Sonor force 2007/3007 ?

Kr1sh

Hi everyone,

Recently i posted a thread about tama superstar hyperdrive, asking which color to get as i was going to order them... but the dealer suddenly told that the order wasn't possible. So I got my pre paid money back and so on... Yet, I still didn't have drums, which i really needed. So I went to the store where i had bought my first sonor 507 drums 3 years ago and looked around there.

What catched my eye were two sonor force 2007 kits ( blue and amber fade) and a 3007 kit, for whom i don't know the name of finnish ( a mix of cherry red and dark brown, i can't even describe )

I know this has been disscused in a few other topics, but how do the 2007 birch and 3007 maple differ in sound ? I wanted to know, because I've played on 3007 and it was really open sounding, but the finish of 2007 is much better looking.

Also, besides hardware is there any other difference?

P.S. Which color you like better ?

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6,693
  • sonor 2007 studio blue fade.jpg
    sonor 2007 studio blue fade.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5,426
The red onme will look good on stage, so will the blue. But, i think the
3007 is a better kit, think they have those "Burst" finishes. All comes down to taste i believe.

The "Midnight Fade" finish for the SONOR 3007 is very nice, you might want to look into that one.
Nothing wrong with 2007 kits, though, and you'll save some bucks.

Fox.

I know the 3007's have ten lugs on their 22" bass drum and 14" snare..pretty sure you only get 8 lugs on these on the 2007's

Would 2007 be a big upgrade from force 507 ?

And are 2007 considered the same level as 3007 bEsides the wood ?

How much you spending? I just got a new Force 3007 from ZZounds for 685 no hardware. They only have it in one finish though, red sparkle fade to black. Sonor also has a drum package called the Extreme Force Birch which is a six piece kit and if you mail in a copy of your receipt they'll send you two cymbal stands. It's about 720. I think it might just be a repackaged 2007, as it's birch and has many of the same finishes.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SOOEXTB622

Would you guys put the 3007 (minus the snare) within more of a "pro" range of kit in sound/quality than an intermediate kit?

I've only been able to tap on a couple kits (not actually play)
The snare did sound pretty good, but snares are different than bass drums and toms.

The rest of the kit seemed pretty darn nice.
How are the lugs, claws and hoops on a 3007?

I really like the Red/Black burst finish (different than the posted pic).

Thinking of something for my son in the future. They'll probably "move on" from a 3007, but they'd have something along the same lines--or a used one.

I have never heard a single bad thing about them.In fact I think they are beautiful kits.Only thing to consider is that they come in unusual sizes.So make sure you like the way they sound pitch wise first.

For 650 bucks,and with sites doing Columbus day sales for 15 percent off(sites who arent will match or beat them as well)that makes it a ten lug maple stunner for under 600 new...yea now I want one too :)

Would you guys put the 3007 (minus the snare) within more of a "pro" range of kit in sound/quality than an intermediate kit?

Well, signed Sonor artists that aren't widely known do get these when first endorsed, so I guess sonor does stand behind them to showcase their brand.
I think they have many of the features of a pro kit, and they only lack in the "luxury" or exclusive aspect of much more expensive kits. Also, in terms of sound, while they'll sound great, perhaps they are a bit generic. For a cheap, Pro kit, I'd get a Mapex Saturn.

Fox.

I can spend plenty enough, so i can choose between them. I am more concerned about the sound

Btw, i will buy only shell pack

I can spend plenty enough, so i can choose between them. I am more concerned about the sound

Btw, i will buy only shell pack

Again, look into the Mapex Saturn. I have a 3007 which I really like (and also like the finish), but I'd go back and get a Saturn for a little bit more.
There's little difference between a 3007 and the Mapex current equivalent maple kit (although I think the 3007 has the ten lugs, while the Mapex does not), while the Saturns are more distinct drums, with no equivalent in Sonor.

Fox.

Again, look into the Mapex Saturn. I have a 3007 which I really like (and also like the finish), but I'd go back and get a Saturn for a little bit more.
There's little difference between a 3007 and the Mapex current equivalent maple kit (although I think the 3007 has the ten lugs, while the Mapex does not), while the Saturns are more distinct drums, with no equivalent in Sonor.

Fox.

Look at the 2007 and the 3007 as the twins to the Mapex Meridian birch, and the Meridian maple. Yes the Mapex Meridian maple has a full complement of lugs. All four kits are made by KHS in Korea. The are all great mid grade kits.

Fox is right about moving up to the Saturns unless you really like the sound of an all maple shell. In that case the 3007, or Meridian Maple would be the way to go. The Meridain Maple won best drum kit, I think it was two or three years ago.

Fox can I correct you on one thing. The Saturn's aren't a cheap pro drum, but an inexpensive pro drum. Just sounds nicer. :)

Well, I don't know what to do now... Where i live there isn't a big choice of mapex drums, i'd say none at all. Ebay is another option...

But, I think i'd go with the 2007 if i don't find anything on ebay.

Also are sonor tom mounts usable on mapex drums ?

P.S. I dont know why, but since i started drumming i've never been a fan of mapex.

Fox can I correct you on one thing. The Saturn's aren't a cheap pro drum, but an inexpensive pro drum. Just sounds nicer. :)

Well, man, I wish I had a Saturn, so I had to make them seem a bit less exclusive to feel a bit better about myself :p
I don't like the finishes much, though.

Fox.

Well, man, I wish I had a Saturn, so I had to make them seem a bit less exclusive to feel a bit better about myself :p
I don't like the finishes much, though.

Fox.

Really. That is what most people like about them. Wait till you see my latest Saturn set, as soon as I pay it off. I think you will like this one. If you don't I am sure you will tell me. :)

Well, I don't know what to do now... Where i live there isn't a big choice of mapex drums, i'd say none at all. Ebay is another option...

But, I think i'd go with the 2007 if i don't find anything on ebay.

Also are sonor tom mounts usable on mapex drums ?

P.S. I dont know why, but since i started drumming i've never been a fan of mapex.
How long has that been? Have you ever tried one? Were do you live? Lots of good on line stores around. If both companies l-arms are the same diameter then they should work.

I live in northern europe. It's not really that i hate them, i'm just not keen on them. And unfortunately havent tried one...

Last edited:
I have a Sonor tom arm and it's the same as the Mapex one. At least close enough to fit properly. The box was labeled "Sonor Force 2007 tom mount' so I assume Sonor would only use one size. I originally bought it to mount a tambourine but it now holds one of the Saturn toms on my lounge practice kit.

You should be able to find measurements on the Mapex and Sonor websites to confirm, have a look for the spare parts catalogs if not on their main site.

I live in northern europe. It's not really that i hate them, i'm just not keen on them. And unfortunately havent tried one...
Don't judge a book by its title. You need to give them a try. They make great drums. They have been making shells for many other companies for years. Just like Keller in the US.

Back