Band name change!

No the guitar player hates the name but doesn't care, I don't care but am neutral and the keyboard player who thought up the name loves it.

I think I'd rather see A Limping Toad...

my friends actually have a band called The Stumblin' Toads kinda southern jam rock thing.

but i dont know how i feel about the new name.. maybe if you play some kind of metalcore it would work. those folks seem to enjoy that kind of thing

but it definately would pique my interest if i saw a flier

like i cant remember the movie but an outcast frat was throwing a party and their band couldnt come up with a name so they named it Everyone Gets Laid so the flier read "Tonight Everyone Gets Laid!" hah yeah...

hey ch,

my band's name is Come On Go With Us and i like it. alot of people dont, but oh well. you ask if its not a joke, how do you avoid the over serious name. just get a name that is a simple idea. dont try and change lives with it. dont try and scare people. use a name that gives people some idea of your sound and one that may attract them to a show.

our name is just a southern saying we had all heard too many times and felt it would work. also, the fact that our acronym, COGWU, is pronounceable (said kog-woo) is always a plus...

either way, good luck,
tb

Thanks for the feedback, I will think of some more names but my stupid guitar player is so freakin picky that it really just makes me not care to think of one....

"Tonight Everyone Gets Laid!" hah yeah...

That's like how we joked about calling our band "Open Mic Night" and this one guy i know wanted to call his old band "Free Lobster" :)
First one would just really make other musicians mad when they came to try and play at open mic... and the second would get the crowd pretty disapointed.

There was a band playing around Sydney in the 70s called "Free Beer". Everyone was thinking, "Why didn't we think of that?". Back in the Pleozoic Era one of my old bands would play gigs with a full-on grunge band called "The Real [Fornicating] Idiots" (I have to tone it down for the forum). They sounded so wicked on stage but were the nicest people :)

C-H, what does the picky guitarist want to call the band? Let me the guess ... something like "Black Blood Fall"?

He suggested Valkyrie, Wings of Odin, and That F***ing Chipmunk Ate My Car........

That's like how we joked about calling our band "Open Mic Night" and this one guy i know wanted to call his old band "Free Lobster" :)
First one would just really make other musicians mad when they came to try and play at open mic... and the second would get the crowd pretty disapointed.

At a club years ago they had one of those black signs with the whit stick on letters out front and some one changed it... instead of reading "Open Dart Competition" it read "Open Fart" . We almost crashed the car we laughed so hard. We always joked about naming a band that.

He suggested Valkyrie, Wings of Odin, and That F***ing Chipmunk Ate My Car........

I like both of the first two better then "Good Ol Spanking" but they might be too generic for you... or maybe you're not asatru practitioners... or whatever.. but "Valkyrie" and "Wings of Odin" are much more serious sounding.

It reminds me of the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" movie where Michael Palin is in the castle full of young women...all alone.... They all want to be spanked! LOL

You gotta be a Python fan to appreciate that name. Your new name conjures up all sorts of ideas. LOL Great name.

Toad the Wet Sprocket is a band name from Monty Python's as well so I think any name you like is fine. In the end if the music is smoking, nobody cares what the name is as long as they can remember it.

Trust me, anything is better than "Acidic Dump", "Goosechoker", and "Bomb Them!"

Unfortunatly those are some of my bands.

Its just so cliche, I think we are gonna stick with a good ol spankin, thanks for all of your feedback, you guys were great to work with.

I think Limping Toad is right in that once people know you the name fits and it's not an issue. In the late 70s on a Friday night some friends wanted to see who was playing at the Bondi Lifesaver - one of Sydney's better venues at the time. "Cold Chisel? Ugh! What's on at the Stagedoor Tavern?".

Cold Chisel ended up being one of the biggest bands in the country not so long afterwards. Apparently they'd thought up the name in a hurry a while before and it stuck.

I guess someone was named Edward Frogbottom people might roll their eyes but if he was a good guy then people would forget the name. Same with funny-looking people, once you get to know them their personality is all people notice.

Marketing, of course, is about gaining attention, making a good first impression and letting people know who you are. You'll at least tick the first box :)

I once had a metal band and for the name we basically just mixed up some words that sound long and big and didn't really care if they worked together our band was called RETALIATORYDAETHCONSUMPTION it's really three words but bigger and scarier as one. www.myspace.com/daethkvlt <-- there's some of our tunes but that was like 5 years ago this is me now ---> www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

See ya

Back