I LOVE my new Tune Bot!

Embalmer

I picked one up at Guitar Center (currently the only place they are available) and this is an AWESOME device! For those who haven't heard about the Tune Bot, check out this link:

http://tune-bot.com/

I'm not a member of the company making them, so don't think that. This lets you measure the frequency of the drum at each specific lug while tuning, as well as the overall pitch of both batter and reso heads. It takes the guessing out of the tuning process.

Since I like to tune my toms at the lowest possible pitch, I clip the tune bot to the rim and keep tightening the lugs in a star pattern gradually until it barely resonates. Then, I observe the frequency noted in Hz and tune each lug to that frequency. Sometimes it is necessary to tune them up a bit to get all of the wrinkles out, but I can evenly tune the heads on both sides to the lowest possible pitch much easier and accurately than before.

Also, tuning the snare was hard for me because I have the reso head tighter than the batter side, and once I have it tuned the way I like it the tune bot will store the frequency in it's memory so the next time I tune I won't have to remember what the specific pitch was. This device can remember frequencies for 9 different drums both batter and reso heads, as well.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who is anal about tuning like me...

If I were ever going to head into a studio to record, I think I'd have to get one of these... This would definitely take the guesswork out of tuning.

I must admit, after seeing that video, I'm impressed. It may be especially useful if I want to put up some drum comparison videos later this year (i.e. a number of drums all tuned exactly the same). I regard myself as a competent tuner, but there's aspects of this product that I like. For example, the ability to tune in a noisy environment.

I've avoided the drum dial stuff, frankly, because I'm faster & my ears are more accurate than the product.

Think I might just get one of these Tune Bot things though :)

I think the TB is a very useful device, but it is very easy to get lost in the technology. Ive had mine now for a few days and what Ive found is that my ear is very good, but the TB allows me to fine tune what my ear cant. I tuned up my Sonor SQ2s by ear and found that I was only off by +/- 2 and I was able to dial in the head at that point with the TB. I do think that it is better than the DrumDial as a quicky assistant to the ear.

F

So does the Tunebot really work as well as the videos imply? Does it filter overtones well enough to give accurate, repeatable measurements on a heavily out of tune drum?

Do you need to move the TB around each lug to get each reading? Looks like you can just keep it in one place and read all the lugs frequencies?

Do you need to move the TB around each lug to get each reading? Looks like you can just keep it in one place and read all the lugs frequencies?

nope, just set it up and start tuning.

F

I was very impressed with the live demo I got at NAMM.

I've still been a bit on the fence about buying one. So it is helpful to hear people are having positive experiences with it.

Yeah, I just stopped into a GC during lunch to check out some gear. I then remembered this product and asked the sales guy in the drum dept about it. He said "We just received one, but I bought it"

He seemed to be thrilled about it, and said that he'd been drumming for quite a while and is quite good tuning by ear. I heard it's pretty user-friendly.

I'm wondering how you could clamp it to the bass drum hoop to tune the BD?
I'm a little hesitant at the moment because it is such a new product (electronic at that). I've purchased items 3-5 months after their initial release that have been "improved" or modified based on user's feedback or problems.

BTW - the 2 year protection plan at GC is $16. I guess you'd be good for 2 years at least.

For my smaller toms (8 and 10") I was able to keep it on one spot while tuning each head. For the 12, 13, and 16" toms, I tuned one half side of the head, then moved the Tune Bot to the opposite side. I found it wouldn't always get a good pitch reading while hitting the head on the opposite side of the drum.

Yeah, I just stopped into a GC during lunch to check out some gear. I then remembered this product and asked the sales guy in the drum dept about it. He said "We just received one, but I bought it"

He seemed to be thrilled about it, and said that he'd been drumming for quite a while and is quite good tuning by ear. I heard it's pretty user-friendly.

I'm wondering how you could clamp it to the bass drum hoop to tune the BD?
I'm a little hesitant at the moment because it is such a new product (electronic at that). I've purchased items 3-5 months after their initial release that have been "improved" or modified based on user's feedback or problems.

BTW - the 2 year protection plan at GC is $16. I guess you'd be good for 2 years at least.

I was able to hold the Tune Bot right above the head where the kick drum lugs were, and get a consistent reading. I got myself the 2 year plan. Heck, $16 isn't anything these days.

I will have to put this on my list!

Please do! It's the best $99 I've spent for anything drum related. It takes all the guesswork out of tuning and the process goes much quicker.

I wonder if the price will go up or down as they starting selling them more widely. I want one of these.

Is $99 expensive for you guys in the states or something? If I wanted to import a tune bot, it would still end up being cheaper than buying a Drum Dial from a store here. Also cheaper than a Tama Rhythm Watch, a Boss pedal guitar tuner, and a little more than a good kick batter head. I know things are relatively more expensive here than in the US but to me that doesn't seem overly expensive for what it does.

The Tunebot website lists $149 and the only retailer listing it from pre-order is £99. Where did the $99 come from?

Is $99 expensive for you guys in the states or something? If I wanted to import a tune bot, it would still end up being cheaper than buying a Drum Dial from a store here. Also cheaper than a Tama Rhythm Watch, a Boss pedal guitar tuner, and a little more than a good kick batter head. I know things are relatively more expensive here than in the US but to me that doesn't seem overly expensive for what it does.

A Tama Tension Watch costs me $60, an Evans GMAD cost me $45 here in the US.

Back