Double bass drum sizes

Stroker

Platinum Member
Here's a rundown of what I have on my wish list so far... DW-CS kit.

- (2) Bass Drums (Standard) 16x22" - 16x24"
- (4) Tom-Toms (Standard) 9x10" - 10x12" - 11x13" - 12x14"
- (2) Floor Toms (Traditional) 16x16" - 16x18"

My question is, if you were choosing a double bass kit, would you increase the depth of the larger bass drum to provide a more acute timber difference from the 16x22"?

I'm thinking a 16x22" and an 18x24"? While I understand this is a personal thing, there's a lot of knowledge here and being able to bounce this idea off you guys is invaluable to me.

Personally, I think an 24x18 is a whole lot of drum. I have two 24x16 bass drums and they can be a bit of a tight squeeze when moving them around.

As far as the different sizes, I'm a little unclear what your desired goal is. Just how different do you want the two to sound?

All other things being equal a larger diameter will make a lower pitch, while more depth will lengthen the note, but there are SO many other factors at play in a bass drum, from port holes, head selection, muffling, and tuning I don't know if you need significantly different-sized drums to get a significantly different sound.

I have two Collectors bass drums. A 20X18 and a 24X16. Both are fairly awesome, but as you might imagine, they are different animals. The "punch" of the 20 is very strong and the sheer power of the 24 is absolutely commanding. I also have a 24X18 on my PDP/CX and I have to tell you that it is a killer. That drum doesn't know that it cost so much less and it doesn't care. It is very hard to make it sound bad. I made my DW 24" in 16" depth to try to add some attack to the larger diameter, but honestly I don't know if the 2 inches make much difference. My collectors toms and floor toms easily outclass the PDP, but both bass drums are just excellent. I personally don't have a need for a 22. I have a big drum and a small drum so I don't find a niche for a medium size. I think that 22" is more versatile, and if you only had one bass drum, is probably the size I'd recommend. It certainly has more punch than a 24 and more command than a 20. Again though, I'm not convinced that 2 inches of depth makes a remarkable difference.BTW I like your choice of standard shells. All of my DW drums are standard shells and I absolutely love them.

I saw Artimus Pyle play with a 22" and a 28" dbl bass kit, Ed Shaughnessy used 22/24 and Aynsley Dunbar used two 20s. I also read Stu Martin used two 18s. Frank Beard in the 80s used a 18/20 combo. So I guess my question is "how are you gonna use your two bass drums?" If it's just for the occasional "dubba dubba", will two different sizes make any sense? Unless you're future-proofing your kit to have two bass drums and you're gonna use them alone.

Any time I've seen a drummer use two different bass drum sizes on stage, I can't say there was a noticeable difference.

By the time the sound man puts a mic on the bass drum, and dials up the tone on the board, and then the band playing over it, any difference is tone is pretty lost.

Mike Mangini had two 22s, a 26 and an 18 when he first joined Dream Theater. I saw him, and I heck if I even noticed what bass drum was being used at any given time. His playing was incredible, but I can't say have all those different bass drums made any difference.

Personally, I think an 24x18 is a whole lot of drum. I have two 24x16 bass drums and they can be a bit of a tight squeeze when moving them around.

As far as the different sizes, I'm a little unclear what your desired goal is. Just how different do you want the two to sound?

All other things being equal a larger diameter will make a lower pitch, while more depth will lengthen the note, but there are SO many other factors at play in a bass drum, from port holes, head selection, muffling, and tuning I don't know if you need significantly different-sized drums to get a significantly different sound.
Appreciate hearing from you, WW!

I'm definitely after a distinct tonal difference to add contrast and dynamics to the sound. At first I pondered two 14x22" drums, but after thinking about it, the same size option didn't make sense to me. Take a double floor tom kit, toms are different sizes, which launched the idea for me to go with two distinct sizes of bass drums.

Two 14x22" bass drums would work, however, opting for two different sized drums would (I think) achieve the sound I am after without me having to fiddle with tuning too much. A distinct timber difference would be there naturally right from the start, at least that's my way of thinking.

The saving-grace for me is, my kit never moves. No gigs, no travelling, no nothing.

Nothing is set in stone as of yet, but as I work through each aspect of my holy grail kit, it's rewarding for me to be able to cast a few options around while at the same time absorbing feedback. Much appreciated!

I have two Collectors bass drums. A 20X18 and a 24X16. Both are fairly awesome, but as you might imagine, they are different animals. The "punch" of the 20 is very strong and the sheer power of the 24 is absolutely commanding. I also have a 24X18 on my PDP/CX and I have to tell you that it is a killer. That drum doesn't know that it cost so much less and it doesn't care. It is very hard to make it sound bad. I made my DW 24" in 16" depth to try to add some attack to the larger diameter, but honestly I don't know if the 2 inches make much difference. My collectors toms and floor toms easily outclass the PDP, but both bass drums are just excellent. I personally don't have a need for a 22. I have a big drum and a small drum so I don't find a niche for a medium size. I think that 22" is more versatile, and if you only had one bass drum, is probably the size I'd recommend. It certainly has more punch than a 24 and more command than a 20. Again though, I'm not convinced that 2 inches of depth makes a remarkable difference.BTW I like your choice of standard shells. All of my DW drums are standard shells and I absolutely love them.
Great hearing from you, SD! Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Your insight and firsthand knowledge related to all this comes as a warm welcome to me. Other than one kit that I owned, all others had 14x22" bass drums and not once was I ever disappointed with the performance, but introducing a second bass drum to the equation automatically made me rethink sizing and sound.

You've opened up a wider range of thinking for me and I thank you for that.

As far as choosing standard toms goes, I've always gravitated towards deeper drums. It's what I grew up with and it stuck with me.

I saw Artimus Pyle play with a 22" and a 28" dbl bass kit, Ed Shaughnessy used 22/24 and Aynsley Dunbar used two 20s. I also read Stu Martin used two 18s. Frank Beard in the 80s used a 18/20 combo. So I guess my question is "how are you gonna use your two bass drums?" If it's just for the occasional "dubba dubba", will two different sizes make any sense? Unless you're future-proofing your kit to have two bass drums and you're gonna use them alone.
Thanks for weighing in on this for me, MBE!

You bring up an important facet to my double bass drum concept. I definitely won't be incorporating double bass into my playing all the time, but for progressive and advanced fills and beats, the idea of having a second bass drum to add to the mix appeals to me, and having a distinct tonal difference between the two equally calls out to me.

An extra thanks to you for mentioning the drummers who incorporated different size bass drums into their playing. I'll be pulling up whatever videos I can find on there guys.

Any time I've seen a drummer use two different bass drum sizes on stage, I can't say there was a noticeable difference.

By the time the sound man puts a mic on the bass drum, and dials up the tone on the board, and then the band playing over it, any difference is tone is pretty lost.

Mike Mangini had two 22s, a 26 and an 18 when he first joined Dream Theater. I saw him, and I heck if I even noticed what bass drum was being used at any given time. His playing was incredible, but I can't say have all those different bass drums made any difference.
Appreciate you input, DED!

The noticeable difference factor, or lack there of, is definitely something I can't afford to discount. It's times such as these where being able to sit down to a kit outfitted with different sized bass drums would prove to be invaluable.

Lots to think about...

2 24x18 bass drums are great for me, although they are home & never going out

2 24x18 bass drums are great for me, although they are home & never going out

A pleasure hearing from you, Az! Do you have each drum tuned differently from each other, or do you aim for a like-sounding timbre between the two?

Most people and companies consider those power tom sizes. Unless you sit extremely high, you aren't going to be pleased with your set up options,especially over 24"s.

Most people and companies consider those power tom sizes. Unless you sit extremely high, you aren't going to be pleased with your set up options,especially over 24"s.
Capital point, Bull, one of which I never gave the slightest thought to. Thanks for having a sharp eye and catching the finer points of this conversation. I have some homework to do.

Cozy Powell used to have crazy sizes. 2 26" bass drums and power toms, that's a lot of air to move! Mind you so did Bonham, Paice, Appice.

I like the Ginger Baker 20x12 and 22x12 approach. Tim Alexander did the same with Primus a few years back but I think they were maybe 16 or 18 deep.

I have a kit with 22x14 and 24x16 bass drums but I've set both bass drums up maybe twice. Bit OTT for me.

Cozy Powell used to have crazy sizes. 2 26" bass drums and power toms, that's a lot of air to move! Mind you so did Bonham, Paice, Appice.

I like the Ginger Baker 20x12 and 22x12 approach. Tim Alexander did the same with Primus a few years back but I think they were maybe 16 or 18 deep.

I have a kit with 22x14 and 24x16 bass drums but I've set both bass drums up maybe twice. Bit OTT for me.
Great hearing from you, Mikyok! Any/all information/experience with is much appreciated. Since reading, Bull's response, I've been busy taking measurements and weighing my options as to tom sizes and bass drum sizes. Lots to think about.

I use dual 14 x 24 Blaemire (1969 vintage) bass drums. I just built the dual kit from a second Blaemire kit I purchased a few months ago. It is a different trip for an old fart like me!

Back to practicing Louis Bellson chops!

I just finished paying for the full resto on the kit-- DuPont IMRON white undercoat with transparent red pearl top coat.

The 1969 Vintage Blaemire Set
Dual 14 x 24 bass
14 x 14
16 x 16
16 x 18
9 x 13
8 x 12
5 1/2 x 14 COS Rogers Dynasonic
All Rogers swivomatic hardware

Now Im saving $$ for a Jenkins Martin / Blaemire Concert Tom set in Ludwig Octa-Plus sizes

Last edited:
I just finished paying for the full resto on the kit-- DuPont IMRON white undercoat with transparent red pearl top coat.

The 1969 Vintage Blaemire Set
Dual 14 x 24 bass
14 x 14
16 x 16
16 x 18
9 x 13
8 x 12
5 1/2 x 14 BOB Rogers Dynasonic
All Rogers swivomatic hardware

Now Im saving $$ for a Jenkins Martin / Blaemire Concert Tom set in Ludwig Octa-Plus sizes
Is that ever going to look great! If you can, do post a picture when done!

Speaking of Dupont Emron in White, I was gifted a 1969 Dodge Dart GT (two-door) back in the day by my folks, and after doing a basic restore on it, I had it painted in Dupont Emron White. With it's deep dark green landau top, it made for a stunning combination.

One thing I forgot to mention -- when you are painting fiberglass shells make sure to put flex additive in the primer, color coat and clear coat. This will stop cracks appearing in the finish. So says my expert professional painter!

Back