Which e-kit for returning drummer...?

applecrate

Hi all,
My first post in this forum & am looking for view, advice, opinions on electronic kits. I haven't really played in anger for about 15 years when I was gigging 4 days a week (pub residencies & assorted gigs etc). My last kit was a Pearl Masters which was an awesome kit, but sadly children ensued & the kit had to go.

I'm now in the position where its almost coast clear to get a new kit, however there are restrictions e.g. neighbours, noise-sensitive missus etc. This leaves the only practical option in my view being an electronic kit of some sort. Had a couple of chats with drummers I've met & opinions vary wildly as to which kit. Budget will naturally play a part, but a decent sounding/feeling kit is the priority. Starting points I've been recommend so far are the Yamaha DTXtreme 3 series & also Roland TD12 series. Ultimately, I would like to "get back in the groove" & eventually start playing/gigging again so whatever I go for will need to fit the bill as far as live performances are concerned.

I welcome any & all thoughts on this (live in the UK BTW)

The yamaha silicone heads are a bit quiter and closer to the rebound of an actual drum,but still far off. The Roland mesh heads are louder, and tuneable, but it doesn't do much for rebound. I have a Td9 and love it for practice. I have a gig in a couple of weeks, after my exams finish and am keen to try out my electric kit there if it works out for band rehearsals the week prior. I am yet to use my electric kit in a band situation.

To me the yamaha's have better sounds, but I do really like my Roland and I just turn it on whenever I want and play away, it makes playing really fun, which is a good thing. Im sure the Td-12 or one of the latest Yamaha kits will both be great for gigging on, but you should really try and have a play on both, and see what suits you more. Goodluck with your shopping! Remember if you are gigging, you need to allow budget for an amp, unless you go straight to the PA for your sound.

2box or td-20/30.

P.s You think you'll gig it but I bet you go out and buy an acoustic kit.

2box or td-20/30.

P.s You think you'll gig it but I bet you go out and buy an acoustic kit.

If this is the case, I'd get a Pearl Rhythm Traveler with the mesh heads for near-silent practice and have an acoustic kit ready to load into the car for the gigs ;)

I had the Roland TD-10 V-drum kit and it was the most expensive practice kit I ever owned - I never took it out on a gig.

Hi all,
Starting points I've been recommend so far are the Yamaha DTXtreme 3 series & also Roland TD12 series.

These would be old used kits then as neither is a current model from Yamaha and Roland. You should go to a store and play current new Yamaha and Roland sets and get a feel for the hardware and the sounds in the modules. Most drummers know right away which brand suits them better.

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate your views & input. I think it goes without saying that if circumstances allowed e.g. family/neighbours etc, I would have another acoustic kit in a flash, probably another Pearl Masters or similar as well as an e-kit to practice on & keep the wife happy!!. But budget & other restrictions being what they are, it's looking highly likely that as good a second hand e-kit as I can get is going to be the only option - @thebarak, will try definitely try top get out to a shop & try them out - you are right in that I have no doubt as soon as I have a go, I'll know which suits my style best/feels best. @Galadrm, point taken re the monitor/PA for gigs, will have to factor this over the cost of the kit itself.

Thanks again for all your responses!!!

I was kind of in a similar situation as you were. I ended up buying a used Yamaha DTxtreme IIS kit for $1200. I'd say you have to try the different heads and see what you like. That's the biggest difference between all the different kits. I kind of liked the Roland heads but found them a little boingy for me. The yamaha rubber pads aren't my favorites either, just a little too far the other way. The new silicone yamaha heads are really nice, but I find them a little small in diameter.. I didn't like them at first play, but the kit had been pounded by every 12 year old kid who had ever stepped into the music store.

My set has a 12" snare, and 4 10" three zone toms, so you get tom, rimshot and another sound like a cowbell on the other rim. It also comes with 3 cymbals + hihat. I'm quite happy with my purchase. It's got a ton of drumkits in it, but I really only use 1 or 2.

Using them for gigs, you need a PA that can handle the lows, so probably a subwoofer is in your future. I bought a pair of Mackie Thump TH-15A's and they choke a bit on the kick drum, so I need to get a sub to play live. With PA speakers and the electronic kit, it's almost as much stuff as my acoustic kit to lug around.

I used to gig regularly with a Roland SPD-8 pad and 2 foot triggers for hihat and bass drum. Talk about portable! I went to band practice on my motorcycle once, and took my whole drum kit with me!

Back