Biggest Snare Drum?

12x15 marching snares, and the 10x16 Ballad snare are the biggest I've seen.

I've seen people use a 10x14 as a main snare, and someone I know has a 10x15 as a "main" on a lot of his bands tunes.

Wow. A 10x16? And this from a company that hyped 23" bass drums too.

What did Don Henley use on those Eagle's songs? That's what I'd get for a ballad snare drum. I bet it won't be 16" either.

If you could get a 10x16 snare, wouldn't it be easier just to take a 16" floor tom, cut a snare bed, and put snares on it? Then you can go even lower....

I'm sure I saw a custom 20" snare, maybe Craviotto, I don't know. I've been trying to find the sound clip ever since.

Pearl makes a 16x16 snare.

I couldn't imagine going any bigger than a 14x10, at least for drumset use, anyway.

Attachments

• 598691.jpg
    598691.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,258
I am currently using a 1980's Pearl 14x12 USA maple shell snare. I got it cheap on the CL and put on a Pearl Dennis Chambers throw off and 2 brand new 12lug triple flanged hoops (talk about hard to find had to go to Hollywood Pro Drumshop and I'm in AZ!) and a 42 strand strainer. It's sweet!!! if i lower most stands as low as they can go it's right where I play my 14x8 at. It's not for everything but perfect for a loud doom band.

That 16x16 is making me drool! I need to stop being addicted to enormous drums.

Craviotto made a 20" snare for Matt Chamberlin a few years ago

That's the one I was trying to remember, though I thought maybe it was for Jeromy Dupree(?). There was a sound file for it, anybody have the link? Did it have wood hoops?
EDIT: Jerome Dupree's a Tempus guy.

Last edited:
Back