Show Off Your DW Kit

SInce this particular kit doesn't leave the echo chamber of my basement, I tend to lean toward less boom and more control. But I really owe it to myself to hear what that thing does un pillowed.

Real nice kit! Congrats! If I had to do it all again though, I'd definitely would go with 24" bass drums for all kits, or even maybe 26". I know a lot of guys like those smaller bass drums at 20" but for me, to have a good mix of boom and thud, and the big sound I want, it's gotta be at least 24". I was sure I had found my bass drum sound when I bought my DWJazz kits with a 24" bass drum, I could recognize right there that there was a major difference in bass sounds between 22" and 24", with or without the pillow. Here's the kit right before a show in Montreal last October. Actually looking for a 26" right now, the brand new one at the mu-sick store is way too expensive at 1400$. Oh, and finally, the snare is a Dunnett Stainless, luvit!!

Attachments

• DSCF4542-3.jpg
    DSCF4542-3.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 2,474
Real nice kit! Congrats! If I had to do it all again though, I'd definitely would go with 24" bass drums for all kits, or even maybe 26". I know a lot of guys like those smaller bass drums at 20" but for me, to have a good mix of boom and thud, and the big sound I want, it's gotta be at least 24". I !
Big bass drums do sound pretty sick. I guess I just react to the playability of the 20". The sound comes off of it quick to my ear, and it is fun and inspiring to play.The VLX keeps it from being hi pitched and tunes lower than my previously owned 22" collectors. My 22" muddied up just enough that it wasn't as clear (drivers side). Playing out at a gig, miked the 20" sounds as big as needed so I have two DW kits with 20" bass drums.

Last edited:
Cool thread - coupla' things...
DW Bass drums - I'm with ill-X, I like the feel and punch of 20" kicks, but have to say that I've played the 23" and it's a monster! On paper it sounds like a gimmick, under your foot it sounds and feels incredible - it also allows easier tom placement.

DW Snares - I like VLT toms and bass drums, but I actually prefer the standard 10+6 snares. I like the punch of the re-rings and a little brightness helps me get some contrast to the toms and bass drum. That said, the VLT snares still sound great and provide lots of variety depending on taste.

Mrcoffee - It's always very cool to see a BIG Jazz Series kit :) These drums aren't just for jazz, they're great for any type of music. Oh yeah, I have a Dunnett Raw Steel 6.5x14 - great drum.

JimboJim, what's the finish on that snare? Consider installing a new Mag strainer on that drum! They are one of, if not the best throw-off I've ever used.

Here's a lo res pic of my little kit: 12-14-20 6x14 (22" Woofer not pictured) - Jazz Series in Curly Maple...

Attachments

• photo-14.JPG
    photo-14.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 2,325
JimboJim, what's the finish on that snare? Consider installing a new Mag strainer on that drum! They are one of, if not the best throw-off I've ever used.
Funny you'd mention; I bought one with the snare. I've also upgraded two of my other DWs to the mag; the Time Machine came with it. The 13" bronze won't take the 3P buttplate; the shell is curved too much.

DSC08160.jpg

QUOTE=JimboJim;930688]Funny you'd mention; I bought one with the snare. I've also upgraded two of my other DWs to the mag; the Time Machine came with it. The 13" bronze won't take the 3P buttplate; the shell is curved too much.

My 13" came with the 3P buttplate. They must make em special...

Attachments

• DSCN8833.jpg
    DSCN8833.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 2,387
QUOTE=JimboJim;930688]Funny you'd mention; I bought one with the snare. I've also upgraded two of my other DWs to the mag; the Time Machine came with it. The 13" bronze won't take the 3P buttplate; the shell is curved too much.

My 13" came with the 3P buttplate. They must make em special...
Man those are good looking snares. I'll have to email DW and see if I can get a chrome 3P buttplate for my 13".

Hey Jimbo and other DW owners. Just want to apologize if you guys have been upset by stuff I have said about the brand. Really all I have ever said was that they are very expensive drums, that have that maple sound. I just like to tease. I get my fair share on this site about my Mapex stuff, that is for sure. I have a 3500 dollar DW rack and hardware holding up my Monster kit. I bought it because it was the best looking rack out there, regardless of the price. I guess I should be more understanding, why you guys buy the drums you do. I have mentioned to many on this site that there DW drums look great. I will let up on the teasing, and let you guys enjoy your product. DW makes great drums. I never said they didn't. :)

Hey Jimbo and other DW owners. Just want to apologize if you guys have been upset by stuff I have said about the brand. Really all I have ever said was that they are very expensive drums, that have that maple sound. :)
No worries, so many kits sound great it is hard to defend how pricey DW's are. I prefer the DW sound about 5-10% more than some other brands I dig. It's hard to justify the cost on a new custom order unless you really are digging some specifics. Thankfully DW has been leveled out by the basic rules of economics. Custom order wait is only 2-3 months. You can get a new order @ 45% off list if you work it, and customer service is stellar from my 5 years of experience.
I am about to order a matching 8x7.5 VLT tom w/ re rings, and a sharp reso side bearing edge to enhance sustain (ESE). It's fun to get geeky and specific, DW caters to that so I am happy to be a customer.

Hey all, I have a question... did it ever happen to you that one your toms seem a tad big for all the heads you put on it? The ting is that I have this 12" DW Collectors tom that no head will sit well on... Evans or Remo... no head will sit flat... and it clearly affects the sound.

Comments?

Hey all, I have a question... did it ever happen to you that one your toms seem a tad big for all the heads you put on it? The ting is that I have this 12" DW Collectors tom that no head will sit well on... Evans or Remo... no head will sit flat... and it clearly affects the sound.

Comments?
Something is off on your edge. Send it to DW to have the edge checked and touched up. I had a friend and we couldn't get his collectors 12" to tune up no matter what we tried. So he sent it into DW it came back and it tuned like magic.

Something is off on your edge. Send it to DW to have the edge checked and touched up. I had a friend and we couldn't get his collectors 12" to tune up no matter what we tried. So he sent it into DW it came back and it tuned like magic.

Yeah, I was afraid of that... and with the backlog they now have, I won't see it for awhile.

But before, I should probably retry the head they had put on at first... seems it was bigger... could it be that Remo and Evans make tight head edges? Ans what about the angle they put in there (45degrees)... seems the crimped heads are squarer and it sits better... don't you think?
Thanks iX for your comment, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I was afraid of that... and with the backlog they now have, I won't see it for awhile.

But before, I should probably retry the head they had put on at first... seems it was bigger... could it be that Remo and Evans make tight head edges? Ans what about the angle they put in there (45degrees)... seems the crimped heads are squarer and it sits better... don't you think?
Thanks iX for your comment, I appreciate it.
Try it for sure. Crimped heads do seem to center easier. But from my experience all heads work on DW toms. I have owned 4 dw kits, so when my friend had a problem I knew it was some sort of issue. We made sure the bearing edges where nice and clean but the drum wouldn't tune with a nice smooth round tone. The tiniest fractions can throw off the drum. The kit at the time was 4 years old. He sent it to DW and got it back in 3 weeks.Crazy right?! They didn't charge him for return shipping, and they put new heads on it. They didn't explain what they did, it just came back tuning true.

Try it for sure. Crimped heads do seem to center easier. But from my experience all heads work on DW toms. I have owned 4 dw kits, so when my friend had a problem I knew it was some sort of issue. We made sure the bearing edges where nice and clean but the drum wouldn't tune with a nice smooth round tone. The tiniest fractions can throw off the drum. The kit at the time was 4 years old. He sent it to DW and got it back in 3 weeks.Crazy right?! They didn't charge him for return shipping, and they put new heads on it. They didn't explain what they did, it just came back tuning true.

Ok super, I will do that. Thank you iX!

Back