Aquarian Heads..Overall Head Help!

iontheable

I'm looking to re-skin my new Maple Meridian kit.. at the moment I'm using my Remo Ebony Pinstripes(from my previous kit, had to eliminate terrible sound due to damage bearing edges)

Anyhow, I'm ready to let these things sing! I'm a bit unsure whether I'm looking for 1 or 2 ply..but at this point, I'm pretty sure I'd like to use Aquarian Heads. I am using a SuperKickII on my bass and it sounds AWESOME!

So, I'm looking for suggestions for plies, as well as matching a good reso and batter setup.

This is a 6 piece kit..I'm absolutely in love, but I just don't feel the Ebony Pinstripes are open enough, they just won't sing like I'm wanting them to.

Thank You!

The most open sound comes from single ply heads .
The Classic clear is the most open head that Aquarian makes.
You can use Classic Clear heads top and bottom.
The CC with Power Dot offers extra strength for the batter side

The most open sound comes from single ply heads .
The Classic clear is the most open head that Aquarian makes.
You can use Classic Clear heads top and bottom.
The CC with Power Dot offers extra strength for the batter side

Thanks for the run down Bob

I had a power dot and a reverse on my snare at one point and I absolutely hated them.

Highly considering a single ply at this point, I just don't want to buy heads for 6 drums and not like them!

You could consider a single ply coated on the batter.
Single ply coated batter heads are open but warmer than clear.
Coated heads will have less ring and overtones than clear.

After more reading, I'm thinking that I'm going go get a set of classic clears for the resos and possibly performance II for the batter.

Could anyone see anything negative about this match-up?

Performance 2's are essentially equivalent to Pinstripes. I think either Response 2's or Classic Clears on the batter would give you that open sound.

just got sent some super 2's, i'll let you know what they're like
btw performance II's are SUPER dead. pretty cool for low toms, high toms (13+) sound awful
but - if you want that classic (awful) 70s sound then they are perfect for achieving that sound

Performance 2's are desingned for low tuning. I'd go with super 2's, they will be in between classic clears and response 2s. Or go with studio x heads, that's actually even a better alternative imo.

Like others have said Performance II heads are super dead!
They are the deadest heads that I have ever used.
You said that you wanted an open sound.
The Studio-X are in between the Classic Clear and the P-II's
They are a real good head. Studio-X heads offer an open sound with a bit more control that the Pinstripes that you currently have.

I think that you are not yet committed to the sound that you want.
Do you usually tune loose, medium, or tight?
Do you play Rock, Pop, or Jazz?

Last edited:
Like others have said Performance II heads are super dead!
They are the deadest heads that I have ever used.
You said that you wanted an open sound.
The Studio-X are in between the Classic Clear and the P-II's
They are a real good head. Studio-X heads offer an open sound with a bit more control that the Pinstripes that you currently have.

I think that you are not yet committed to the sound that you want.
Do you usually tune loose, medium, or tight?
Do you play Rock, Pop, or Jazz?

Thanks to everyone warning me of the P2's deadness, that is definitely not what I am going for!

I play a lot of rock, but more so alternative rather than classic. So, I definitely looking for openness, but I just want to make sure its not wide open without character.

And I generally tune medium to loose. Rarely ever tight.

Hi! performance II heads while not being the best suited for "singing toms" are really nice, and with proper tuning can be super low and have attack or high and have lots of attack. You might want to look into the the new force 10 series. They seem like they might be able to really open up, but i have to agree with everyone here based on experience, classic clears probably fit what you want.
this might help, they sound a little bit like real life, so i suggest only using this as a foundation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE

man this thread has made me want to get so many new sets of heads...!
aquarian are great :)

real cool video jon, hadn't seen that before.

real cool video jon, hadn't seen that before.

Thanks!
And i suggest this to all people when they talk about aquarian, performance II over classic clears, your choice of snare (everyone is so different with snare!) and Superkick I with ported regulator for the kick. (kick pad optional) Now you have a starting place if you do get new heads!

yeah!
i don't think i've tried the studio x or classic clears yet.

i always just stick to the standard coated for my snare, the finish is the best ever.
got a couple of superkicks but mostly use the II model.
i put a coated superkick on this awful performance percussion kick (which didn't even have all the lugs for tightening properly) and it instantly made it awesome

After learning that iontheable plays Alt Rock and tunes loose, I will go back to my original suggestion and recommend Classic Clear reso heads with Classic Clear with Power Dot batters.
In the video Roy had those drums tuned on the Medium/loose side.
Just remember to do as Roy said and tune the reso slightly higher than the batter.

For your snare I would recommend a single ply coated with a reverse dot.

You could put studio x batter on which is a classic clear with a small ring of power dot material on the outside edge of the underside of the head to control some ring, if you find it to be too much you can always peal it off leaving you with a classic clear, I use studio x batters and calssic clear resos, coated studio x on snares and super kick with a ported regulator front on the kick. Tried the focus x and found it to be a bit too controlled, and 2 ply heads are way too dead for my liking, I found the studio x to be a good balance and for just a little bit more control you can use a studio x with reverse power dot

You could put studio x batter on which is a classic clear with a small ring of power dot material on the outside edge to control some ring, if you find it to be too much you can always peal it off leavng you with a classic clear, I use studio x batters and calssic clear resos, coated studio x on snares and super kick with a ported regulator front.
I have also been know to peel the ring off of my Studio-X heads.
I sometimes record with new Studio-X's with the rings on and when Im finished recording I peel the damper rings off leaving a CC head just as you do.

Back