Ambassador: two weeks and no hole in the coating!?

Could it be a regional issue? Something affecting the chemistry of the Remo heads unique to that region (because I'm not silly enough to believe that Remo would just pick a destination for all of its defective heads)?

It's really strange for me to hear all of this when I've never once had an issue with Remo, even when the heads are 20+ years old. Granted, I don't go through a lot of heads. I've probably only had maybe a dozen or so go through my hands if you don't count heads on other people's kits... and I don't recall any issues with any of those that I've seen either.

In fact, I've never personally met anyone who has had issues with Remo. It has to be a regionally localized problem.

I don't have an axe to grind with Remo, but the coated heads chip away after a few hours of playing. That's not to say that all the coating comes off, but it comes off on the impact area where the sticks land the most.

By contrast, the Evans coated heads don't chip at all after months of playing. Same drums, same set up, same sticks, same songs, and same technique.

YMMV

I don't have an axe to grind with Remo, but the coated heads chip away after a few hours of playing. That's not to say that all the coating comes off, but it comes off on the impact area where the sticks land the most.

By contrast, the Evans coated heads don't chip at all after months of playing. Same drums, same set up, same sticks, same songs, and same technique.

YMMV

I haven't had these same experiences. Evans and Remos sound practically the same, and I haven't noticed a difference in the chipping factor. The coating on the Remo Diplomats, however, wears down pretty quickly when you use brushes...

Man, I don't think we'll ever find out for sure will we?!

I think I prefer the sound of Remo anyway...but maybe it's just a random selection of heads that have dodgy coating. I mean, the first Ambassadors I bought lasted YEARS, and only just before I replaced them, the 10" started to chip really slightly, but we're talking after months and months of playing, going through all sorts of tunings and levels of hitting. THEN, the second set of Ambassadors I purchased, like I mentioned in my last post, started chipping almost immediately...Only seems to be the 10" though.

It's so weird.

I have been using Evans G2 on my toms for almost two years now, that's 2 sets of heads and they do get smooth but no rubbish on the floor or clear head showing thru. I mostly use Regal Tip nylon but have used wood tips also. All of my snare heads are Genera coated and I have not had one problem. In defense of the others if you are just banging on the heads and not abusing them with bad sticks there should be no problems. I will stay with Evans for this very reason. Why switch and take a chance. Maybe we can send this to Mythbusters

That's what I believe too. I guess it's just hard for someone to point the finger at themselves, its easier to blame the company. So for some, another company may provide more durablity in their opinion (beyond what it should be) but sacrifices tone, and they are happy with that, I guess. But one day, when they return they will realize that the head wasn't to blame all along.

Yes/NO, some folks can never face the fact that fault may have been on their side...they may just believe (if they do in fact return) that the "company" has fixed their issues and the product is "BETTER".

I have been using Evans G2 on my toms for almost two years now, that's 2 sets of heads and they do get smooth but no rubbish on the floor or clear head showing thru. I mostly use Regal Tip nylon but have used wood tips also. All of my snare heads are Genera coated and I have not had one problem. In defense of the others if you are just banging on the heads and not abusing them with bad sticks there should be no problems. I will stay with Evans for this very reason. Why switch and take a chance. Maybe we can send this to Mythbusters

That is one way of getting drummer attention...Mythbusters!

Yes/NO, some folks can never face the fact that fault may have been on their side...they may just believe (if they do in fact return) that the "company" has fixed their issues and the product is "BETTER".
What about the people who have played Remo, had flaking, went to Evans, had no flaking, went back to Remo, had flaking again? Same hands, same sticks, same technique, different heads, different results.

Could it be that one company actually has <gasp!> higher quality coating than the other?

YMMV

I had this problem a couple years ago with Remo and gave up on the coated heads. Last summer I bought some coated ambs and noticed the box was different...and the coating was a slightly darker, different shade. I thought, "hmm...maybe they fixed it?". I beat on those heads for 6 mo. and the coating never came off. Every coated amb I've put on a snare in the last year has been solid, too.

I think they listened.

What about the people who have played Remo, had flaking, went to Evans, had no flaking, went back to Remo, had flaking again? Same hands, same sticks, same technique, different heads, different results.

Well said.

This has been my experience. I change heads often. About every six months. I have Ambassadors on several snares and Evans heads on several others. The coating starts chipping away on the Remo heads, but not on the Evans heads.

I mounted Vintage As on my toms and had the same experience. No problem with G2s.
One of the vintage As was dead as a door nail and wouldn't tune up. I returned the head and got a good one, but I'm just too busy to deal with crap like this.

Remo seems to be hit or miss. For my money I'd rather spend it on heads that have a solid track record based on my personal experience.

I like the sound of Remo heads, but the Evans sound good too, and are hassle free.

I'm just tired of having gear issues so I use what serves me well.

AAYMMV

I've been using coated Ambs for decades and never had the coating wear prematurely.

Some drummers: Remo's coating wears off in 15 minutes.
Other drummers: Remo's coating never wears off prematurely.

There's a logical conclusion to be drawn here, I'll let everyone arrive at it themselves. (Hint: it ain't luck.)

This drummer: Ambassador's coating lasts for weeks.
Emperor's coating on snare comes off in minutes. Emperor coating on toms, weeks. Different lots? Who knows.

I'd say you do get holes in the coating, but the head beneath is white instead of transparent, so it seems like it just got smooth.

Is this whole discussion about the coating flaking off or the head becoming smooth(er), where the stick hits it?
If it is about flaking, it has never happened to me.

Doesn't effect the sound. Its just cosmetic.

Just hit the things and stop staring at them.

Back