Question about black chrome

luzzifher

hi, guys recommend evans black chrome heads for toms? tama superstar hyperdrive buy one, and I heard that being shallow drums, some heads kill the sound, are saying?, those heads should I buy?

I'm sorry for writing using google translator, I understand little English, the Spanish forums do not have much information

Black Chrome gives a very dark and short sound.

They are also very durable.

You can try them and see if you like them.

If you want a bright and "open" sound, you can try a Remo Ambassador .

I have a hyperdrive and almost went Evans Onyx but went with Evans G2 clear and am happy, As states they are short sustain and darker, I would get one for your mid sized tom and see if you like it before you re-skin the whole thing.

I have a hyperdrive and almost went Evans Onyx but went with Evans G2 clear and am happy, As states they are short sustain and darker, I would get one for your mid sized tom and see if you like it before you re-skin the whole thing.

He's gonna have a hell translating that... hahaha

But Zarrdoss is right. You can buy one Black Chrome to see if you like it. If you do, you can buy a couple more.

You can look at Evans website www.evansdrumheads.com. There is some great info there.

Good luck.

I heard them on a brand new Pearl set when I went to the shop for Cymbalvote, and they have very little sustain, and I don't like the shiny look.

Cabezas de batteria con dos capas muerte la sonar pero cabezas de batteria con uno capa son mejor porque permitir el tambor para resonar. Va a tu tienda de batteria y pregunta si possible para prueba cabezas differentes y buscar tu sonar favorita. me recommienda las Evans G2 o G14, recubierto o claro.

Lo siento por mi espanol, es horrible.

In english: Drum heads with two plies dont allow the drum to resonate as much as single ply heads which bring out the tone of the drums more. Go to your local drum shup and ask if they will let you try some different heads on drums and see which ones you like the sound of more. I reccomend the G2 or G14, clear or coated.

I tried the Black Chrome heads last night on my touring kit toms: 12, 13 & 16" (Ludwig Keystone oak/maple/oak.)

The sound seems very G2 to me, and indeed they're just .5 mil thicker on the bottom ply (7 mil top, 7.5mil btm, compared to 7 & 7 on the G2.) I didn't find that the sustain was particularly short, the smaller toms had a nice ring to them. In fact, I had to tape up my floor tom because the decay was too long.

The "R" company used to market their ebony heads as sounding darker, and there may be something to that with the Black Chrome, it's hard to say without a proper a/b comparison. But they sound good, and I'm not in a hurry to change them out (despite loving the G14 batters for several months.)

I think the allure with these is the appearance, and they do look especially great with the Black Abalone finish on my kit! Well, at least from where I sit! :)

Only possible drawback is that they show fingerprints and stick marks immediately. But I don't worry about that, my gear isn't being used for a photo shoot.

Bermuda

I really enjoy them. I use the black chrome heads on my vintage restored Sonor kit that Evans put on their facebook page.

Sonor_Restored.jpg

Just wish people would not take my pictures and even credit that it is my drum kit. I paid for it, I paid for the heads and I paid for the restoration. Just like when I found my Prolite kit on Zildjian's website. In that case half a million people saw my kit and I never got a mention.

Manny

hi, guys recommend evans black chrome heads for toms? tama superstar hyperdrive buy one, and I heard that being shallow drums, some heads kill the sound, are saying?, those heads should I buy?

I would typically recommend Black Chromes for bigger drums. Shorter toms can sometimes sound choked by these heads. You might consider the G2 coated heads or Onyx heads. Still, the best way to know is to try them out.

I really enjoy them. I use the black chrome heads on my vintage restored Sonor kit that Evans put on their facebook page.

Sonor_Restored.jpg

Just wish people would not take my pictures and even credit that it is my drum kit. I paid for it, I paid for the heads and I paid for the restoration. Just like when I found my Prolite kit on Zildjian's website. In that case half a million people saw my kit and I never got a mention.

Manny
Manny, as was mentioned in our conversation through Facebook, this photo was posted by Anchor drums on their page. I make a point of support the custom drum companies that do fantastic work and choose to use our products. I was merely sharing an example of their work. You weren't referenced in their post by name, so I couldn't credit you as the owner. I hope you understand.

Cheers!

Yeah its all good! I posted this before the Facebook conversation.

More to the point - these heads have the sound and feel of G2's, are easier to tune, and have a depth to them that is awesome. I honestly was just trying them out on my vintage kit but I think I will switch up my main kit to these. I can't wait to hear them through the house speakers at some of the next venues I play!

Manny

After a lot of research I ust ordered a set of Black Chromes. I like a deeper sound to my toms and that is what originally brought to these heads. The asthetics were a nice added bonus. But this comment by Ben is really encouraging as well. I own the Mapex 2004 Maple M Series with deep toms.

"I would typically recommend Black Chromes for bigger drums. Shorter toms can sometimes sound choked by these heads."

I'll let you all know what I think of them when I get them later this week.

Ok I have used the Chromes for a week or so and I do like them. I am having a little trouble getting my 13" to sound just right still. But they gave me what I was hoping for a deep sound. I started working on Separate Ways at the same time and I love the sound of my 16" floor tom.

For the record I have Mapex M (Maple) 9 ply with the deep toms.

Back