Forgetting concerts

The Bassist

This thought has been on my mind for a while, but when listening to a song today from a band I saw live with my friend/guitarist, I asked him if they played that song live, and was reminded of this. It took several minutes before either of us could come up with an answer, and we still had doubts. What I find is, after a concert or even a gig, I have trouble recalling anything that occurred during that time. I can remember clearly right before any music was being played, as well as the ride back home, but the shows themselves are just a blur a few days later.
I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this, or if it's just me and my friend. It does really bother me, because the only thing I remember from any of them (Thrice, Opeth two times, Porcupine Tree...) is that I enjoyed the shows... I just don't remember what happened!

I can't say that that is true with me.
I can still remember the first concert that I went to very well.
It was Emerson Lake and Palmer at Yale Bowl in 1973.
I can also remember every concert afterwards that I have attended.
I guess that I didn't party enough! LOL
I can't remember what I had for lunch today, But I can remember musical events that I have attended. I also recall my gigs very well.
I never listen to recordings of my gigs and say to myself, "Did I play that?"
Good, Bad, I recall it all.

Sounds like maybe there was chemical memory impedance? LOL If not, I can't say for sure. I remember concerts pretty well. Gigs, not always - I've played some of the songs hundreds if not thousands of times, and I can't always remember if we played a certain song. I do remember the mood of the evening, though!

Just a thought - take a notepad and write down the setlist. I've done this at quite a lot of Rush and Grateful Dead shows. It helps you pay attention, if nothing else...

Some concerts are so traumatic I block them out to forget the pain. Maybe these concerts weren't worth remembering? There's alot of that going around these days....

The thread title made me think this was about forgetting about a gig you were supposed to play.

Only happened to me once. Yeah, how do you forget a gig?

Anyways, I'm with you in that I don't remember details like what songs were played or sometimes who opened or where it was, but I can put myself back at the show in my mind and remember how I felt / the vibe.

It's easy to become immersed in the performance so that your conscious mind is held captive during that time. You're not really in a fog, it's just a different perception while the music's going on. As long as you remember actually seeing that group, you're doing fine.

Bermuda

Music has the ability to make us transcend our perception of reality--a way of taking us out of the here and now for a moment. If the band is happening, the effect is more intoxicating. Moreover, when the band that YOU are playing in is really in that zone, it's the best feeling in the world...

Some concerts are so traumatic I block them out to forget the pain. Maybe these concerts weren't worth remembering? There's alot of that going around these days....

That could be the case for Thrice, but Opeth and PT? Definitely not! ;)

/ducks

I've never been one to walk out an recall the set list in order.

As Bremuda said, sometimes you get so immersed in the performance everything else gets fuzzy.

It doesn't help that I've seen a ton of concerts, and if I can, I'll see the same band multiple nights (benefit of living in So. Cal). So the details of what happened at which show gets confusing.

The thread title made me think this was about forgetting about a gig you were supposed to play.

Only happened to me once. Yeah, how do you forget a gig?

Anyways, I'm with you in that I don't remember details like what songs were played or sometimes who opened or where it was, but I can put myself back at the show in my mind and remember how I felt / the vibe.

Yes, that's what I mean. I remember being there. I remember enjoying the show. I remember getting elbowed in the back of the head by my friend on accident (hm....) and even the sketchy, skinny old guy that talked to everyone he saw. But the songs, the band members... no. The only thing I can recall clearly about the band Thrice, for example, would be Eddie's sweat pouring over his bass. As for the other band members, I can't even remember seeing their faces. Teppei, when trying to think back on it, seemed like he was miles away from me for some reason.

As for forgetting a gig, it's like after the gig, I don't even feel like I've played. I can't remember the sets or anything, although I do record every show. When thinking back to a gig, all I can remember is seeing my drum kit... can't remember seeing my own band members, and when thinking about what the crowd looked like, my memory replaces them with a white light... bizarre, right?

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone on this!

As for forgetting a gig, it's like after the gig, I don't even feel like I've played. I can't remember the sets or anything, although I do record every show. When thinking back to a gig, all I can remember is seeing my drum kit... can't remember seeing my own band members, and when thinking about what the crowd looked like, my memory replaces them with a white light... bizarre, right?

I think I may have been misunderstood... not that after the show I forgot it - it's that I was sitting at home on a Saturday evening when all the sudden it hit me - I've got a gig tonight! Mad rush to get the kit in the car, talk my way out of a speeding ticket I should have got and set up my kit while the band was playing, you know, that kind of "forgot the gig".

I tend to pay an unhealthy amount of attention at gigs, so I don't tend to forget what's going on. I almost wish I could a bit more, I'm not so good at immersion at the moment.

I can still remember some details about the Live Aid concert in Philadelphia in 1985. Like when Madonna took the stage and everyone shouted "take it off" (she had just done some centerfold spread, I believe).

That being said, I don't remember that much detail of concerts from yore, so I can understand if one loses themselves in the moment of enjoying a concert and doesn't concentrate on songs, bandmembers, etc. Speaking of enjoying performances, I remember seeing Huey Lewis and the News in the mid-80's, and being totally impressed by the lead guiarists playing some incredible riffs and solos, especially for a band that was known for pop music. And then I saw Britney Spears in concert about 7-8 years ago (don't hassle me about this, I was helping watch my niece and her friends, as the concert was her birthday party). What I remember about it was during one of Britney's costume changes, this young drummer ripped out an awesome 5-minute drum solo. The rest was forgettable. :)

Back