RUSH - Beyond the Lighted Stage

J

Jeff Gordon #24

Anyone catch this on VH1 last night?

It's REALLY well done! I missed it on the big screen, but I caught it last night, and ordered the DVD, which comes out this Tuesday.

I HIGHLY recommend it, especially to all the Rush fans out there who...get it!

I saw it last night! Although I missed bits and pieces, and a good chunk of the ending as I was getting the kids ready for bed.

I already have the DVD on order.

Brilliant work! I can't wait to see the bonus extras that come with the DVD.

My only "complaint" was how they would discuss some albums at length, and other albums were barely mentioned. But then again, it's already 3 hours long, I suppose something had to be edited out. It could easily have been a 6 hour movie.

I also noticed a few discrepancies between info given the movie and past interviews.

It's always been widely told that John Rusty quit Rush on his own accord citing his health issues and lack on interest in touring, but in the movie he is asked to leave due to his health issues. The why is still the same,but the how it happened is a bit different.

Also Neil Peart has always said in past interviews "La Villa Strangiato" was indeed recorded all as one piece, while in the move Geddy says they attempted to record "La Villa Strangiato" in one take, but eventually recorded it in three parts. Although I suppose it's possible the drums were all in one take and the guitars/bass/keyboards were done one 3 parts.

I can't wait to watch it again without any distractions!

Yes, I liked it. It not only gave the history of the band but showed how they changed with the currents of the music business. Interesting.

It still baffles me that they are no in the RRHOF but maybe not being in there is its own award. I thought the documentary was really good. Didn't gush too much on any one band and paid a lot of respect to the fans. It you have not read Ghost Rider by Neal Peart, it is very worthwhile IMHO.

Yes, I recorded it and made my family watch it with me. They all really enjoyed it and my boy now has a whole new respect for this band.

As someone who's been following the band since the 80s and grew up with their music, I have to say I was pretty much in 7th heaven watching the movie last night. I will be in line to buy it on Tuesday come rain or shine.

Yes, I saw it, and I have to say that it's about dam time that the group is finally been given their due to some time in the main stream media monopoly. Does anybody remember that Colbert show a couple of years ago, (which the discussion was mentioned on this show) was on where Colbert mentioned that this was their (Rush's) first appearance on mainline T.V. in a LONG time? WTF? And why is it that Rush is not in the Rock and Roll Hall yet? Along with Yes also? Frickin Madonna is in there, right. Now watch the money grubbing bastards jump on the Rush band wagon now that it seems that the media and promoters have finally woken up to what this timeless band has accomplished over 3 decades. I predict that they are in the Hall at years end, or whenever their induction period begins. I hope that the guys decline induction just to throw it back at the money grubbers. And why in the hell is it in Cleveland anyway?!? Oh well, I just fell off of my soap box. Cheers.

Yes, I saw it, and I have to say that it's about dam time that the group is finally been given their due to some time in the main stream media monopoly. Does anybody remember that Colbert show a couple of years ago, (which the discussion was mentioned on this show) was on where Colbert mentioned that this was their (Rush's) first appearance on mainline T.V. in a LONG time? WTF? And why is it that Rush is not in the Rock and Roll Hall yet? Along with Yes also? Frickin Madonna is in there, right. Now watch the money grubbing bastards jump on the Rush band wagon now that it seems that the media and promoters have finally woken up to what this timeless band has accomplished over 3 decades. I predict that they are in the Hall at years end, or whenever their induction period begins. I hope that the guys decline induction just to throw it back at the money grubbers. And why in the hell is it in Cleveland anyway?!? Oh well, I just fell off of my soap box. Cheers.

So true, Wolvie56! And not only that, Cleveland was where the radio station was that played "Working Man" on the air for the 1st time in America, back in '75.

How 'bout that for irony?!

Though, you may not be aware but, they were just given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Which is pretty cool in itself.

That'll show them knuckleheads @ the R&RHoF!

So true, Wolvie56! And not only that, Cleveland was where the radio station was that played "Working Man" on the air for the 1st time in America, back in '75.

How 'bout that for irony?!

Though, you may not be aware but, they were just given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Which is pretty cool in itself.

That'll show them knuckleheads @ the R&RHoF!

There are such a hosts of bands that just have not been given their due, Moody Blues, still out there touring for over 40 years, multiple top forty singles over three decades. Very influential on many bands and artists including Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, and the whole Brian Eno ambient, and through that Ultravox, U2, Talking Heads, Television and punk rock and Emo. New bands like MGMT. You've heard their influence now going on fifty years.

Rush and Yes are both bands that have been around for 40 years as well. Toured that whole time, changed with the industry and have distinct periods that exemplify these industry changes. They are also musicians bands. God forbid music should actually be played by people who can play these instruments.

ELP was a hugely influential bands. In the mid 1970s, they were raking in as much money as the Stones and Led Zeppelin. They brought the keys to the center of a rock band. Where would all those 80s synth bands be without them? Carl Palmer has been in four number one bands: Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Atomic Rooster, ELP and Asia.

You bands like Crimson, Hall and Oates, Journey, Stevie Ray Vaughn. All bands who emphasize musicianship. I am sure they will get in sooner or later. But it is a crime that bands like The Sex Pistols and the Furious Five and Dave Clark Five made it in first.

Some of the doc was really informative about things I really didn't know. I was a big fan of Hemispheres, which was a landmark album. It marked the end of a era musically. It was interesting to hear their take on that, as well as their fame and cult status.

I've played La Villa Strangiato and it's one of the hardest things in the rock repertoire . It was interesting to see that Neil himself has troubles with that piece. Also his shyness and reserve. I had often wondered why h you see Alex and Geddy on shows but often without Neil. I didn't know they were child hood friends, and they seem to have quite a close and bizarre friendship that leaves Neil as the odd man out.

Last edited:
I also noticed a few discrepancies between info given the movie and past interviews.

It's always been widely told that John Rusty quit Rush on his own accord citing his health issues and lack on interest in touring, but in the movie he is asked to leave due to his health issues. The why is still the same,but the how it happened is a bit different.

I noticed that too. I had always heard that he quit as well.

I notice in Wikipedia it says they wanted him to write lyrics but he was unhappy with that. Maybe that and the health issues led to the split.

Still very interesting in the movie to see all the early footage and places in Ontario where it all started.

Does anybody remember that Colbert show a couple of years ago, (which the discussion was mentioned on this show) was on where Colbert mentioned that this was their (Rush's) first appearance on mainline T.V. in a LONG time? WTF?

Yeah, he actually said it was the first appearance on American TV in a long time. They've been on Canadian TV plenty. Not sure about other countries.

damn i missed it and it doesn't look like they're re-running it...

i did notice that Palladia is showing R30 on 7/8 tho... that's set to record.

Saw it and thought it was great!
I thought Neil's comment on Tom Sawyer was interesting. He said he never gets tired of playing it because it's one of those songs that still suprises him when he gets it right.
Wouldn't it cool to be so good that you stump yourself like that? Amazing!

Picked up mine at Best Buy today... for $19.99 USD you get the DVD and a Moving Pictures Tour replica T-Shirt. Perfect for wearing to the Time Machine tour...

Yes, I did hear about that event. Thanks. No doubt in conjunction with that movie that Rush appeared in a cameo capacity. Plus as I said, there seems to be a Rush band wagon thing developing now, which in my opinion is way long overdue to the point of I don't care what the media creates now, it's to late and a dollar short. IMO.

Plus as I said, there seems to be a Rush band wagon thing developing now, which in my opinion is way long overdue to the point of I don't care what the media creates now, it's to late and a dollar short. IMO.
Actually, I was reading recently that if those guys wanted to do another album, they were more or less on their own to fund it. I thought that was too bad since I enjoyed Snakes and Arrows more than any Rush album since probably Power Windows.

I guess my point is that if there's going to be some bandwagoning going on, now's probably the perfect time since then they may get enough label support to go make another one.

Just a thought. Their well ain't run dry just yet.

My only "complaint" was how they would discuss some albums at length, and other albums were barely mentioned. But then again, it's already 3 hours long, I suppose something had to be edited out. It could easily have been a 6 hour movie.

Wow, the bonus disk really fills in a lot more of what was missing from the movie. Not every album or every period, but there is A lot of stuff on the bonus disc that was cut from the movie. Really worth watching.

Looks like MFB is back!

Back