Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

Stanley Clarke! Duh! A collective apology for not mentioning him sooner in the thread!

One more Vote for Chris Squire. Such a melodic and distinctive sound he got from that Rick coupled with a unique playing style.

I think Fish out of Water is my favorite album from a bass player too.

And I'll give an honorable mention to Peter Hook and his high lead basslines with Joy Division and New Order.

Ahhhh, too many!! :)

jazz: Ray Brown
fusion: Stanley Clarke
Rock: Geddy Lee/Less Claypool

THE FUTURE: Tal Wilkenfeld

Victor Wooten

Justin Chancellor

Justin has great groove (it isn't just AAAA, DDDD, EEEE), and creates leads with the instrument while keeping to only 4 strings.

Victor Wooten is great too, great pocket, great leads, great solos, great technique, and he is way more experienced and chronologically gifted...

...definitely both bass players "that don't know their place"...hehe...but hey, that's something I like, individuality...

...when they are at their level, there is no bad, they just have very distinctive sounds.

Well, since there is only 1 allowed, And my REAL favorite has already been metioned a few times, I'll mention 2 guys, that for the life of me, am shocked that NO ONE has listed so far. One for the electric and one for the upright acoustic.

Electric: Will Lee

Acoustic: Brian Bromberg (though he does play both incredibly well)

First mention of these two monster bass players? WOW!

Without a doubt it would have to be Greg Lake. Awesome live sound that he had!

That huge ballsy clangy tone in Fanfare For The common Man during the six minutes of blues jam in the middle of the song.

I'm gonna mention some that haven't. been mentioned.

Tony Franklin(The Firm & Blue Murder)
Billy Shehain (Independent,David Lee Roth)
Stu Hamm (Independent)
James Dewar(Robin Trower)

Also it's hard too believe that Bill Wyman & Jack Bruce have only one mention each.

Bonzolead

Only one my a$$.......Francis Rocco Prestia! (John Entwhistle, Dee Murray, Sir Paul, Flea, Ray Brown, Stuka.....................) et al

Back