Evans EC2 Rivals?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I'm looking for a Remo head that would be about the equivalent of Evans EC2s. These have been my favorite tom heads lately, but I normally favor Remo over any other heads, so I want to know if there is a similar Remo head that is just as good or better, to keep my OCD about my heads from acting up so much. Any leads?

P.S. I've never been keen on Remo Pinstripes.

Well... the Pinstripe is the head. Perhaps try a different finish Pinstripes, e.g. the ebony or coated models.

But if you really don't like Pinstripes, then their Powerstroke 4 is probably as close as you're going to get (Unless you want to just muffle an Emperor to your taste[and get more sound options as a result]).

Yeah, I agree with Porter, the Pinstripe is the closest equivelent head to the EC2. If you like the EC2 and want to minimize head brand OCD perhaps you should just switch your bass and snare heads to Evans...

Pinstripe=EC2? Depends on which EC2 you mean...

The original foil ring EC2s were very Pinstripey, and much more consistent in my experience (as a Pinstripe user & Remo endorser for many years.) I used to say that the EC2 was the head that the Pinstripe wanted to be. In fact, that EC2 was one of Evans' top-sellers.

But, Evans changed the EC2, using a lighter (ink?) ring in place of the foil. The head is different than it was, more like a clear G2 now, and no longer comparable to the Pinstripe. If there's a Remo counterpart, I'd have to say it's a clear Emperor.

Why not just stick wtth the Evans? If your OCD was really that bad, you'd call it CDO. :)

Bermuda

Small derail: who or what is an OCD?

On another note, you may be interested in looking into Aquarian Super 2 heads with built in studio x-ring...

Small derail: who or what is an OCD?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, very basically an anxiety caused by things not being a certain way, and behaviors that become habits are used to cope with that anxiety. Such habits might include constant washing of hands, knocking on a door a certain # of times (like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory) etc. Someone who is very meticulous and checks things 3 or 4 times when not really necessary, would be considered OCD. Those who are particularly obsessed sort of jokingly call it CDO, as the letters are then in alphabetical order.

Bermuda

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, very basically an anxiety caused by things not being a certain way, and behaviors that become habits are used to cope with that anxiety. Such habits might include constant washing of hands, knocking on a door a certain # of times (like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory) etc. Someone who is very meticulous and checks things 3 or 4 times when not really necessary, would be considered OCD. Those who are particularly obsessed sort of jokingly call it CDO, as the letters are then in alphabetical order.

Bermuda

Thanks, I get it. That abbreviation didn't pass my built-in English to Dutch translator.

Pinstripe=EC2? Depends on which EC2 you mean...

The original foil ring EC2s were very Pinstripey, and much more consistent in my experience (as a Pinstripe user & Remo endorser for many years.) I used to say that the EC2 was the head that the Pinstripe wanted to be. In fact, that EC2 was one of Evans' top-sellers.

But, Evans changed the EC2, using a lighter (ink?) ring in place of the foil. The head is different than it was, more like a clear G2 now, and no longer comparable to the Pinstripe. If there's a Remo counterpart, I'd have to say it's a clear Emperor.

Why not just stick wtth the Evans? If your OCD was really that bad, you'd call it CDO. :)

Bermuda

Maybe I'll have to try some Pinstripes again to see how I like them this time around. For the record, I really prefer the new EC2s to the older ones. I hated the old ones, but since the change, they seem just perfect for what I like. I would probably stick to Evans, but I just can't find a head that does a snare justice for me like a coated Ambassador. No matter how many different snare heads I try, I just keep coming back to it. My toms are due for a change soon, so I'll probably grab some pinstripes and see how they fair for me. I know a lot of people swear by them. And I think I just figured out why I hated them.. Because everybody that I've ever known to play Pinstripes didn't know how to tune their drums. I always saw Pinstripes on awful sounding drums and just dismissed them. I'll certainly give them another shot. If they don't work, I'll just have to stick to Evans on my toms and Remo on my kick and snare. Thanks for the input, folks

I'm looking for a Remo head that would be about the equivalent of Evans EC2s. These have been my favorite tom heads lately, but I normally favor Remo over any other heads, so I want to know if there is a similar Remo head that is just as good or better, to keep my OCD about my heads from acting up so much. Any leads?

P.S. I've never been keen on Remo Pinstripes.

Though there may be other heads on the market that looks similar to the EC2S, Evans is the only company doing anything the graduated inked mass-loading of a drumhead. This allows us to balance the amount of tonal control evenly from a 6" tom all the way to a monster 20" floor tom. If you've found your sound, why not stick with it. If you're looking to check out some Evans options for the rest of your drums, feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help you find the best options for you.

Cheers!

^---- This.

Aquarian heads are far superior than Evans or Remo.

I've dabbled in Aquarian heads here and there, and they just sound a little too dull to me. I've heard them sound great on other kits, but I can't seem to get the sound I want out of them.

Maybe it's just my kit (it's kind of cheap), but Remo and Evans have always given me the best results. Remo Ambassadors and Powersonics have never failed me. I like to stick to what I know works.

Back