John Dolmayan

• Thread starter System_Of_A_Slipknot
  • Start date
Re: Jon Dolmayan

i like john's work on "sugar" from their debut album. very jazzy. by the way, does anyone else think the prison song is pretty damn hard to keep up with?

ewanlaing said:
i like john's work on "sugar" from their debut album. very jazzy. by the way, does anyone else think the prison song is pretty damn hard to keep up with?

Yeah, I like Sugar very much. A very great song.
And yes, I totally agree with you about the "prison song".

Re: john dolmayan of system of a down

Stu_Strib said:
I love the contrast of the two.

Yup, i agree.

And yeah, Dolmayan is a great drummer, his style fits SOAD perfectly.

I love System, but there old stuff is better than their new stuff. Even though their new stuff is more complicated musically, their old stuff is more catchy. John's a great drummer, but nothing mind boggling. Most of it's simple.

i do find some of their newer stuff i little hard to swallow at first yeah, but some mesmerise songs were very imnpressive.

John is a great drummer. one thing i notice about him is that he loves to use his hi-hat alot. I gotta say he's got great coordination, for BYOB listen to what he does in the chorus. His feet are doing totally differnt things . Then throw in his hands, pretty coordinated dude.

it was the song after that on the album that struck me for co-ordination. not sure of the title.

that would be revenga, I had an idea how he played then I saw them live, boy was i wrong. long story short i still cant do that damn ride bell part

Saw that dude live, and i thought he might have trouble following his studio versions live. I was very wrong, that guy nailed it all spot on, he was probably one the first drummers i admired to the point of motivation enough to get into drumming, back in the Nu Metal days of my youth.... lol oh lord.

I think that his style fits great with System of a Down, but I want to see him drumming by himself and see what he can really do.

I've only seen live video's of them, but from what i've seen, he's really good...

Howdy do,
I dig the new albums =P they're just developing their sound and the rest.
I was just reading browsing wikipedia, and the article on Dolmayan mentions he has a unique "hi-hat to snare combo" that can be heard on Deer Dance, IEAIA!O, and Question!.
Do any of you guys/gals know exactly what lick is being referred to?
Cheers.
Oh and the track She's Like Heroine is sweet. I'm not going to say either Daron or Serj is the "better" vocalist, but they both contribute really well to that tune. Check it out!

jp! said:
Oh and the track She's Like Heroine is sweet. I'm not going to say either Daron or Serj is the "better" vocalist, but they both contribute really well to that tune. Check it out!

Ugh. Heard it. Hated it. Burned a CD minus that track. That Daron guy just plain can't sing.

Well I can't speak much for his new stuff, I just won't waste my time on it. I can't even give the music a chance cuz of Daron Malakian's whine.... I'd much rather jam out to "Soil" from their first album, they had some real balls then.

But back on the discussion at hand, John is a very suitable member for the band. Somebody worth looking up to for new perspectives on the feel of a song.

I feel the same way about deron. I like some of there newer songs and when i looked at them they were all sung by serg! If you dont like deron i suggest checkin out This cociane makes me feel like im on this song, or revenga, but i think some of there better stuff was when it was heavier from toxicity and the first one

i am very impressed at his ability to incorporate many stlyes within the normally very constrictive genre of heavy metal. although a large amount of his stuff you could hear from many drummers, he seems to have a sort of swing to his playing, which is interesting in the context of soad.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOD and Slipknot uses the same drummer?????? (system of a slipknot is the title, so.,.I am hoping I am wrong)....

I have always thought of them as two different (one good, and one ....not to my liking....at all...in any way...by any strech of the word ) drummers.

I like what I hear from System of a Down, and sure, he is fast in slipknot, but fast is not always good. All he does is double pedal and around the toms (it gets really booring after the first couple of seconds). absolutely no imagination, nothing inovative, no nothing....(in my oppinion, I am sure a lot of people will like him...I mean no disrespect to them. This is my oppinion, and my taste only...and before anyone feels the need to kill me...I am no authority in music, so relax)

Ofcourse I am in no position to belitle anyone. I am sure he is better then me, but I would never listen to that...

Maybe I am too blinded by my dislike for slipknot But WOW, I would have never guessed....

I am trailing off on a sidetrack..but...wow...I am surprised. I would have never guessed from just listening to them.

no its not the same guy. that would be WEIRD though. imagine that. in fact, i never realised how many differences there were between the two.

Back