The British or the Americans?

Going back to the orginal question: Who has CONTRIBUTED the most, then I'd say the British were instrumental [sic] in creating a lot of the popular music we have today.

America gave us Blues & Jazz but (putting jazz aside as it's not a genre I have much knowledge about) we took that and came up with:
Britpop, Merseybeat, etc (Beatles, etc)
Heavy Rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath)
Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc)
Black Metal (Venom) which the Norwegians took and made it theirs.
Punk Rock (Sex Pistols, etc)
Grindcore (Napalm Death, Carcass)
Electronica, Techno, Rave, whatever (yeah, like I know)

America took these and expanded/refined them giving us:
Hardcore Punk (Black Flag, Misfits, etc)
Thrash Metal (Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Megadeth, etc)
Death Metal (Death, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, etc)
Rap Metal (Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit) (Curse you Anthrax for starting this)
Whiny Teen Punk (Green Day, etc)
Nu Metal (Korn, etc)

So looking at that, in the rock/metal genres, we're both about even. It's all one big circle of influences thanks mostly to the tape-trading of the early '80s and now the internet culture of today.

I think there is no doubt that the British Invasion was preceded (and heavily influenced by) Blues, Jazz and Rockabilly, all created in the United States. That said, my iPod is utterly DOMINATED by British rock acts.

Actually, no, that's not it. Do you want to hear the real answer to this question?

Really?

I'll tell you.

It was me!

Going back to the orginal question: Who has CONTRIBUTED the most, then I'd say the British were instrumental [sic] in creating a lot of the popular music we have today.

America gave us Blues & Jazz but (putting jazz aside as it's not a genre I have much knowledge about) we took that and came up with:
Britpop, Merseybeat, etc (Beatles, etc)
Heavy Rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath)
Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc)
Black Metal (Venom) which the Norwegians took and made it theirs.
Punk Rock (Sex Pistols, etc)
Grindcore (Napalm Death, Carcass)
Electronica, Techno, Rave, whatever (yeah, like I know)

America took these and expanded/refined them giving us:
Hardcore Punk (Black Flag, Misfits, etc)
Thrash Metal (Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Megadeth, etc)
Death Metal (Death, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, etc)
Rap Metal (Rage Against The Machine, Limp Bizkit) (Curse you Anthrax for starting this)
Whiny Teen Punk (Green Day, etc)
Nu Metal (Korn, etc)

So looking at that, in the rock/metal genres, we're both about even. It's all one big circle of influences thanks mostly to the tape-trading of the early '80s and now the internet culture of today.

No way! Punk Rock came from America. Detroit and NY to be specific. Look up Iggy and the Stooges, MC5 and the Ramones. And Techno is Detroit while House is Chicago.

I will agree that Britpop came from Britain though.

Surely the real question should be Africans or Americans?

When British musicians sing, they sound American, but American musicians don't sound British. America Rocks, end of story.

When British musicians sing, they sound American, but American musicians don't sound British. America Rocks, end of story.

Utter twaddle, sir. I'd concede that it's an easy trap for many of the less experienced/talented British singers to fall into.

Utter twaddle, sir. I'd concede that it's an easy trap for many of the less experienced/talented British singers to fall into.

I admit I was being a little tongue in cheek. I don't actually feel that way, I was just being snarky. We are all from Planet Earth with the same basic human emotions, and one country or another has no claim to be superior musically. Except America. Kidding, lighten up!

Actually, and I really feel this way, music from the people and culture of Africa are at the root of almost all popular music in America. (Can't speak about Britain) Blues, Jazz, Gospel...all came from the people of African descent. Out of that grew swing, big band, rock and roll, which spauned punk and metal. With the exception of country I'd say that music originating from the African race is more widespread than any other source, at least where I live.

Too me there are too many greats on either side to draw a conclusion such as this...for me growing up through the 60's and 70's we had greats from both sides and I loved them ALL there was never an American vs British mentality for me and I am still the same.

Too me there are too many greats on either side to draw a conclusion such as this...for me growing up through the 60's and 70's we had greats from both sides and I loved them ALL there was never an American vs British mentality for me and I am still the same.

HERE.... .......HERE...... .....

What does this mean?

This:
Actually, and I really feel this way, music from the people and culture of Africa are at the root of almost all popular music in America. (Can't speak about Britain) Blues, Jazz, Gospel...all came from the people of African descent. Out of that grew swing, big band, rock and roll, which spauned punk and metal. With the exception of country I'd say that music originating from the African race is more widespread than any other source, at least where I live.

That may be true but they were not playing blues or Jazz in Africa, it's an American thing but I guess if you want to get down to race then yes it was Black people from africa but the style was not invented till they came here and put a whole new spin on music.

Britain used the same roots to spawn their music.

I'm going to go with the Brits - mainly because they have provided us with many many amazing bands over the years - and also have cultivated many of our American artists - Jimi being one of the more well-known.

How has this thread reached two pages without a single mention of DAVID BOWIE?!?!?! His stamp is all over every band coming out these days (or so it seems) - but of course I say "his stamp" when it's REALLY my man PETER HAMMILL (FTW!) - who Bowie admitted to copying in his youth - "He was my biggest influence"

If anyone here thinks prog didn't start with Van der graaf Generator...I am sorry...

Even today -many young American bands are sending their EPs out to British music mags - hoping they like them - because if the Brit kids love it - it will come back to that band over here: Break out there and you're good to go here.

And all of the AC/DC blather reminded me of my favorite joke from my waiting-table days:

What's the difference between an Australian and a canoe?

A canoe tips sometimes.

Yeah that's right. A big Flight-of-the-Conchords middle-finger salute to all the Aussies I ever had to wait on...

I'd say, all in all, it's been a beautiful symbiotic relationship, with each one influencing the other. And don't forget, both sides of the Atlantic have also drawn from world music styles as well, such as eastern and african music.

It might be fun and instructive to debate this stuff but it becomes pointless when you insist on there being a final answer.

The great thing about music (and most musicians) is that it's universal, not nationalistic. Good musicians are more interested in the music itself than where it comes from. It's a cross-pollination kind of thing, everyone influencing everyone else. You hear something new and original, interpret it in your own way, rework it to fit into your own style, then go out and PLAY it. Other musicians hear you and repeat the process with their own interpretation and style. On and on...

Musicians are probably some of the most open-minded people on the planet! At least when it comes to music.

Back