My Kit (she ain't much but she's all i gots)

sandman1231

Heres my kit. Cheap Aria. Good for the money, doesn't sound too bad. Some parts feel cheap, the snare strainer allways turns the snares off. Just recently mounted the ride on the bass drum and the 13" tom on the cymbal stand, saves space in my shed. Previously i didnt use the 13" and its got makeshift legs so it can be used as a tiny bass drum, so i can use it now as a tom and weird bass drum. I put it behind my floor tom cause its a lot more comfortable for me there, dont like having more than one rack tom. The sizes are just standard cheap "rock" kit sizes. Also my shed is a complete shithole but idc really.

101_0058.jpg

101_0059.jpg

101_0068.jpg

101_0071-1.jpg

101_0066.jpg

Shitty Cymbals they came with the kit, they're terrible sound really clangy. I'm gonna replace them eventually. But I'm not in too much of a hurry to buy becasue I'm only playing to myself (and the neighbours). Theyre not too bad when ive got ear plugs in or headphones, becasue most of the bad sound is muffled. At least for practicing they sound remotly like a crash and a pair of hi-hats.

101_0069.jpg

101_0070-1.jpg

And finally my good cymbal. Sabian AA Medium Ride, its pretty good. Its really the only part of my kit that isnt cheap. I'm also happy with the way the picture turned out.
101_0060.jpg

As long as your establishing a good groove, that's all you need. You don't want your first kit to be some 8 piece double bass kit with tons of bronze.
You would get overwhelmed and loose focus on what's more important.
Good luck. Everyone should start out with a kit like that.

Im not really in to big kits tbh. I think the most id want would be 1 up 2 down, only just recently added the 13". Can't have 2 rack toms cause it ruins my ride cymbal placement, unless i mounted it at the left side of the bass drum. I'd like a second crash and maybe a splash, id like a double pedal and thats it for additions to the setup, appart from upgrading everything to something of better quality. Even if I wanted to get a massive kit I have nowhere to put it, and if I ever get any gigs it'd be a hassle to transport it. I think next year when ive paid all the stuff im paying for now i might upgrade the kit.

Also they're not coated reso's if anybody is wondering. They're the stock heads, just white plastic. Sometimes i want my cymbals to break so im forced to buy new ones. Ive had the kit 2 years but for like 10 months i didnt play it, just started again in my uni break. Since april i've been playing at least 2 hours in the days im not working (i only work 2-3 days).

looks like a good feel but i love huge sets and thats why i am a metal drummer

How much did the EC2's help the sound? I'm asking because I'm assuming the stock heads weren't very good, and I've heard postitive things about the EC2s.

How much did the EC2's help the sound? I'm asking because I'm assuming the stock heads weren't very good, and I've heard postitive things about the EC2s.

Well the stock heads were terrible. They barely sounded like drums. The EC2's sound great, theyve got the muffling ring but it doesnt make them sound dead. It's not like sticking loads of tape or moongel's on and getting, like a dead thud sound. They actually sound like a proper drum sound. It seems to me that they get the right balance of them sounding too ringy and sounding dead. Also seemed easier to tune.

As long as your establishing a good groove, that's all you need. You don't want your first kit to be some 8 piece double bass kit with tons of bronze.
You would get overwhelmed and loose focus on what's more important.
Good luck. Everyone should start out with a kit like that.

That's how I started.

I was 7 years old when I got my first real kit.

A 96' 9 piece Tama. I had 4 crashes, 1 ride, 2 slash, 1 china, and 1 hi-hat all from Zildjian.

But, I learned how to control the massive beast. I learned how to do a bunch of differant things, without ever loosing focus on important stuff, or being overwhelmed.

Anyway, nice simple kit.
Just upgrade the crash and hi hat and you'll be fine.
Hope you enjoy it.

Hey Sandman, Like Class A said, your kit looks fine to me. Theres absolutely nothin wrong with makin due with what you got. You could spend thousands on new gear and while it may look nicer, it doesnt make you any better of a drummer. As long as you take care of what you have and keep the heads fresh, you ll end up with the same amount of experience no matter what you re playing on. Cool idea, with the little "weird" bass drum as you put it, A little imagination goes a long way, IMO. Drum On bro!

You don't EVER need to apologize for your kit. To anyone. Especially not your family of fellow drummers here.

And as for your idea about breaking your cymbals so you're forced to buy new ones - that smacks of criminal genius. I like the way you think.

Yeah, I agree. Don't need to apologize to anyone here!! Your kit is your baby!!

I still play on a 60's Japanese Import kit. I put on Evans coated heads, upgraded the cymbals, and I'm off and running again after a long layoff. We've all seen and heard folks on kits that look amazing - nice and shiny - and with a lot of toms and cymbals - but they play awful!

Buddy Rich, Charlie Watts, Max Weinberg...all those cats made a fortune or are making a fortune playing on smaller kits. When Max Weinberg toured with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band, he played a small kit - as he does now on Conan. Charlie Watts makes millions playing a small kit. Buddy did his thing on a kit with one mounted tom and two flooor toms.

Interesting......

You don't EVER need to apologize for your kit. To anyone. Especially not your family of fellow drummers here.
Hell yeah. In fact, I really enjoy threads like these: "I may not have a fancy, expensive kit, but I'm going to show it off anyway." Right on. You've got a cool kit as far as I'm concerned. Nevertheless, what really makes a drummer is the hands, the feet, the heart and the mind. The kit is just gravy.

Just put the 13" aside again today. I had them going 12 up>13 down >16 down, but i felt it was too much of a twist to get to the 16", the 13" is a bit too small i think. I like 1 up 2 down but id prefer it if the tom was a bit bigger. Might take the 13" to uni this weekend.

Prolly gonna upgrade my hats this month or so. Looking at a few, K mastersound hats, k light hats (i like what ive heard but i think theyre gonna be too thin for the music i play, dont want something thats not gonna be durable enough), or possibly paiste 2002 sound edge hats. Just missed some of the k mastersound hats on ebay the otherday dont get paid till monday.

Back