Vic Firth 5AN sticks

mikec

This is my stick of choice ...but I have noticed lately that some of the pairs feel different weight wise. Not sure what it is... but some feel lighter/heavier than other pairs.

This is my stick of choice ...but I have noticed lately that some of the pairs feel different weight wise. Not sure what it is... but some feel lighter/heavier than other pairs.

You know, I think Vic Firth has a big problem with this and it seems to be across all lines. I've spent the last year trying signature sticks and getting comfortable, only to find that my next pair is heavier, shaped different, etc. I finally got fed up with it and ordered some Pro Mark Pro Grips and got them in today, they seem promising.

Glad it wasnt just me.... Yeah I bought some ProMark's same size 5AN and they were lighter but they both felt the same in weight, the only problem is that they didnt last as long as the VF's.

It's frustrating and expensive, for sure...since I have to buy 3-pair at a time and weed out the bad ones. I keep promising to take some pics and start a thread on it and then send it to VF to see what kind of response they might have. I've used Weckl Evolutions, DeJohnettes, and now Akira Jimbos...and I've never gotten the same pair twice. They're visibly different, too...like they changed the stick entirely.

If you're using nylon tips, how were they not as durable for you? Are you actually breaking sticks then?

It's frustrating and expensive, for sure...since I have to buy 3-pair at a time and weed out the bad ones. I keep promising to take some pics and start a thread on it and then send it to VF to see what kind of response they might have. I've used Weckl Evolutions, DeJohnettes, and now Akira Jimbos...and I've never gotten the same pair twice. They're visibly different, too...like they changed the stick entirely.

If you're using nylon tips, how were they not as durable for you? Are you actually breaking sticks then?

Yeah I tried the Weckle's, they were nice but the tip would wear quickly playing Rock,Funk,etc...

The nylon tips have never come off which is great but after a few gigs the sticks start to splinter in the middle(I am heavy on the snare hand) and eventually they break. I can live with that but what gets me is just as you say the difference in the feel and look is really astonishing. Let me know if you do write VF and what there response is. I am going to do the same.

Heck I even bought a pair of 5A Nylon Regal Tips..Just to try.

ive found this in vater too,their sticks are usually really sturdy and a bit more heavy which i like. but latley ive gotten pairs that range from what feels like the standerd weight their shooting for ,to "my god are these things made of cement?!?" no durability issues but the weights are all over the board.

Back