Ian Paice

I saw Deep Puple at the House of Blue's in Orlando, it was an exciting show, and Ian seemed as tight and as groovy as ever. He has a very crisp style of fills, he is always entertaining to watch and listen too. He also has a very distinct swing feel to his playing, a lot of my favorite rock drummers have that quality.

Ian Paice, the older the better!

Hello, All.

Just a brief comment to share with you.
Ian Paice - Deep Purple, the older he gets the better drumming he does, for us.
Let the mule remain kicking!

Thanks & Regards.

Ian Paice was my biggest influence. He was the first guy that I heard do things like follow the guitar riff and go over the bar line with his fills. His fills on outros especially are stunning. Pictures of home, Mary Long, etc, he always added something to a song that was unexpected, and his groove was so identifiable. When you heard those sound edge hats on the radio, you knew it was deep purple. As a teenager, I remember telling my drum teacher, (a very accomplished player), about how impressed I was with Ian Paice, to which he replied, "That guy is not a drummer, all he does is single stroke rolls". Then he showed me all this stuff by Gadd and other more fusion type drummers, who were great, but didn't way me from Ian being the favorite. it is interesting that after playing drum now for over 30 years, and having developed a better understanding of technique, when I look back at Ian's playing I can see how wrong that teacher was. Although he is not as firey now as he was when he was young, no one was doing kind of drumming he did in rock music when he did it. That mule solo is still one of the truly great drum solos of all time. Not bad when you consider all the training videos etc that are out there today, and Ian never had the benefit of any of that. A true great. A true drumming pioneer, and still going strong.

Baz

Some time ago, I was told that Ian still uses his old Ludwigs for recording. Naturally this was NOT from Ian himself so I can't be 100% sure if that is the case.
I've heard that also. But the Pearl Masters Premium http://www.pearldrum.com/masters.asp with a thin 4 ply (Luddie was 3) and maple reinforcement rings is gonna come darn close to that good old Luddie sound.

I would lilke to add, that, on the "Machine Head" album, if you listen to "Maybe I'm a Leo", lesten to the fills in that song, they're great.
Don't take this the wrong way, but, I would put his technical skills above Bonham.... I am not bashing Bonham, just an opinion regarding Paice's skills.

Any of you Ian Paice fans (I am) play his signature snare drum?
Are you happy with the sound & particularly the internal damper?
Do you use the damper & does it do a good job?

The Ludwig (supra I think) used to have an internal damper, but not now.
I ask as because I fancy a nice Pearl kit (& another snare).....when I get time to have a good look around.
Thanks.

Hello, All.

With such great albums and drumming on: In Rock, Machine Head, Fireball, Made In Japan, Made In Europe, Live in London...Ian Paice does an remarkable, outstanding playing, I remain his follower.

All the Best,

Ian

Yeah, LAZY what a classic!
Ian Paice is still one of my favorite drummers..
Loved seeing them live in the 70's, 80's & 00's.

As a teenager, I remember telling my drum teacher, (a very accomplished player), about how impressed I was with Ian Paice, to which he replied, "That guy is not a drummer, all he does is single stroke rolls". Baz

Paice is not a drummer and all he does is single stroke rolls? I guess all Bonham did was triplets! Talk about not seeing the big picture! That's a rather shortsighted comment coming from "a very accomplished player". I have no problem with him wanting to show you the styles of Gadd and people like but to minimize what Paice does in that manner is inexcusable in my book. Paice is only one of the all time great rock drummers and his body of work speaks for itself. Shame on your drum teacher.

Paice is not a drummer and all he does is single stroke rolls? I guess all Bonham did was triplets! Talk about not seeing the big picture! That's a rather shortsighted comment coming from "a very accomplished player". I have no problem with him wanting to show you the styles of Gadd and people like but to minimize what Paice does in that manner is inexcusable in my book. Paice is only one of the all time great rock drummers and his body of work speaks for itself. Shame on your drum teacher.
Bravo! But then again, I would have felt the same way if anyone had said anything in Ian's defense.

I agree with the baz on his playing on DP's outros. The Shield (Book of Taliesyn), Unwritten Law (House of the Blue Light), Flight of the Rat (In Rock),...

I would not have a problem if that drum teacher had told his student that Paice is a fine, accomplished drummer but there are other styles of drumming he would like to show his pupil. But to be that dismissive of a professional drummer who is revered the world over and has Ian's track record is absolutely ridiculous. And as great as Gadd is I'm sure there are young drummers out there who would be content with being the next Ian Paice. I don't see anything wrong with that.

In my opinion if Ian Paice is a single stroke roller and not a drummer, that kind of comment is out of context due to single stroke rolls are part of drumming. We all do single stroke rolls...enjoy Ian's pictures, The Mule kicks.

Thanks & Regards,

Attachments

• Ian-Paice-2..jpg
    Ian-Paice-2..jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 5,661
  • Ian-Paice-3.jpg
    Ian-Paice-3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 11,066
  • ianpaicesnare.jpg
    ianpaicesnare.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,064
URGENT:Ian Paice fans.

Interview with Ian Paice can be heard on your laptop at www.planetrock.com Sat 13th Dec 18.00 GMT & repeated on Tue 16 th Dec 18.00 GMT

Hello, Royal.

Thanks a lot, mate! Good job...The Mule kicks.

From Mike Dolbear:

Ian Paice needs no introduction. He is the powerhouse that has for 40 years propelled Deep Purple with a deep sense of groove, power, swing and swagger. He remains the only man to have played in all the line ups since the bands inception. He spawned a whole generation of rock drummers with his speed, control and knowing when to leave space. His career has also taken in the multi platinum Whitesnake outfit and funky offshoots such as Paice Ashton Lord. He continues to mesmerise audiences - but it is his lengthy recording legacy that is astonishing.

The following question was asked to Ian Paice:

In terms of technique, you’re well known for a very fast even single stroke roll and doubles as well, how do you keep that up over the years?

I think every player has things they find easier than other things. I’ve always found doubles very simple, and that means both speed and power, singles almost as simple. The singles the most basic thing in the world, the hard thing with singles is when you’re getting up to a good speed is to keep the evenness of the hands, your weak hand always wants to start doing something different whether it gets tired or just slightly out of synch. That’s just practice. I don’t mean to practice for hours at a time, it’s a matter of just keeping the muscles remembering what they’re meant to do, and it might be two or three minutes a day. At the end of the day the real speed starts with your fingers, it’s a matter of just getting the muscles in balance, so singles and doubles I’ve never really found difficult. I find flams a little more demanding, I play them but I’m sure I don’t play they correctly, but it’s sort of worked OK for me.

Cheers,

Back