing Portnoy. I really enjoy his playing as well.

Either way, I highly recommend the new DVD set. Great stuff.

I have it. Its not bad for what it is. I had R30 and I have Rush in Rio. Rush in Rio is my favorite of all of them. You have to keep in find that Rush in Rio was I think in 2003 when Neil was 51 years old, compared to the early stuff being in his mid to late twenties. He started in Rush in 1975 at 23 years old. My guess is that after 30 years its hard to stay at the same physical level decade, after decade after decade.
Portnoy is not "New" though. He is great at what he does. He has odd times mastered. And when he plays he seems to do everything so effortlessly.

IMO, Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time, both on a technical level, as well as a creative level.

Also, he has influeneced more people than any other drummer in history.

Now, I will say that he has lost some of his "perfection" over the years, and his creativity is starting to dwindle. I honestly think hes more into the writing of books, and motorcycling than Rush itself. Hell, after 30+ years somethings gotta give.

Now, lets take the drummers that the "kids" all love today, such as Travis Barker, Chris Adler Etc. When they reach the age of Neil Peart "55", I wonder how good they will be?? Because at 55, Neil Peart can still kick ass, and has forgotten more than the Barkers and such will ever know.

Neil is the Proffessor, and is the reason I wanted to become a drummer.

Subdivisions has got to be the best song to play along with, ever!!!!!!!!

IMO, Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time, both on a technical level, as well as a creative level.

Also, he has influeneced more people than any other drummer in history.

Now, I will say that he has lost some of his "perfection" over the years, and his creativity is starting to dwindle. I honestly think hes more into the writing of books, and motorcycling than Rush itself. Hell, after 30+ years somethings gotta give.

Now, lets take the drummers that the "kids" all love today, such as Travis Barker, Chris Adler Etc. When they reach the age of Neil Peart "55", I wonder how good they will be?? Because at 55, Neil Peart can still kick ass, and has forgotten more than the Barkers and such will ever know.

Neil is the Proffessor, and is the reason I wanted to become a drummer.

Subdivisions has got to be the best song to play along with, ever!!!!!!!!

Hey Dr. Hook. How are ya? Wow. I can really appreciate your passion for Neil Peart, as I am also a HUGE fan of his. But let me put it in perspective what you say here. A little more of a realistic take on NP:

1.) No. He's not the "greatest" of all time. Neither technically or creatively. Great as he is, that would certaintly be more describing Buddy Rich.

2.)No. He hasn't influenced more than Buddy or Bonham. Though he definitely has influenced many, many drummers. Me included.

3.)No. He hasn't lost "perfection" over the years. Don't confuse adaption with ability. And his creativity has changed, not lessened. I believe his family comes first, especially after what happened to him about 10 years ago(loss of his daughter and wife in less than a year). And his music is 2nd on his list of importance. It IS his bread and butter, ya know. His drumming and his song writing. As far as "somethings gotta give"... well... He still gives 100% of himself in whatever he is involved in. And soon you'll be seeing him in the movies, also. So stay tuned...

4.)Let's not compare Neil to the drummers of today. Adler and Barker are very accomplished in what they do with their style and ability. They are different in almost every way than NP. And, by the way, not that it's a big deal, but Neil Peart is 54 yrs. old, not 55. He'll turn 55 yrs. old on Sept. 12, 2007.

5.)Yes. Neil Peart has definitely earned the title "The Professor". Perfect name for his ability at drumming and writing.

6.)Yes. Subdivisions is a fantastic song. One of my all-time-favorite Rush songs. But to say it's the best song to play along with ever...well, you may get some to disagree with you on that.

Anyway, it sounds like your a true NP fan, so that would make ME a Dr. Hook fan. Thanks for your post about NP... Play On!

Last edited:
Neil really inspired me. Along with Ginger Baker, and Bohman.. LOL first time I started to think about playing this instrument was OMG.... Dave Clark LOL

I really like how Neil plays and I really enjoy his teaching. Like the DVD's I have. I alway include some neil in my practice routines.

Mike

Back