I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

I was able to hold the Tune Bot right above the head where the kick drum lugs were, and get a consistent reading. I got myself the 2 year plan. Heck, $16 isn't anything these days.

Hey Embalmer,

Does the device have to touch the bass drum head?

This thing's pretty cool. I was thinking of picking up a small keyboard to tune my drums but this could work...

Hey Embalmer,

Does the device have to touch the bass drum head?

This thing's pretty cool. I was thinking of picking up a small keyboard to tune my drums but this could work...

Nope. I just hold it by the clip two inches over the head at the hoop and strike the head with a stick to get the pitch. Simple.

Nope. I just hold it by the clip two inches over the head at the hoop and strike the head with a stick to get the pitch. Simple.

I would need three hands to do that. One to hold Tune-Bot, one to hold the stick hitting the drum and one to turn the drum key to fine tune the tension rod getting the head in-tune with itself.

Dennis

I must admit, after seeing that video, I'm impressed. It may be especially useful if I want to put up some drum comparison videos later this year (i.e. a number of drums all tuned exactly the same). I regard myself as a competent tuner, but there's aspects of this product that I like. For example, the ability to tune in a noisy environment.

I've avoided the drum dial stuff, frankly, because I'm faster & my ears are more accurate than the product.

Think I might just get one of these Tune Bot things though :)

Went through the whole demo at the NAMM show, the darn thing really works and they figured a way electronically to average the sonic wave pattern from each strike of the drum. I'm pretty darn good at pitch tuning and check against a .mp3 file of e-drums to see where I'm at. This device is going to enable me to get my toms dead on pitch. As Florian pointed out, you can tune them close and then dial them in perfectly with this thing. I should have mine in a week or so.

clip it on your drum hoop - anywhere - power it up and start tappin lugs. Its that easy. I tuned another 6 snares in about 15 minutes this eve.

F

clip it on your drum hoop - anywhere - power it up and start tappin lugs. Its that easy. I tuned another 6 snares in about 15 minutes this eve.

F

Did you find any of the "suggested" starting points helpful? I see where they have posted some but I am wondering if they are useful or not for a beginning tuner who might not know what to listen for.

Did you find any of the "suggested" starting points helpful? I see where they have posted some but I am wondering if they are useful or not for a beginning tuner who might not know what to listen for.

Everything suggested was tuned too high for my tastes. I like to tune just above wrinkle, and the toms were too much for me. Plus, I like my batter and reso to be the same pitch, and I believe their suggestions have the reso higher.

Everything suggested was tuned too high for my tastes. I like to tune just above wrinkle, and the toms were too much for me. Plus, I like my batter and reso to be the same pitch, and I believe their suggestions have the reso higher.

I guess they figured on average "good" starting points. Every drum has its own personality and fundamental where it sings. I'm looking forward to getting mine. I think it will have an overall good success rating. If you know how to tune it's going to help get the pitch perfect and if you don't; it should get you much better results than anything else on the current market. That's my take on it anyway.

Went through the whole demo at the NAMM show, the darn thing really works and they figured a way electronically to average the sonic wave pattern from each strike of the drum. I'm pretty darn good at pitch tuning and check against a .mp3 file of e-drums to see where I'm at. This device is going to enable me to get my toms dead on pitch. As Florian pointed out, you can tune them close and then dial them in perfectly with this thing. I should have mine in a week or so.
Please let me know what you think when yours arrives. There's probably a couple of weeks wait before they're available here, so that gives me more time to canvass informed opinion.

It seems that Absolute Music in the UK have sold out of their initial order (according to the TuneBot facebook page). Damnit! Their first batch is expected for the end of April, so I am unsure when the next set will be hitting stores.

Anyone know of anywhere else or any more up to date info?

For the lucky ones who already own one: which frequencies (or notes) do you have for your snare drum(s)?

This looks and sounds like a very promising product.
They should be bundled with drumsets.

How to tune a tom.

Seat the head.
Equalize tension at JAW.
Then;
1/2 turn on each batter rod.
3/4 turn on each reso rod.
Tap at each lug and find the one with the lowest pitch and bring it up to match the others.
You are done! Go and play your drums.

Why is this such a big deal for everyone?

I want numbers. Precision numbers. I don't need this product, but I want it anyway. It appeals to the scientist in me. Plus tuning a drum to a pure note...it looks pretty easy to do with this product.

How to tune a tom.

Seat the head.
Equalize tension at JAW.
Then;
1/2 turn on each batter rod.
3/4 turn on each reso rod.
Tap at each lug and find the one with the lowest pitch and bring it up to match the others.
You are done! Go and play your drums.

brother I agree 100%. this is what we have all done. guitar players bass players and just about every other instruments have some way of tuning perfectly, except on acoustic drum. I'm very happy with my tuning abilities but this will help me get that pitch perfect. we still need to learn how to tune and what to listen for, there are no substitutes for that.

brother I agree 100%. this is what we have all done. guitar players bass players and just about every other instruments have some way of tuning perfectly, except on acoustic drum. I'm very happy with my tuning abilities but this will help me get that pitch perfect. we still need to learn how to tune and what to listen for, there are no substitutes for that.
I tune my bass drum the same way.
I have tried all kinds of tuning devices and ideas over the years and this is always what I come back to. It works every time.

Hmmm, I'm interested, it's supposed to be at Guitar Center, but on their website it says 'no item found' ?

More than likely:

It's a brand new product from a new manufacture they recently discovered, so it may not be built into the website yet. A lot of new products come out in January, and it can take a while to get everything up.

As a brand new product from a new manufacturer, the initial order may be a test run to see how it goes before they fully commit to stocking it full time on the web and in all the stores.

But I agree it is a bit odd that there is no mention of it anywhere on the site. Not even a "coming soon" listing.

I think what will make or break this product is recording engineers and roadies. i.e. people who deal with drums but aren't necessarily drummers.

The night before I saw this NAMM, I had dinner with a few recording engineers. As we were talking, one of them asked why there isn't a product that can really allow anyone to tune drums easily. Engineers who are not drummers are generally at the mercy of whatever gear the drummer brings in, which may or may not fit the job the engineer is expected to do (i.e. make a great sounding recording).

What impressed me if that it could get a reading from a drum in a noisy room. I think back to all the times I've been setting up for a gig, but I can't hear my drums well enough to tune because another band is sound checking, or the house engineer is putting the PA through it's paces, or whatever sound distractions are going on. For a roadie who deals with said stuff everyday, this could be a big help.

As for why? Well, any decent guitar player can tune by ear, but we still expect every pro to have a guitar tuner on them. If it's good for the goose, maybe it's good for the gander too. Well see how it pans out in the long run.

Back