Easiest fix for a snare that wont keep tune??

Superferrite

I know there are special retrofit doohickies to keep my rods from detuning, but what are your favorite hacks?
Rubber washers? Lock washers? Boogers???

The snare in question is a 6-lug 1970 Slingerland that I don't want to permanently mod.
The rods closest to me only last about 2 songs before they're visibly slack.

Hello super iron. 6 lugs snares are not your friend for anything resembling a high tuning. Especially if you're cranking rim shots. It can be done, but you're better off with another snare. If you only have that snare to work with though, you could add the nylon things on the market. Lock nuts are anther option. The only realistic option is a snare that is not 6 lug.

The snare you have is probably nicer for a lower tuning, especially with 6 lugs.

There's loads of different lug locks out there if you love the snare too much not to use it.

Personally I'd get an 8 or a 10 lug snare which will tune better and will handle higher tuning tensions better.

If you're a Slingerland guys there's loads of great snares from the 70s that tick that box. They go cheap and under the radar.

If you have the money get a radioking snare

You know, I never suspected it was because it is a 6 lugger.
I have an 8 lug Gene Krupa and will just sub it out even if it isn't so matchy matchy with the kit.

Don't have the problem, but the quick fix would be tuner fish or something similar, I guess.

I prefer 10 lugs on my snares because I use a higher pitched snare at my gigs. The 2 rods don't really detune, but I'm not punishing it by any stretch. I always lose the plastic things that keep the rod from turning. The nuts on the threads are a PITA, because I change tunings throughout the night depending on my mood. Anymore, I just tighten the offending rods up if they loosen. With a 10 lug snare pitched higher, detuning is almost non existent unless you're a gorilla.

Of course if you like low tunings and are a hard hitter, any snare will detune.

I know there are special retrofit doohickies to keep my rods from detuning, but what are your favorite hacks?
Rubber washers? Lock washers? Boogers???

The snare in question is a 6-lug 1970 Slingerland that I don't want to permanently mod.
The rods closest to me only last about 2 songs before they're visibly slack.

Gauger Percussion makes a product called Lockerz that fit around your tension rods. There's another company that make one you put the rod through & tighten the 2 locking screws that also come recommended.
As you don't want to give up the use of your 6 lugger, I'd go this route. That way you can still play on what you know and love.

12-24 nuts locked up against the top of the lug inserts. Rods never move EVER. Works wat better than LugLocks. Just got to be careful not to overtighten or it will strip the threads on the tension rods. A nylon washer between tbe nut and then insert addresses that though.

Easiest? Sell it. Tune it up nice whenever you're about to get rid of it. ;)

Back