snare drum head

Drumrguy67

Hey guys i'm just looking for a snare drum head, do you guys have any suggestions. i wanna stick with remo but if you guys found something better with evans or aqaurian then i'd like to know. i also have a small price range as well so the cheaper the better

Remo, Evans, and Aquarian are all reputable and make great heads. I've never really explored Aquarian heads but that's got more to do with laziness and that I always like what I get from Evans and Remo.

The more pressing question for you is what are you looking for in a head? Dry vs. resonant, coated vs. clear, etc ... ??

I like more than one type of head, but they're always coated. Single ply 10 mil heads like a Remo Ambassador (or Evans G1) are industry standard. Not far behind in popularity is the 2-ply Remo Emperor (or Evans G2) at 14 mil. You really can't go wrong with either of those.

There are a few variations on those like the single-ply in a 12 mil and 14 mil thicknesses for added durability, or 10-ply with a dot, either on top or underneath for dampening and durability, as well as various pre-dampened heads, usually referred to as "dry". I usually avoid those since I can add moongel or tape to dampen a head if I want that (which is pretty much never), but there's nothing you can do to undampen a predampened head.

Personally, I like 12 mil single ply (Ambassador X) or 2 ply Emperors or G2s. I never really know what I'm going to decide on when I head into a drum shop and usually end up flipping a coin.

Back