bass pedal is hard to use on my own set

drummermatt93

i do not know why but when i use my bass pedal on other drum sets rather than mine, it feels easier to use and easier to do two bass drum hits really fast like the bonham beat....but when i use my pedal on my set it seems like its a struggle to use effectively ...im thinking that its my bass drum thats the problem but i do not know what i should do..its bringing my playing down to a lower level than what i could be at....any suggestions?

Try adjusting your bass drum head tension. Your head may be looser or tighter than the other heads.

Other culprits might be size of your drum and what angle you have the drum at (flat on ground, steeply angled, etc.) But head tension is the likely reason, agreed.

idk...i just spent some time tightening and loosening my bass drum and playing after i made each change and it still feels like shit......should i take the blanket out thats inside the drum?... i really dont know what to do and its really starting to piss me off....i brought my pedal into school and used the school drum set and it felt perfect but i cant even make it feel fine on my own set and it sucks... :(

How old is your batter head?
I know for me when I switched my batter head to a brand new one (in my case it was an older PS3 I went with my favorite SK2 Aquarian) it made all the difference.
Try the head tensioning thing before you go out and spend money but I know I had the same issue and got a new head.. Problem solved.

i do not know why but when i use my bass pedal on other drum sets rather than mine, it feels easier to use and easier to do two bass drum hits really fast like the bonham beat....but when i use my pedal on my set it seems like its a struggle to use effectively ...im thinking that its my bass drum thats the problem but i do not know what i should do..its bringing my playing down to a lower level than what i could be at....any suggestions?

One thing you may want to try is adjusting the tilt of your bass drum, this has been responsible for exactly the same problem that I have had. It could be possible that your bass drum is angled too high or too low, the latter is usually the explanation as you have to work much harder for a stroke.

Try re-angling your bass drum.

Back