Baseball thread

Well...

Not to change the subject(World Series) but...

I just played in a 2-day golf tournament, today and yesterday, on the eastern shore of Maryland with, the ever unassuming, Harold Baines. The great hitting player of the 80s' and 90s'(with the Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers, Oakland Athletics, and Cleveland Indians). And the current 1st base coach of the Chicago White Sox.

Just a great guy, who hasn't forgotten where he came from (St.Michaels, Maryland). I had a really fun time running around in the golf cart for 2 days with him. Trying to keep my composure, have fun and trying to play decent golf at the same time.

Well, I guess, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Ughh...I played horribly, though, on Saturday, it was just an awful day. 30+ mph winds, with heavy-steady rain for most of the back nine holes. Temps in the mid 50s'. Tough day!

But, we made the best of that 5 1/2 hour round. Though NOT in our scores. :-( Today was a complete opposite of yesterday. Beautiful blue skies. 65 degrees. Almost no wind to speak of. Much better round for all!

Anyway, it was just a great experience playing two days of golf with a SUPER nice, well-grounded guy... # 3 Harold Baines.

Thanks Harold! Hope we can tee it up again sometime. ;-)

Well...

Not to change the subject(World Series) but...

I just played in a 2-day golf tournament, today and yesterday, on the eastern shore of Maryland with, the ever unassuming, Harold Baines. The great hitting player of the 80s' and 90s'(with the Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers, Oakland Athletics, and Cleveland Indians). And the current 1st base coach of the Chicago White Sox.

Just a great guy, who hasn't forgotten where he came from (St.Michaels, Maryland). I had a really fun time running around in the golf cart for 2 days with him. Trying to keep my composure, have fun and trying to play decent golf at the same time.

Well, I guess, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Ughh...I played horribly, though, on Saturday, it was just an awful day. 30+ mph winds, with heavy-steady rain for most of the back nine holes. Temps in the mid 50s'. Tough day!

But, we made the best of that 5 1/2 hour round. Though NOT in our scores. :-( Today was a complete opposite of yesterday. Beautiful blue skies. 65 degrees. Almost no wind to speak of. Much better round for all!

Anyway, it was just a great experience playing two days of golf with a SUPER nice, well-grounded guy... # 3 Harold Baines.

Thanks Harold! Hope we can tee it up again sometime. ;-)

University of Maryland, Eastern Shore if my Baltimore Orioles history serves me. Great player.

I think the cowbells have been silenced unfortunately for we Rays Fans.

hmmmm the bandwagon seems to be getting lighter as it looks like The Rays may be turning back into a pumpkin sooner than thought. Guess it's back to the beach and rooting for whichever florida NFL team that is doing good this week...LOL

Tampa is the only team to root for on this side of the state.
Miami I don't think sells out its home games.
And we do have a Stanley Cup hockey team also.
I can remember the year that the Marlins won the World Series, they didn't even sell out the
playoff games.

Last edited:
University of Maryland, Eastern Shore if my Baltimore Orioles history serves me. Great player.

Well,

actually, he was drafted right out of high school(St. Michaels High School) by the Chicago White Sox, in the 1977 amateur draft. He played for 22 YEARS!

And did you know that Harold ended the longest game in history with a homerun against the Brewers in 1984? That game was over 25 innings and 8 hours 6 minutes long! The bat Harold used is kept at the Hall of Fame.

Very cool guy! Pretty good golfer too, I might add.

It ain't over...

till it's over!

I bet it goes back to the "Trop".

Baseball, Boys of Summer, Dirt, Sweat, Heat, Salt Stained Lucky Hats.
Philadelphia, Cold, Rain, 38 Degrees, Snow?, Postponed.
Domes, Air Conditioning, Perfect Field, Playing Conditions
Domes, What a great idea.

Baseball, Boys of Summer, Dirt, Sweat, Heat, Salt Stained Lucky Hats.
Philadelphia, Cold, Rain, 38 Degrees, Snow?, Postponed.
Domes, Air Conditioning, Perfect Field, Playing Conditions
Domes, What a great idea.
Well, the grass is always greener isn't it??

Excepting there IS no Grass in the Trop!!!

Even the Rays organization is going to build a REAL outdoor field. It'll only need about 6000 seats though, because if the Rays lose they'll be right back to only the die hard fans of which there ain't many of.

Seriously, it bodes well for all of the MLB if the Rays win, even the Pink Hats will figure it out eventually if they follow the game religiously.
I'm still rootin' for the Phillies though!

A new stadium is on hold because the citizens of this area are opposed to letting the little rich boys from New York have any more tax money for private endeavor until the Trop is paid for. They can't afford it themselves and if they push this thru the legislation like they did the Trop. they won't even need 6000 seats. Just enough for an owners box and the St. Pete city council.

A new stadium is on hold because the citizens of this area are opposed to letting the little rich boys from New York have any more tax money for private endeavor until the Trop is paid for. They can't afford it themselves and if they push this thru the legislation like they did the Trop. they won't even need 6000 seats. Just enough for an owners box and the St. Pete city council.
HA HA !!! I'm really not as much of a traditionalist as I made it sound. I really don't mind the Trop, I actually LIKE the idea of the comfort for the fans AND the players.

It's a really quirky place to play, but they've made rules to govern the silly stuff that can happen, so it's equal for both teams.

I hope someone takes the dome idea and does the movable playing surface like they did for Cardinal Stadium. Real grass, indoor climate control, with an opening dome for nice weather. The best of BOTH worlds!!

I shall be the first to Congratulate all of the Phillies fans on a great year and an almost great World Series. Hats off to my Rays going from worst to first. Bring on some hockey.

Back